Opinions! questions about letting your hair grow (PICS)

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
Here´s the deal, I´ve been taking finasteride for 6 and a half months, I´ve seen some results, hair is darker and thicker, thinning areas decreasing and so on. So far so good,

But I´m sick and tired of the buzzed look and I really wanna grow my hair out. I´ve asked my closest friends for their opinions and they are all saying "dude you´re not balding" "I cant see anything" or "your hair has always been like that" and I do believe thats their honest opinions and not just them trying to be nice and not hurt my feelings, but I also realise that they dont have a clue...( they dont notice thinning like we do),

So brothers please take a look at these pics and let me know what you think. Can I grow it out and have it look...well, cosmetic acceptable? I took the pics from the "worst" angles and the bathroomlighting is shining on my thinning spots to really show how it looks in every pic. And it almost made me cry!!
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stu ... /my_photos

Axon

Reaction score
Your hairline is strong and I wouldn't be concerned about it. We're pretty much at the same level of loss - I have a 2" by 2" thin spot on my crown and a strong hairline. My thinning already has a well-established pattern, much like yours, and I don't think I'll lose anymore ground in the back, which is fairly comforting.

I can see some thining (nothing terrible) on your crown and I must warn you that long hair, especially if your hair is dark, will show it more. I'm of a light olive complextion with black hair and it shows through. It's quite frustrating.

However, at a certain length you get "assistance" from the thicker, darker hair up front. I use this tactic to cover my thin spot; after two months of growth it's pretty difficult for me to notice any thinning unless I start moving hair around.

So, there will be an akward growth stage which should eventually give way to easier hiding of the thin area. It's up to you.

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah...What you´re writing is pretty much what I´m thinking. I hope your right and I know it will look like sh*t for some months before it grows to decent length. that part is hard to take so I´ve ordered a disc of dermatch. I´ve heard so much good about this product. I hope it will match my haircolor..

Thanks for your answer.

Finally I have to say that I think your avatar is too violent Axon, :D

Axon

Reaction score
Yeah, the baby didn't want to enter the 36 chambers and step to the Wu.

SadSad

Established Member
Reaction score
odb said:
Here´s the deal, I´ve been taking finasteride for 6 and a half months, I´ve seen some results, hair is darker and thicker, thinning areas decreasing and so on. So far so good,

But I´m sick and tired of the buzzed look and I really wanna grow my hair out. I´ve asked my closest friends for their opinions and they are all saying "dude you´re not balding" "I cant see anything" or "your hair has always been like that" and I do believe thats their honest opinions and not just them trying to be nice and not hurt my feelings, but I also realise that they dont have a clue...( they dont notice thinning like we do),

So brothers please take a look at these pics and let me know what you think. Can I grow it out and have it look...well, cosmetic acceptable? I took the pics from the "worst" angles and the bathroomlighting is shining on my thinning spots to really show how it looks in every pic. And it almost made me cry!!

I think it looks fine try growing it out =) anyways u have any before pictures im just gona start taking finasteride. and i understand results vary but still :D

Jude

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, your hairloss is so, so slight. Just a some moderate, MODERATE thinning at the back. Nothing Propecia/minoxidil won't solve. Your hairline is kickin ***. It's a straght line with a slight recession at the temples (unlike mine which is more of the McDonalds logo kinda pattern like my NW2 avitar.). You can do whatever the f*** you want with your hair now. Grow it out. Spike it up. Go mad!

You have also made terrific progress with Propecia. I just checked those before and after pics and boy, is that sh*t workin for you. Keep it up and you should'nt have any problems in the future. Well done bro!

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
odb said:
Sadsad yes I got some pics "baseline and after 3 months" check it out...

odb that difference between baseline and 3 months is incredible! if uve progressed as much up to 6 months u must be doing great. you seem like a really good responder. dont worry too much about your hair in really really bright light with a shaved head it always looks deceptively worse. i reckon if you grow it out the thinning can be covered with a little styling when its longer. if you have an awkward phase use some couvre i hear it works well with blonde hair as well as dark.

Trilidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Shot in the dark, but are you part irish odb?

Anyway your hairloss is alot like mine, although I think I have more overall thinning.

I keep mine grown out some, should look good on ya, especially the longer it gets.

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my late reply.

Trilidion No I´m not irish....Im from Sweden...ja..

youngguy. I got a disc of dermatch, I think its like couvre, it colors your scalp and also bulks up your thinning hair. I have to say that dermatch is F****N awesome. With dermatch on even I cant tell that Im thinning.

LOL hairloss screws with your mind, I can take a look in the mirror and think.."damn this looks good, Im not thinning" and then five minutes later I take a look in the mirror again "OH F**K..Im a NW7"

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i dont see any reason why it would look bad if you grew it out.Although like other posts about this.......after you grow your hair out(since you have dark hair)highlight the tips of your hair,that will make it harder to see your scalp because of the contrast.Atleast thats what i do.

hopewas

Reaction score
wanderlaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii silva. if your hairloss is bad or getting bad and you let it grow long..it'll be more noticible. you'd be surprised how you can conceal your hairloss by cutting it short. if you let it grow. don't let it grow too long

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopewas: How well you are able to conceal thinning areas and how your hair looks long is completely dependant on what type of hair you have. I have longer curly/wavy hair and it allows me to manipulate and style it so that it seems like I have allot more hair then I actually have. If I were to cut my hair short it would be quite obvious. Having long hair is a neccessity for me.

ODB: Progress looks great, i'm sure you'll look fine with longer hair.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopewas: How well you are able to conceal thinning areas and how your hair looks long is completely dependant on what type of hair you have. I have longer curly/wavy hair and it allows me to manipulate and style it so that it seems like I have allot more hair then I actually have. If I were to cut my hair short it would be quite obvious. Having long hair is a neccessity for me.

ODB: Progress looks great, i'm sure you'll look fine with longer hair.