Onion juice, extremely effective for Alopecia Areata, PUBMED

michael barry

Reaction score
1: J Dermatol. 2002 Jun;29(6):343-6.LinksOnion juice (Allium cepa L.), a new topical treatment for alopecia areata.
Sharquie KE, Al-Obaidi HK.
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Baghdad Teaching Hospital, Iraq.

Alopecia areata is a patchy, non-scarring hair loss condition. Any hair-bearing surface may be involved, and different modalities of treatment have been used to induce hair regrowth. This study was designed to test the effectiveness of topical crude onion juice in the treatment of patchy alopecia areata in comparison with tap water. The patients were divided into two groups. The first group [onion juice treated] consisted of 23 patients, 16 males (69.5%) and 7 females (30.5%). Their ages ranged between 5-42 years with a mean of 22.7 years. The second group [control; tap-water-treated] consisted of 15 patients, 8 males (53.3%) and 7 females (46.6%). Their ages ranged between 3-35 years with a mean of 18.3 years. The two groups were advised to apply the treatment twice daily for two months. Re-growth of terminal coarse hairs started after two weeks of treatment with crude onion juice. At four weeks, hair re-growth was seen in 17 patients (73.9%), and, at six weeks, the hair re-growth was observed in 20 patients (86.9%) and was significantly higher among males (93.7%) compared to females (71.4%) P<0.0001. In the tap-water treated-control group, hair re-growth was apparent in only 2 patients (13%) at 8 weeks of treatment with no sex difference. The present study showed that the use of crude onion juice gave significantly higher results with regard to hair re-growth than did tap water (P<0.0001), and that it can be an effective topical therapy for patchy alopecia areata.

If only alopecia areata were androgenic alopecia. Thats very effective statistically, even more than the essential oils in the Scottish study in the Archives of Dermatology. They had to apply the juice twice daily. Im guessing they had to wash it off in about half an hour because of the smell...........you could not walk around smelling like an onion. Interesting stuff.

Boondock

Reaction score
Very interesting indeed. If it's so effective, though, why are so many people with Alopecia Areata still suffering?

larry27

Reaction score
in the alopecia areata like in the androgenic alopecia
the inmune sistem are involved, and seems that
the onion have imunosupresant propierties
do you think that its that the cause of success?

excuse my english

Cassin

Reaction score
There was an old study done in Iran about this...

we have dozens of guys across various forums doing it. Can't recall anyone sticking with it for more than a week or so...for obvious reasons.

Boondock

Reaction score
^ True that, although you'd have thought it'd be possible to isolate the compound in onion juice providing the benefit, and manufacture it to smell a bit less awful.

G

Where do I go to swap my androgenic alopecia condition to alopecia areata? Damn, it seems people with alopecia areata have far more positive results than androgenic people :(

Cassin

Reaction score
Boondock said:
^ True that, although you'd have thought it'd be possible to isolate the compound in onion juice providing the benefit, and manufacture it to smell a bit less awful.

something like that you have to wonder how long you can preserve the active ingredient.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
goten574 said:
Where do I go to swap my androgenic alopecia condition to alopecia areata? Damn, it seems people with alopecia areata have far more positive results than androgenic people :(

Really ? I would like to know what kind of treatments you are referring too. Recently I started to have alopecia areata n my beard. and believe me it is NOT fun especially if you have a big beard and you are hairy everywhere (neck and all..).

I actually juiced a full onion, but the cream in the fridge and applying when I can (it's hard to everyday)...

I am not sure if I can transplant hair there... I would definitely do it but I heard they will just fall again... so Alopecia aerata in this sense is even worse !!

(running out of patience)

G

waynakyo said:
goten574 said:

Really ? I would like to know what kind of treatments you are referring too. Recently I started to have alopecia areata n my beard. and believe me it is NOT fun especially if you have a big beard and you are hairy everywhere (neck and all..).

I actually juiced a full onion, but the cream in the fridge and applying when I can (it's hard to everyday)...

I am not sure if I can transplant hair there... I would definitely do it but I heard they will just fall again... so Alopecia aerata in this sense is even worse !!

(running out of patience)

Hair loss in the beard region is extremely minor, most men shave around that area and do so by choice. I understand neither condition is nice but look at the Scottish study with essential oils, and the various home remedies such as onion and garlic. I don't know if these work but studies suggest they do help a lot but only with Alopecia Areata. If I had a choice, I would rather be treating Areata than Androgenic.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was just saying it sucks to have that - not trying to compare with scalp hair loss. Of course on some people with thin beard it wouldn't be noticeable for me, people have been pointing that out with a sense of weirdness even if i shave..

when i said AA sucks more than Androgenetic Alopecia, i meant on the scalp i would rather have Androgenetic Alopecia cause something can be done...

ali777

Reaction score
I'm so freaking tempted to put a few onions in the juice maker and apply some onion juice on my scalp for 10-15 mins every morning before showering :dunno:....

Just kidding :whistle:, it's not a cure for male pattern baldness so it's no use for me....

However, for someone willing to try it, this treatment is rather easy and cheap. All you need is a juice maker and the will to put up with all the smell for a bit.

Xrocksterrr

Reaction score
Dude alopecia means loss of the hair so it will work for male pattern baldness ! Ive been doing it for a little over a week and my little blonde hairs have been growing longer and thicker :) by the way Im 17 and ive been losing my hair since I was 15, this is the only thing that has worked for me. Not shampoos nor oils. So i think you should try something before disproving it and ruining anyones hopes of trying it. It WORKS ! But be patient, i have a receeding hairline and its working, so for those of you with that type of hairloss, it will work but give it atleast a month. It can even show results in as little as 2 weeks or in my case a couple of days. I hope this helps thankyou and god bless :)

Jacob

Reaction score
http://www.arboretum-skincare.com/hair_treatment.htm

Ingredients: Extracts of Nettle, Burdock root, White Onion, Birch bark, Oak bark, St. John’s Wort, Red Pepper, Sea Kelp, Chamomile, Lemon, Castor oil, Lecithin liposomes, Xanthan Gum, Vitamins A, E, Essential oils of sage, ylang-ylang, chamomile, lavender and palmarosa.