oily scalp

taiwanboy

Reaction score
i have really oily scalp, and most of my friends who suffer male pattern baldness have the same problem.
Does oily scalp really increase hairloss?
how can i stop oily scalp?
any recoommend on shampoo?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
taiwanboy said:
i have really oily scalp, and most of my friends who suffer male pattern baldness have the same problem.
Does oily scalp really increase hairloss?
how can i stop oily scalp?
any recoommend on shampoo?

Does your hair get oily quickly also?

Something that might help (age old remedy) is after shampooing, turn off the warm water to the shower and let the cold water blast your head for as long as you can take it.

That procedure definitely helps w/ oily hair so I figure it helps w/ an oily scalp also. You'll see a difference in just a few days.

I do it everyday. Also helps gets your arse up and going in the morning :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never heard of that, and I can't imagine why it would help...

Bryan

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I've never heard of that, and I can't imagine why it would help...

Bryan

This was something out of a haircare book I got way back when - the same book that talking about hair brushing techniques and hair tugging techniques and scalp massage techniques and the supplements of the day (wheat germ, brewer's yeast, etc.).

Prior to going on minoxidil, I always had oily hair. Had to shampoo in the evening if I wanted to go out somewhere special in the evening.

But I started doing this cold water blast - and it really did clear up the oilies - sorry I don't know why.

I started up again this spring after years of not doing it - it's also supposedley a circulation aid.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
i have oily scalp which in turns makes my hair oily and looks sh*t later in the day so im going to try this cold water thing.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
nervx said:
i have oily scalp which in turns makes my hair oily and looks $#iT later in the day so im going to try this cold water thing.

I've worked my up to the point where I let the cold water blast the back of my neck, and then slowly rotate my head under the shower until it blasts my temples. I can do this 3 x before I can't take it any more :)

Look at it this way - it's free, a minimal time investment, and may be of some benefit. It certainly won't hurt you (just remember to breathe when that cold water is blasting the top of your head. When I first started back up again - I found myself holding my breath from the shock to my system.)

As I recall, the first time I started doing this I noticed the oilies lessening by maybe day 3 or 4.

Good luck - hope it helps you.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
IBM said:
I had oily hair. I got oil 6/7 hours after washing my hair. But with minoxidil 5% which i'm using since a month and one week the oily thing stopped and i'm much better with the itches

Same exact thing happened to me - although I never had the itchies to begin with.

The alcohol in the minoxidil stipped / dried my hair, giving it more body and got rid of the oily hair.

That's probably when I stopped doing the cold water water blast. I started back up just hoping that it'll shock my hair into a regrowth phase. (Hey - don't laugh - it could happen :freaked2: