Numerous vitamin supplements?

shamura

Reaction score
My hair loss has been going on for a while now and I think part of it may be because of bad nutrition since I don't always eat the best (or enough at times).

I've looked into various articles talking about supplements that could help, such as what's listed on this site:

http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/ ... rition.htm

Going by this info I need to take the following:

B-vitamin complex
B3 5g (3 per day)
B5 100mg (3 per day)
B6 50mg (3 per day)
Biotin 50mg (3 per day)
Inositol 100mg (2 per day)
Vitamin C 10,000mg
Vitamin E 1,000mg
Zinc 100mg
L-Cysteine 500mg (2 per day)
L-Methionine 500mg (2 per day)

This, in addition to the general multi-vitamin I already take for general nutrition and my 1mg per day Propecia, would mean I'd have to take 22 pills per day total. I don't mind taking them all, but is this actually a good idea? I don't want to overdose on anything.

Also, what times should I be taking them? I assume not all at once.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Forget that sh*t its not related to vitamins. You're just wasting money - get on real treatments.

shamura

Reaction score
It's been well documented that many of those vitamins/nutrients play a part in hair growth and maintenance, so I don't believe that none of it matters.

I was hoping for a little more help. :(

Cassin

Reaction score
shamura said:

No....you wanted someone to agree with you. We simply told you the truth.

You can eat nothing but raw veggies and fruit...no meat and stop masturbating and it won't help.

s.a.f

Reaction score
shamura said:
It's been well documented that many of those vitamins/nutrients play a part in hair growth and maintenance, so I don't believe that none of it matters.

M.p.b is a completley separate (and natural) condition. Its like blaming grandads wrinkles on lack of vitamins. The world is full of extremley unhealthy people with full heads of hair and extremley healthy bald guys.
There are people in 3rd world countries suffering from real malnutrition with NW1's. Unless your diet is completley devoid of any nutrients you cant blame or even link that to your hair.

I recently watched a documentry on eating disorders in which a man in his 30's had eaten nothing since childhood apart from Jam sandwiches. He had a full head of hair and no health issues.

shamura

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
shamura said:

M.p.b is a completley separate (and natural) condition. Its like blaming grandads wrinkles on lack of vitamins. The world is full of extremley unhealthy people with full heads of hair and extremley healthy bald guys.
There are people in 3rd world countries suffering from real malnutrition with NW1's. Unless your diet is completley devoid of any nutrients you cant blame or even link that to your hair.

I recently watched a documentry on eating disorders in which a man in his 30's had eaten nothing since childhood apart from Jam sandwiches. He had a full head of hair and no health issues.

Different people have different physiology than others. That's like saying "testosterone has nothing to do with hair loss since most men have testosterone and many dont lose their hair."

It doesn't take more than a simple google search to find thousands of articles and doctor testimonies on the links between nutrition and balding. I expected a forum on the discussion of hair loss to know something about this, but I guess not.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Good luck with your vitamin regimen I guess all us balding guys just have bad diets then? :whistle:

Ps you can probably find studies linking baldness with everything from smoking to lack of sleep does'nt make it true though.

malo

Established Member
Reaction score
There are cases of people having deficiencies (vitamin and nutritional) that cause hair loss, but it wouldn't be in the form of male pattern baldness it would probably be diffuse thinning over the entire scalp.

Cassin

Reaction score
malo said:
There are cases of people having deficiencies (vitamin and nutritional) that cause hair loss, but it wouldn't be in the form of male pattern baldness it would probably be diffuse thinning over the entire scalp.

Bingo.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
"Balding" and "Male Pattern Baldness" are not the same thing. If you have male pattern baldness, then vitamins will not, I repeat, NOT, stop your hair loss. Now, taking a multi-vitamin every day isn't a bad idea, but don't expect it to cure baldness...'cause you're just setting yourself up for massive disappointment :-/

BenVegas01

Reaction score
Although taking vitamins on there own will do little for male pattern baldness - its difficult to know the possible synergetic effect of taking traditional hairloss medicine with anti oxidents and certain vitamins supplements.

There is often a surprising synergistic effect between chemicals and certain vitamins. A good example is in chemotherapy where studys have shown in some treatments that the drug and the anti oxident / vitamin are more effective than the drug itself.

Obviously you wouldn't take a vitamin or anti oxident and expect to treat cancer alone, but together they can help. (And also hinder if you get the combination wrong)

For example, im not sure quite what to make of this, but here is a study that talks about this synergistic effect.

http://www.hairlossindia.com/images/pub ... um-USA.pdf

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
I see both sides of the story here, but the dude above kind of has it right imo.

Although vitamins along aren't going to stop male pattern baldness, i'm sure they will be more beneficial in helping the cells and follicles in defending themselves from DHT, which is the cause of hairloss.

If I was you, I'd take your multivitamin, and a skin & hair complex which have most of the vitamins you listed in, saves you having to take the 22 pills.

It might be worth looking into something like Co-Enzyme Q10, MSM, Collagen (types 1 and 3) and hyaluronic acid, which you can get all of them in capsule form. They may help regenerate cells damaged by male pattern baldness.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your vitamins will NOT help you.

In fact, Vitamin E supplements can cause increased risked to heart failure. Get your Vitamin E from foods.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamine/
Participants taking vitamin E were 21% more likely to be hospitalized for heart failure
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/21346.php
Vitamin E supplements may increase heart failure risk
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/ ... than-helps
Vitamin E Harms More Than It Helps
http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/512/0
Vitamin E Link to Heart Failure Puzzles Researchers
I Broke the Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness download
Many so-called 'supplements' have certain risks involved.

Vit C supplements can cause increased risks to arteriosclerosis. Hence, Vit C supplements may even promote your hairloss.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
It's possible that the E vitamins (of which there are 8) are a bit like the B vitamins in that it doesn't make too much sense to load up on just one form of them.

1 study has shown tocotrienals to be beneficial for hair, but caveat emptor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocotrienol

I think the hope study used tocopherol a different form of the vitamin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocopherol

The evidence we need still isn't there (for cardio health), but i do wonder whether or not the increase in heart problems could have been due to adding a vitamin e to someones regimen when they're already on blood thinners.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
From both my readings and experience, I can tell you that vitamins alone will not stop male pattern baldness-related hair loss for long, if at all.

However, vitamins, combined with minerals and herbs, have been shown not only to stop hair loss, but also, regrow hair in some cases. This is a fact, irrespective of what posters like Freakout claim, as he does not write from experience.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
The Natural said:
However, vitamins, combined with minerals and herbs, have been shown not only to stop hair loss, but also, regrow hair in some cases. This is a fact, irrespective of what posters like Freakout claim, as he does not write from experience.

shown by who??

powersam

Reaction score
The Natural said:
From both my readings and experience, I can tell you that vitamins alone will not stop male pattern baldness-related hair loss for long, if at all.

Show me studies.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
It's possible that the E vitamins (of which there are 8) are a bit like the B vitamins in that it doesn't make too much sense to load up on just one form of them...
... The evidence we need still isn't there (for cardio health), but i do wonder whether or not the increase in heart problems could have been due to adding a vitamin e to someones regimen when they're already on blood thinners.
We excrete 7 of the 8 types of Vitamin E. Yeap, we use only 1.

About a quarter of a million people who participated in three studies in the late 1980s showed dietary Vitamin E to be essential for good health which includes cardio coronary and neurological conditions.

In the 1990s, several test tube experiments showed that Vitamin E group was a powerful antioxidant. It shot to fame as the most popular antioxidant.

BUT the "antioxidants are good and free radicals are bad" was a theory gone wild. Some experts now suggest some level of free radicals is esentail for good health.

In the 2005s, thousands of participants in a randomized studies showed that
those who took supplemental Vitamin E fared worse than those who took placebos. How dietary Vitamin E does its' job is not well understood. What ever it is doing, it is not an antioxidant.

Anyone who claims that Vitamin E supplements help is way behind in his readings.

Let me add that Vitamin A supplements, in particular betacarotene, contributes to lung cancer development among smokers.

If any of you believe vitamins and minerals help in preventing male pattern baldness, get them from foods NOT supplements NOT extracts. Nobody can say at this point that it helps but nobody can say that it does not to some extent.

BTW, I post studies NOT claims. Posting an 'experience' is a CLAIM. THere's nothing 'natural' about taking supplements and extracts.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
[
We excrete 7 of the 8 types of Vitamin E. Yeap, we use only 1.

I probably crap MDMA doesn't mean my body didn't use it.

If you read that page again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocotrienol

I don't see how the numerous effects could be claimed by the studies without the other forms of vitamin e affecting the body.

Do you have anything to back up the statement about 1 in 8 of the forms being used by the body?

Also

Freakout said:
three studies in 1980s showed dietary Vitamin E to be essential

In the 2005s, thousands of participants in a randomized studies showed that
those who took supplemental Vitamin E fared worse than those who took placebos.

Anyone who claims that Vitamin E supplements help is way behind in his readings.

I'm just an average guy, who isn't a doctor but ....

While the majority of research on vitamin E has focused on alpha-tocopherol, studies into tocotrienols account for less than 1% of all research into vitamin E.[7]More recently, tocotrienols have reached a new measure of scientific recognition, with nearly 30% of peer-reviewed research articles on the vitamin published within the last two years (2009-2010). The first-ever scientific compilation of tocotrienol research, Tocotrienols: Vitamin E Beyond Tocopherols, was published in 2008 by CRC and AOCS Press, while a second edition has been approved for publication in May 2012.

Isn't all that after 2005?

For the record, I don't take vit e, I take enough fish oil so don't take other supps which may thin my blood, I just want to get to the bottom of what is the truth behind these statements.

You're probably right though anybody who can claim either way whether or not vit e is useful is behind the studies.