not satisfied with finasteride!

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been on big 3 for a year now, and I've added folligen about 2 months ago. I am receiving a lot more comments about my hair thinning than I was a year ago, but I think I've at least maintained. I know that I'll never be satisified until I've filled in my crown, I need regrowth! What can I add to my regimen. I'm thinking of switching to dutasteride. Anyone ever get regrowth on dutasteride without getting regrowth with finasteride?

Here's my photos

start of finasteride, september 04
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/smudge-p9120033.jpg

august '05
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/smudge-IMGP0314.jpg

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Alright here is a good example of the pitfalls of posting on online forums and of before and after photos:

1) The title of this thread. 80% of people skim the forum and all they see is that title. What they don't see is exactly what is required for him to be satisfied. Total filling in of his crown. Understandable to expect that if you're on the big three with your level of thinning .... but the title just implies finasteride doesn't work (again).

2) The pictures are not taken in the same light or at the same angle or distance. Angle isn't as horribly detrimental in these photos, but it helps to duplicate your before and afters as exactly as possible.

3) The length of your hair. In the first photo your hair is noticeably shorter which will *always* result in a thicker appearance. Longer hair separates and shows more skin. Thats just the way it is.

4) Your hair is *extremely* wet at the bottom in the second photo, and barely damp at all in the bottom of the first photo. The wetter the hair the thinner it will look.

5) Your hair is combed a completely different direction. Hair combed to the side always looks thicker than that which is vertical facing the camera. Old snake oilers trick. Overlapping hair always looks thicker.

I am not implying that your hair hasn't gotten worse. But could you get a haircut, dry your hair from the crown down like in the first pic, and brush it the same exact direction, and then take another "after" pic?

HairLossTalk.com

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
sh*t!...why has he thinned all over the "BACK" ...? very weird male pattern baldness pattern...is this an example of an unusable donor area?

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com,

Thanks for your response. I didn't think the consistency of my pictures would matter much since I really wanted full looking hair under any light/angle/whatever. Unfortunatley, I can't get new pictures using your suggested method. I got so depressed from the photos I took that I shaved my head with a 1 guard. I do have this photo that I took on the same day with dry hair.

1 year on big 3.. dry hair
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/smudge-IMGP0318.jpg

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
sh*t!...why has he thinned all over the "BACK" ...? very weird male pattern baldness pattern...is this an example of an unusable donor area?

Unusable donor hair... just what I need! Now all the peices of my life are falling exactly into place!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsmith

Reaction score
i wouldn't get so down- looking at that dry picture it looks like you may have actually thickened up a bit on the finasteride and almost definitely didn't lose ground... kind of hard to be absolutely sure though...

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
See how different lighting and environment can completely change people's respose and how things look?

Now... why did you add Folligen over Tricomin when Tricomin has the same technology behind it but significantly more data backing it?

HairLossTalk.com