not hair related... excercise ?

desar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey people,
In the last two years i have gained approximately 22lb. I'm 6'1 and weigh about 172. My normal weight isd around 150. My problem is that i have become a skinny fat man. I have skinny legs, big stomach, skinny arms, and all the other good stuff. So for all you excerise fiends out there give, let me know what I should be focusiong on to lose weight/ body fat. I will be joing a gym in january but was wondering what could be done at home, i.e body weight excercises.
THanks,
Desar

KO_thomas

Reaction score
desar said:
In the last two years i have gained approximately 22lb. I'm 6'1 and weigh about 172. My normal weight isd around 150. My problem is that i have become a skinny fat man. I have skinny legs, big stomach, skinny arms, and all the other good stuff. So for all you excerise fiends out there give, let me know what I should be focusiong on to lose weight/ body fat. I will be joing a gym in january but was wondering what could be done at home, i.e body weight excercises.

I would do a 3x a week fullbody type routine, if your just starting out. Also do cardio 3/4x a week at least 30 min. per session. At home you could do push-ups, pull-ups/chin-ups, dips(put 2 chairs togethor), crunches, situps, ect. And most of all eat a healthy diet, this is key if you want to lower bf%

The Gardener

Reaction score
I'd suggest weights and cardio. To get the maximum impact on your metabolism, I would suggest shorter workouts more frequently throughout the week. Say, an hour 5x a week if you can manage it... starting with weights for a half hour, cycling amongst body parts each day.. and then finish with 30 minutes of cardio which is what the American Heart Association says is optimum. Cycle your body parts with your weight workouts, say, chest/abs/triceps on one day, shoulders/back/biceps on day 2, legs on day 3? There are many different ways to cycle your workouts, and there are a lot of people here who know an awful lot more about training than I do so wait for their input to your thread. Cycling your workouts and keeping them short prevents your gym trips from getting boring. But, if you are only going to spend an hour at the gym each day as I suggest, then you really have to hit it 5x a week. If you can only manage 4x week, then you probably should spend an hour and a half there.

Another strong suggestion I would make is to alter your meal pattern. You want to eat smaller meals, more frequently during the day. You can still have a traditional breakfast, lunch, and dinner but also eat healthy snacks especially fruit in between meals. By introducing fruit between bkfast and lunch, and a few times between lunch and dinner, you keep your blood sugar more stable which keeps your metabolism high. In contrast, if someone who regularly skips a meal and only eats two real meals a day then the body tends to go into a 'conservation' mode, slows down metabolism, as it has been trained to prepare to wait several hours for the next meal. And, when you finally DO eat that next meal, you will tend to OVER eat as the body instinctively is in fat-storage mode not knowing how many hours it will have to wait for the meal following that. Get it?

Just my two cents... Red, Sting?.. the other resident bodybuilders on this forum please chime in!

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude 6"1 150 is below average for you're height. I am 5'11 and weight 175 with about 15%-17% body fat. For me 160 is either very cut / too skinny. When you were 150 you probably had very little muscle.

You basically have two choices, do a lot of cardio with some weights, and eat right. If you do it right you'll lose 1-1.5 pounds of fat a week, and should look a lot better in 8 weeks or so.

Second choice is just lift weights, and bulk up a bit. I know lots of guys with no chest, and look a lot fatter in the stomach then they are. A muscular chest will offsett the size of the belly.

G

From the sounds of it, I would:

Use weight training to add some muscle mass and strength

Alter your diet to minimize carbs--these really tend to bloat the belly area.

Add some mild cardio that you don't mind doing, say walking daily.

Good news--you can clean this up in about 8 weeks or so.

Good luck

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My advice is different from the rest. I suggest you try to bulk up with weights this winter.

Lets face it, you aren't going to change your diet while the holidays are going on, and you probably wont be active enough during the cold season to lose a lot of fat.

So I suggest turning those calories into muscle so that next summer you can get in shape and not be such a bean pole.

Lift 3-4 times a week, 45-60 minutes, heavy weights, sticking to the basics, bench, squats, deadlifts, rows, ect.

Then next summer cut back on the weights a bit and add 2 days of aerobics, preferably in the morning with an empty stomach so you burn fat instead of carbs. Tighten the diet up then.

HairyN

Established Member
Reaction score
buy a jump rope...and do as much stretching as you can

it'll prepare you for humongous (injury free) gains when you starting working out at the gym

G

HairyN said:

it'll prepare you for humongous (injury free) gains when you starting working out at the gym

HOW?

bombscience

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
From the sounds of it, I would:

Use weight training to add some muscle mass and strength

Alter your diet to minimize carbs--these really tend to bloat the belly area.

Add some mild cardio that you don't mind doing, say walking daily.

Good news--you can clean this up in about 8 weeks or so.

Good luck

What bruce lee said. I would say low impact cardio that gets your heart rate between 130-148 beats a minute. So no running, as that will burn more muscle than fat. Then hit some light weights for strength.

KO_thomas

Reaction score
HairyN said:

I agree 5-10 minutes of stretching should be done before every workout to prevent injury, but stretching and jump roping aren't going to help much in making humongous gains. Working out hard, proper diet, and supplementation, are the only ways to make huge gains.

G

KO_thomas said:
HairyN said:

I agree 5-10 minutes of stretching should be done before every workout to prevent injury, but stretching and jump roping aren't going to help much in making humongous gains. Working out hard, proper diet, and supplementation, are the only ways to make huge gains.

Actually the Soviet athletes NEVER do static stretching as a warm up. They have research that shows that this:

Does not reduce injuries

Reduces your ability to express strength.

Rope skipping is an very good CV conditioner but will do nothing to get one ready for lifting weights.

To prepare to lift weights, one should..........lift weights.

Good luck all! :lol:

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Actually the Soviet athletes NEVER do static stretching as a warm up. They have research that shows that this:

Does not reduce injuries

I'm with the Russians on this, I never stretch before exercise, mainly do running and weights, and I don't get injuries as a result.

Does a Gazelle have time to get some stretching in when it spots a Cheetah coming at it full pelt?

G

Slartibartfast said:
BruceLee said:

Does not reduce injuries

I'm with the Russians on this, I never stretch before exercise, mainly do running and weights, and I don't get injuries as a result.

Does a Gazelle have time to get some stretching in when it spots a Cheetah coming at it full pelt?

Indeed, animals that survive need to be able to get right to it, like right away. Now, the soviets do employ flexibility training but it is very specific to the activity and the weightlifters employ mostly isometric based stretches as I understand it.

powersam

Reaction score
it all depends on what your aiming at. If you want to lose weight just do cardio and a little bit of weights. If you want to gain serious muscle forget about cardio for the most part , try to eat 6 times a day and see how much muscle you can pack on. Its far easier to put on muscle and then lose the fat rather than the other way round.

and on the stretching front, far better to do a lighter version of what you intend to do , ie/ lift about 40% of the weight you would normally use for a little bit just to warm up. warming up is very important , stretching before exercise is not. but stretch afterward by all means. this is the route taken by most athletes doing any kind of anerobic exercise. especially those involving explosive movement