no change in hairfall? .. 6 months

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
approaching the end of 6 months on 1 mg finasteride + ketoconazole 2% shampoo thrice a week, rotated with zinc shampoo / t-gel

so ok, 6 months so far and yet i'm losing the usual 70-80 hair a day. is this normal? shouldnt finasteride have helped with my shedding by now? people say it usually helps within the 3-4th month and that you notice a decrease.

i'm thinning diffusely so it'll take time before i actually notice the thinning, but i do feel as if my crown is thinning day by day because when i wash it feels like i touch scalp right away.

the worst thing is, its the 6th month mark and i still shed nothing but 'fine' hair. sometimes really really fine!.. shouldnt the DHT reduction have helped in the past 6 months to shed these hair and regrow if i'm losing 70-80 a day anyway?! these hair should've been the first to go!

plus, whats with this weird bruised feeling i get on certain spots on the scalp at times?.. its like a very slight bruised/burning feeling! anybody else get it?

dek

Reaction score
Im on month five with proscar and my shedding has been the same as it has for the last three years. No more, no less. there are a lot of posts on here about people having results around months 8 and 9, either shedding alot or halting the loss. regardless, its not an issue that you havent noticed anything yet...its only been six months.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah but i would've thought 6 months would've been enough for a body to adjust to the new DHT levels. 1 mg finasteride every for 6 months and not the slightest change in daily hairloss?.. and like i said, still shedding really fine hair, shouldnt the first couple of months have taken care of the follicles that were damaged the most?...

and this burning bruised feeling i was talking about, would be related to inflamation? and that in turn to DHT? so is finasteride just not addressing the issue properly or what..

does nizoral cause inflamation btw?.. i would've thought nizoral and t/gel would've said bye bye to inflamation but apparently not.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
yeah but i would've thought 6 months would've been enough for a body to adjust to the new DHT levels. 1 mg finasteride every for 6 months and not the slightest change in daily hairloss?.. and like i said, still shedding really fine hair, shouldnt the first couple of months have taken care of the follicles that were damaged the most?...

Look. Even if your body completely adjusted to finasteride at 6 months, it would take another 3 months for the hair that was caused to go into telogen to stop shedding and another few months for the new hairs put out by those follicles to be noticeable. Also why do you think the fine hairs would have been taken care of? Those are the worst off and most likely to grow for a few months and then fall out. You have to realize that these fine hairs can grow slower than normal hairs so they were probably growing when you started treatments. If you are not shedding more than a healthy ammount of good strong hairs then you are most likely in good shape in terms of maintaing non balding follicles. As far as the fine hairs go, who knows maybe they'll come back stronger, maybe they won't.

The itching burning sensation may be problematic. Nizoral should help with inflamation. DO you get this problem all over or is it just in spots?

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
well the itching is always on top of the head. doesnt last all day just half an hour to an hour max and then goes away.

the tingling burning sensation is pretty much restricted to the anterior of the scalp and very seldom towards the front right or left, right behind the hairline.

i'm using a 2% ketoconazole shampoo but that doesnt seem to be helping at all. also using a zinc shampoo. is it possible that the ketoconazole is whats irritating my scalp in the first place?..

another thing, would you happen to know if finasteride can worsen thyroid disorders?.. my shorttime memory seems pretty weak, i forget names and stuff really quick now which just isnt me. and its winters and i feel pretty cold all the time. my tsh was 4.3 , but the symptoms started showing up around a month after i started finasteride. basal temperature always below 97 or so throughout the day. plus feeling anxious etc.

i thought i'd started finasteride in time, cause i had a decent head of hair. thats not how things are turning out. my hair is thinning. since i'm thinning diffuse it takes time before it'll be visable, but i can 'feel' it when i was or when i take my hand through my hair. my front and the area right behind the hairline is the thinnest.

and whats with this whole nape area?!.. i'm losing ALOT of hair from the nape , and i thought even NW7 people lost the hair from the nape LAST.