Nizoral Shed?

fallout2rocks

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering does anyone else have the following experience?

Every night as I shampoo my scalp with Nizoral, I noticed that is the most significant shed I'd have during the whole day. I am about NW3 (previously NW5), and 6 month into the Big 3 treatment. I use Nizoral daily and noticed the following symptoms beginning last month. Unlike the beginning phase of the Big 3, when I shedded constantly, I don't seem to shed any other time of the day anymore? I don't find hairs on my shoulders/shirt, pillow top, or even when I wear a cap. This is alarming to me because I noticed that whenever I shampoo my hair now, I would collect at least 2 dozen strands of relatively thick, possibly newly grown hair on my hand. The same amount, every night, night after night! However, contrary to all previous hair product experiences, I'd loose very little, like 2 hairs when I apply minoxidil following the shower, after my head has dried.

I've always thought Nizoral was supposed to help you maintain your existing hair population and would never work as a stimulant like minoxidil? Is this correct? Do others have similar experiences like this? Does this mean Nizoral is working too well on my head? Or on the opposite, I must pick up some other anti-androgen in addition to Nizoral to rescue my existing hair? The method I apply Nizoral is like any other shampoo. I rub it in my hand first until it foams and then I apply it to my wet scalp for about 30-45 mins. Sometimes, it dries naturally on my scalp and I would rinse it off but never exceeding a hour or so.

Thanks for any advice and pointers!

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe try to cut down on the use. Daily 2% + accotionally topical 2% is VERY harsh on the scalp. And 30 - 45 min?! Trolling, typo or serious?

fallout2rocks

Reaction score
No-no, let me make a correction. I use 2% shampoo daily and I only use 2% cream scarcely whenever I'd miss the opportunity to shampoo.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Try to use shampoo every other day or every third day, leaving it in for 5ish minutes then rinse and see if the shedding stops. Pause the topical spironolactone until the shed stops. Your hair must extremely dry?

fallout2rocks

Reaction score
Thanks Mr.B, no spironolactone, just minoxidil + Avodart + Nizoral, please let me clarify again, I am surprised myself actually that my hair is "not dry" under the circumstances. :dunno: On the contrary, I think the daily usage of Nizoral merely tamed my oily scalp. My hair oddly doesn't feel dried or cracked when I run my fingers through it, just rather "diffused thin" if you catch what I mean.
I think this is what I'll do, if this situation persists until the end of the month, I am going to go back to using Nizoral every other day. Thanks again for the pointers!

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry, i wrote wrong. I dident mean to write stop the topical spironolactone, but the topical keto

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Mr.B, no spironolactone, just minoxidil + Avodart + Nizoral, please let me clarify again, I am surprised myself actually that my hair is "not dry" under the circumstances. :dunno: On the contrary, I think the daily usage of Nizoral merely tamed my oily scalp. My hair oddly doesn't feel dried or cracked when I run my fingers through it, just rather "diffused thin" if you catch what I mean.
I think this is what I'll do, if this situation persists until the end of the month, I am going to go back to using Nizoral every other day. Thanks again for the pointers!
Hey, just wondering how the avodart worked for you? Did you have a huge initial shed? Any decent regrowth?