Niacin Wikipedia ...Interesting...

Sparky4444

Reaction score
OK, need some help from the experts here on biochemistry...but this is from Wikipedia...Squeegee, what does this really mean??

Flushing is often thought to involve histamine, but histamine has been shown not to be involved in the reaction.[SUP][24][/SUP] Prostaglandin (PGD[SUB]2[/SUB]) is the primary cause of the flushing reaction, with serotonin appearing to have a secondary role in this reaction

nikemata

Reaction score
Prostaglandin is the main cause of any reaction in your body just like getting fever if they are triggered. We need drugs that actually inhibit the production of these prostaglandins to stop the reaction.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Prostaglandin is the main cause of any reaction in your body just like getting fever if they are triggered. We need drugs that actually inhibit the production of these prostaglandins to stop the reaction.

that doesn't make any sense to me...and it isn't the main cause of any reaction in your body...you get a reaction when your body releases histamine...the Wikipedia post said Niacin flushing is not from histamine release, but PGD2 release...I would think that if you're B3 niacin deficient, PGD2 would buildup in your skin cells...

Interesting note about mild Niacin deficiency is increased sensitivity to the cold...the past two years, I have become increasingly so, to the point of great stress in the winter time...It has been dramatic --- I get chills under the covers and can't seem to get my core temperature up unless I crank the heat in my house...My thinning has gone into hyperdrive the past two years..

nikemata

Reaction score
that doesn't make any sense to me...and it isn't the main cause of any reaction in your body...you get a reaction when your body releases histamine...the Wikipedia post said Niacin flushing is not from histamine release, but PGD2 release...I would think that if you're B3 niacin deficient, PGD2 would buildup in your skin cells...

Interesting note about mild Niacin deficiency is increased sensitivity to the cold...the past two years, I have become increasingly so, to the point of great stress in the winter time...It has been dramatic --- I get chills under the covers and can't seem to get my core temperature up unless I crank the heat in my house...My thinning has gone into hyperdrive the past two years..

Great,, severe niacin deficiency could be a serious problem. I read some infos that niacin will increase sex drives. Is it true? haha

Sparky4444

Reaction score
OK...Niacin is strongly linked to PGD2, COX-2, etc...all the players we've been trying to reconcile to hairloss...so how do we connect the dots?? It seems to me that the Niacin flush is releasing PGD2...isn't this what we want??

I took 150mg and had one hell of a flush breakout...since then, I haven't had as extreme flushes...I'm taking 300mg twice a day...It makes my skin buzz, if that makes sense...It seems that 1g/day is ok....gonna slowly get there and see how it goes...

nikemata

Reaction score
There are reports of abnormal hair growth reported by people who were on Niacin therapy...google it...

How can you prove it? Nicotinic acid is very helpful for our skin. If we are out of it then that will surely cause hair loss. Our skin becomes inflamed, mental impaired, and digestive problems. This disease is also called pellagra.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
How can you prove it? Nicotinic acid is very helpful for our skin. If we are out of it then that will surely cause hair loss. Our skin becomes inflamed, mental impaired, and digestive problems. This disease is also called pellagra.

Can't prove it, I just found some scuttle-butt on the internet that people who went on Niacin therapy had their hair grow like crazy...

...But it is reeeeally interesting how Niacin play's into all the buzz words linked to the new findings on hairloss...This stuff makes my skin buzz, it's weird...Had a crazy Niacin flush today....In layman's terms, it's like if our cells are backed up like a toilet, Niacin is liquid plumber...blood flows like crazy and all the bad stuff gets flushed out...

...the other interesting link is how sensitivity to cold is a symptom of Niacin depletion...The last couple of years, this has turned into a real development for me -- so much so that the last couple of winters I got really depressed because of the cold ...not good when you live in Edmonton...I would shiver in the morning and I would crank the heat in the house...my hands and feet frozen even though it's 20C in my house...

..I'm sticking with this..the flushes are intense but there is something to this....

Reaction score
Can't prove it, I just found some scuttle-butt on the internet that people who went on Niacin therapy had their hair grow like crazy...

...But it is reeeeally interesting how Niacin play's into all the buzz words linked to the new findings on hairloss...This stuff makes my skin buzz, it's weird...Had a crazy Niacin flush today....In layman's terms, it's like if our cells are backed up like a toilet, Niacin is liquid plumber...blood flows like crazy and all the bad stuff gets flushed out...

...the other interesting link is how sensitivity to cold is a symptom of Niacin depletion...The last couple of years, this has turned into a real development for me -- so much so that the last couple of winters I got really depressed because of the cold ...not good when you live in Edmonton...I would shiver in the morning and I would crank the heat in the house...my hands and feet frozen even though it's 20C in my house...

..I'm sticking with this..the flushes are intense but there is something to this....

Have you had any shedding since starting?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
You tried it? Where can I get pure Niacin (Vitamin B3)?

...yeah...you'll know for sure..it's a real buzz....you can get it from any health store...make sure it is Niacin(nicotonic acid) and not nictomide...ignore the spelling ;-)

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I did. I googled and went on the wild goose chases I always do. I'm tired now. I'm just combing through these thread trying to find if something works or not.

Jaded

Reaction score
Hope this helps
Garza and Cotsarelis have demonstrated that not only are PGDS and PGD2 elevated in the scalps of bald men, the levels elevate further in periods of regression. When PGD2 was applied topically to mice, it was found to interact with the GPR-44 receptor (but not PTGDR1 receptor) to inhibit hair growth.[1] A transgenic mouse model lacking expression of enzymes that break down PGD2 in the skin developed alopecia (baldness), follicular miniaturization, and hyperplasia of sebaceous glands - all of which are "hallmarks of human [androgenic alopecia]."[1] The authors concluded that the PGD2-GPR44 pathway was a target for inhibitory drugs designed to slow or even reverse hair-loss.[1]
There are two types of PGD2 receptors, DP1 and DP2 (DP2 is also known as 'GPR44' and 'CRTH2'). Laropiprant (Merck's drug) selectively blocks the PD1 receptor - Cotsarelis showed that the PD2 receptor (and not PD1) is involved in hair growth downregulation. BTW, niacin produces flushing via the PD1 receptor - the PD2 receptor is not involved in the flushing at all.

Setipiprant by Actelion blocks the right PGD2 receptor implicated in male pattern baldness (PD2). Right now, setipiprant is in phase 2/3 testing.
Niacin flushes PGD2 through the receptor that have nothing to do with hair loss, Niacin flush doesn't make make you lose hair, in fact it makes PGD2 less available to be used with the receptor that damages the hair. And knowing that lowering PGD2 it more important that raising PGE and PGf2a, i would say Niacin is a must for anyone wanting to keep hair, based on all the information now available.

It just takes a bit of reading comprehension, i've seen people on another forum, after reading the two quotes above, talking about using aspirin... for god sake, Aspirin is used to inhibit the flush on the receptor that have nothing to do with hair
loss hence making PGD2 more available to the receptor that have everything to do with hairloss! On top of that, aspirin inhibits cox-1 pathway, that's the pathway for growing hair!

Some people just doesn't deserve hair.

My only problem is i can't find pure niacin in my country.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Hope this helps

Niacin flushes PGD2 through the receptor that have nothing to do with hair loss, Niacin flush doesn't make make you lose hair, in fact it makes PGD2 less available to be used with the receptor that damages the hair. And knowing that lowering PGD2 it more important that raising PGE and PGf2a, i would say Niacin is a must for anyone wanting to keep hair, based on all the information now available.

It just takes a bit of reading comprehension, i've seen people on another forum, after reading the two quotes above, talking about using aspirin... for god sake, Aspirin is used to inhibit the flush on the receptor that have nothing to do with hair
loss hence making PGD2 more available to the receptor that have everything to do with hairloss! On top of that, aspirin inhibits cox-1 pathway, that's the pathway for growing hair!

Some people just doesn't deserve hair.

My only problem is i can't find pure niacin in my country.

Good post! I've been loading up on Niacin, about 500mg/day for the last week...No increase in shedding at all....In fact my hair feels better than it has in a longtime...I am also using Epsom Salts in the shower to help with inflammation...

I agree that this is an important part of the regime...More important than Tocotrienols or GLA or whatever...

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm with you on that as i'm with many i can't tolerate minoxidil or rogaine.

- - - Updated - - -

Good post! I've been loading up on Niacin, about 500mg/day for the last week...No increase in shedding at all....In fact my hair feels better than it has in a longtime...I am also using Epsom Salts in the shower to help with inflammation...

I agree that this is an important part of the regime...More important than Tocotrienols or GLA or whatever...

you've been on it a wk now, have you seen any less shedding?