newbie thinner needs help

nolo

Reaction score
Hey all. I've always been an avid user of forums for all topics that interest me. Imagine my delight when I found this site!

So here goes:

I'm 26 and started thinning about 1-1/2 years ago. It's nothing TOO dramatic, but I am starting to worry. I've lost almost an inch on my hairline and temples. The rest is thinning as well. Luckily, I've always had a good head of hair (thick and lots of it), so it's not too noticable to anyone but me.

I've been reading about all the different treatments and am not sure what would be appropriate for me. The "Big 3" seems to be the favorite around here, but I think that might be overkill for someone in my situation. I'm kinda scared of chemicals and I'd be happy just keeping the hair I have (well, a little regrowth would be nice).

I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm not opposed to reading up on treatments, but there are SO many out there that it's a little overwhelming. My current regimen consists of only Nizoral 1% to control the itching/flaking. Suggestions on where to purchase these treatments would also be helpful. I'm located in NY. Thanks in advance!

P.S. - My hair was always so annoying and difficult to style that I secretly wished for some hair loss. Now I'd give anything to not worry about how much I'm gonna end up losing :cry:

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Propecia might be enough, but remember you'll be balder by the time it starts working. minoxidil is a commitment but pretty standard addition to any regiment and gives you better odds. A DHT fighting topical is also a good idea. But if you want to go minimal, go with what you want and add stuff if you find its not working.

If you wanna read about a bunch of treatments, I wrote up a list of treatments I've come across. Find it here

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
nolo said:
Suggestions on where to purchase these treatments would also be helpful.
Minoxidil - regular Rogaine for $40, generic Kirkland for $20 for a 4 months supply at Costco. This is as good as it gets but you can find both almost anywhere.

Finasteride - comes in 2 forms - 1 mg Propecia and 5 mg Proscar. Both of these are from Merck here in the US. Propecia is about $50-$60 per month and Proscar is slightly more. But Proscar ends up being much cheaper cause you can cut the tablets into quarters and fifths or more. Also, you may be able to get a doctor to write a scrip for it. Generic finasteride from India is fairly popular too, though some are uncomfortable with the idea. (I use it) The generic proscar runs about $50-$60 for a whole year. Very economical. If you decide you want to purchase finasteride, just post a query titled "looking for finasteride online and cheap" and await the responses telling you where to go.

These are the 2 main ones and you already have Nizoral. If you go with something else, check the main page or post the specifics, somebody will know the best place.

Good luck.

jerry grant

bombscience

Reaction score
Hey Nolo,

You sound like you're in a similar situation as me when I started treatments. I would start with Finasteride (Propecia / Proscar). This has a good chance of slowing down, halting, or mildly reducing your thinning. Also every 3-4 days wash your hair with Nizoral to keep your scalp in good condition. Realize that Finasteride will typically take 6 months to a year to see slowing of hair loss or results. If you would like to boost that power and possibly regrow some hair then add minoxidil, but for someone who's loss isn't extremely noticible yet, I wouldn't reccomend it right away because it is a nice card to hold for 6 months - 1year down the road if Finasteride's results aren't satisfactory for you. Realize however, by taking this Finasteride & Nizoral only approach there is a greater probability that you could continue to loose more hair than if you were on all 3 (Fina, nizoral, and minoxidil).

zaireeka

Reaction score
i am in pretty well exactly the same position as you - 27 and about 2 years since i first noticed it starting to go at the temples, its now about an inch back. its still not noticeable, but it is i guess only a matter of time before it is, and the number of people on here saying 'i wish i hadnt waited so long' has convinced me i should do something about it sooner rather than later.

i havent started using anything yet, but after reading extensively on here and going to visit a trichological centre, i think i am going to start using a generic propecia (the real thing is too pricey and im pretty confident that the generic must have the same effect) and see how it goes. if it continues to get worse then i will probably try the regaine stuff, but like you i would rather use as little as i can get away with. plus just taking a tablet once a day seems so much simpler than slapping a load of lotion on my head and having it sitting there for an hour or two before it dries.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Grantspots said:
If you decide you want to purchase finasteride, just post a query titled "looking for finasteride online and cheap" and await the responses telling you where to go.
Earlier you were complaining about the redundant threads, and here you are asking for it! lol

HairLossTalk.com really should just pick one of those threads at random and pin it to the top of the forum

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
flux said:
Grantspots said:
If you decide you want to purchase finasteride, just post a query titled "looking for finasteride online and cheap" and await the responses telling you where to go.
Earlier you were complaining about the redundant threads, and here you are asking for it! lol
Yes, but notice the carefully chosen words.

jerry grant

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Grantspots said:
Yes, but notice the carefully chosen words.
lol,. ahh yes. We'll tell 'em where to go alright,.

Axon

Reaction score
zaireeka said:
i havent started using anything yet, but after reading extensively on here and going to visit a trichological centre, i think i am going to start using a generic propecia (the real thing is too pricey and im pretty confident that the generic must have the same effect) and see how it goes. if it continues to get worse then i will probably try the regaine stuff, but like you i would rather use as little as i can get away with. plus just taking a tablet once a day seems so much simpler than slapping a load of lotion on my head and having it sitting there for an hour or two before it dries.

Absolutely correct. Frankly, I'm not sure Minoxdil does ANYTHING for me, (it might, it might not) but I'm almost positive Finasteride does.

Regardless, there is no question that Finasteride is easier to use than Minoxidil, even if you can get minoxidil that dries in 20 minutes.

Nassau or Suffolx, by the way?

nolo

Reaction score
nassau and suffolk are counties in NY. he's asking which one i live in.

i'm on the nassau/queens border dude.