[newbie question]losing ~100 hair in a shower, is it normal?

rgbnm

Reaction score
I've set up a separate topic, as I could not find relevant info elsewhere in this forum. I wash my hair twice a week (with Nizoral), don't do much styling, and when I put my hand in the hair, I get usually a single (or two) hair with each stroke (so possibly no increased shedding). But I did a couple of counts recently during the washing, and the fallout is like 70-100 (each time). Since the daily norm is assumed to be 100, could this be a warning sign? Or nothing to worry about? Briefly about me: NW2, 20 y/old, slowly creeping up temples; most of the fallout from the top/crown. Thanks for any answers.

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
some people without male pattern baldness shed 100 and some with it shed 100 so its not really conclusive. counting/pulling your hairs wont prove much, but it will most probably stress you out

check your temples and crown for smaller, thinner or lighter hairs (miniturization) and really you should post some pics and get a few opinions if you want advice.

do you have baldness in the family, is your dad, grandad or mothers brothers bald and what ages did they go bald ?

rgbnm

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I've posted some pics in my thread (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70933), almost no family history (just one of my dad's brothers is going NW4 in his 50s, dad is 55 right now and NW2, much like me). I do have some light hair in the frontline, don't know if it indicates an ongoing miniaturisation, or is it rather fine to have some of them?

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
To me your hair looks fine. i'd say see a dermatolgist for a definate answer, as its not obviously male pattern baldness.
I cant make out any miniturazion from those pics, atleast not like mine and i think it is normal to have some smaller hairs at the hairline, just make sure they dont get any smaller and that the hair behind them starts to do the same thing.

seems your hair is the very fine and dense type, so naturally you could see more shedding.