New interesting article on PGD2 metabolite effects on hair.

Sweuser

Reaction score
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2016 May 17. [Epub ahead of print]
15-deoxy prostaglandin J2, the nonenzymatic metabolite of prostaglandin D2, induces apoptosis in keratinocytes of human hair follicles: a possible explanation for prostaglandin D2-mediated inhibition of hair growth.

Joo HW1, Kang YR1, Kwack MH2, Sung YK3.

Abstract

<abstracttext>Recent studies have shown that prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) and its nonenzymatic metabolite, 15-deoxy-Δ12,14-prostaglandin J2 (15-dPGJ2), inhibit in vitro growth of explanted human hair follicles and inhibit hair growth in mice through the GPR44 (DP2). However, the underlying mechanism is still unclear. In this study, we first investigated the expression of DP2 in human hair follicles and in cultured follicular cells. We found that DP2 is strongly expressed in the outer root sheath (ORS) cells and weakly expressed in the dermal papilla (DP) cells. We observed slight growthstimulation when ORS and DP cells were treated with PGD2. We also observed slight growth stimulation when DP and ORS cells were treated with low concentrations (0.5 and 1 μM) of 15-dPGJ2. However, 5 μM 15-dPGJ2 inhibited the viability and caused apoptosis of both cell types. Exposure of cultured human hair follicles to 15-dPGJ2 resulted in significant apoptosis in follicular keratinocytes. Altogether, our data provide an evidence that 15-dPGJ2 promotes apoptosis in follicular keratinocytes and provide rationale for developing remedies for the prevention and treatment of hair loss based on DP2 antagonism.</abstracttext>

• <button data-share="Facebook" title="Share on Facebook" class="share_facebook" ref="id=27185495&db=pubmed" style="font-family: inherit; font-size: 13px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; cursor: pointer; background-attachment: scroll; background-color: transparent; border: 0px none; height: 16px; padding: 2px; text-indent: -999em; width: 16px; background-image: url(<a href=" http:="" static.pubmed.gov="" portal="" portal3rc.fcgi="" 4114362="" img="" 3961366);"="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://static.pubmed.gov/portal/portal3rc.fcgi/4114362/img/3961366); opacity: 0.5; transition: opacity 0.2s linear 0s; -webkit-transition: opacity 0.2s linear 0s; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">Share </button>

Sweuser

Reaction score

Varsågod :)

Can I ask you about your regimen?

Are you applying taurine topically? It's supposed to supress TGF-beta, correct? Have you seen that TGF-b1 is one of the main components in Kerastems product?

Can you attribute any positive changes to taurine?

Thank you!

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Sure! I take Taurine to prevent perifollicular fibrosis:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16755026

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18489269

- - - Updated - - -

As I use it to prevent more fibrosis to happen, I see it as a maintenance item rather than something that would give me regrowth. I don't know what it's worth, but it seems that since I introduced Taurine and Astaxanthin my hair feels "more attached to my scalp" when I detangle it. I "move my hair" with less scalp pain. However I don't know if this can be attributed to Taurine or Astaxanthin (which is a powerful anti oxidant) since I introduced both at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Kerastem I didn't know. I'm fairly uninformed on upcoming treatments since I find the thought of them happening in several years very upsetting. I want to focus on what can be done RIGHT NOW TO STOP THIS MOTHER****ING HAIR LOSS

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Sorry Parisienne, it is a selfish question, but why don't you go with minoxidil?
I search signs to give up with it after only 1 week, but I am weak )

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry Parisienne, it is a selfish question, but why don't you go with minoxidil?
I search signs to give up with it after only 1 week, but I am weak )

I know it works, but I don't want to be enslaved to a topical that could possibly **** up my skin in the long term.