caggybandicoot

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is a message to say hello and give a brief breakdown of what my hair is doing at the moment. It's very nice to meet you all! I hope you're all well.

My name is Caroline. I'm a 22 year old music student at the RNCM in Manchester. I had my first experience with hair loss at age 15 when I went through a patch of diffuse thinning/Telogen Effluvium. It took a couple of years to resolve but it did eventually right itself. Fast forward to 7 months ago, I wash my hair one day and suddenly it is missing its density (bear in mind I've always had very thick hair - I'd break hair-ties just trying to put it up). It's been shedding for that time and has become comparatively thin. I've since been diagnosed with diffuse thinning (most likely due to a hormonal imbalance as I'm unlucky enough to have PCOS) and female pattern baldness. I've just signed up for a 12 month treatment course with the Belgravia Clinic in London so I'm hoping that will help with maintaining what I've got left. Heck, maybe I'll hope it'll start to regrow some of my hair.

I guess part of the reason my hair is going haywire could be due to stress - my father died in June 2012 after a 3 month battle with cancer and I started my degree in September of that year. I was braced for the hair loss to start, but it never did. Maybe it's a very delayed reaction to the stress and grief of that? I'm grasping at straws here, I know. Thoughts?

I guess I don't really need to tell all you guys how much this has been affecting me. Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time in tears and afraid to even touch my hair, let alone wash it or do anything with it. I'm apprehensive about starting treatment, as well. I feel almost silly getting so hung up over my hair but it's always been my one redeeming feature, and because I'm pursuing a degree in performance and I'm regularly singing in front of others, I'm anxious for it to look good, as people do notice it when they're watching you perform. I try hard not to worry, but I'm a pretty nervous/anxious individual, always have been.

What has everyone found to be effective with hair restoration? Am I ever gonna get my hair back?

Anyway, thanks for reading, everybody who does (and I'm sorry I've rambled a bit).

Caroline x