new hairpiece

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
i finally got the new hairpiece. I tried it on and it looks good. There is one problem, tho.

It looks TOO GOOD. Specifically, the volume of hair looks too full and lush. Meaning, nobody is going to believe a guy can grow such a lush and vibrant head of hair that would make even a girl's full head of hair give a run for its money.

What I'm trying to say is...I think its TOO dense. A better way of phrasing it. I think its unbelievably dense.

I'm thinking of cutting a chunk of hair to make it seem a bit less perfect and more flat. 99% of guys out there are struggling with their hair and trying to minimize its length to not seem like they're losing too much. With all the guys out there with shaved heads or receding hairlines; nobody is going to believe my hair can be that overwhelmingly voluminous.

I'm just worried that if i cut a chunk of hair from the piece to make it seem less voluminous and overwhelming and more flat and basic. It will be more believable, but i might error to the point that i'll ruin the entire piece altogether. That's a 2 months and a couple hundred bucks down the drain.

I was wondering what your opinion and input would be? I don't want people to declare without a doubt that I'm wearing a piece, from taking one glance at my hair. I think it needs to be more flat and a little less dense, hence making it more believable and more realistic.

BA, have you or anyone thought their brand new piece was too much that it couldn't be believable? That they decided to cut it down a bit to ease up on the dense density??

Its a lace piece. The beginner's piece. Not the more advanced laces, but the very beginner's lace.

Any thoughts? Have you been in this situation before? What do i do??

Should I see someone to see if they can cut it for me? A professional?

MartyKay

Reaction score
High hair density is usually a dead giveaway that you're wearing a piece. That's why the best systems are custom made to match your own natural hair density.

A good hair stylist can use thinning shears (also called blending shears) to thin out the excess density. If the density is WAY too high, thinning won't give you perfect results, but it will be an improvement. You can also buy a pair of thinning shears at a beauty supply store.

I'm guessing this is a stock system. If it's a custom-made unit and the density is way too high, find someone else to buy from in the future.

TheHairGuy

Reaction score
And speaking of density...

Always, always, ALWAYS - research, to the nth degree, BEFORE you buy a hair system. Seriously. The downside of not knowing exactly what you want, is not being able to communicate it to your hair company, which results in, well, bad results!

Do not use thinning scissors yourself. I wouldn't even let a stylist use them on a hair system; you'll end up feeling little rough stubbly bumps when you run your hands through your hair. Thinning is just cutting selected hairs down to the knots that holds them in place. Results in stubble.

My advice is to go back to your hair company, and ask for a thinner system i.e. one that matches the density of your own growing hair.

Best of luck

THG

MartyKay

Reaction score
Blending shears are fine for shaping and thinning the hair, but it's true - if your system is way too dense and you try to thin it out substantially, it'll look like hell. If you need to thin out 10 - 15% or so, that's okay. If you really need to hack away at it, fuggedaboudit. You'll probably need to start over with a new system from someone who understands about matching your natural density and blending. If you're buying on line, send a couple of pics to your seller.

Tedty

Reaction score
I Understand (Just How You Feel)... It's TOO GOOD to be true and yes,it doesn't look good."nobody is going to believe a guy can grow such a lush and vibrant" :)

My suggestion is you just ask for exchange a new one with less density or you can try the traditional way:pulling out the hair strand by strand.Get a good stylist and get a good hair cut.Don't even think about wearing that overwhelmingly voluminous hair even you are young.