New Discovery For Hair Loss

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Wow. Interesting! Is this Follica?

Hmm sounds very promising indeed. I had to laugh at Matt Lauer though, he was trying to act dumb about knowing about hairloss and Propecia and Rogaine. I bet he knew a lot more than lady did about hairloss, infact he is probably a member on this board and we don't even know it!

Charly

Reaction score
Did you guys see the flashing word......Zidovudine (INN) or azidothymidine (AZT). Its a retroviral used for HIV....Thats strange why would that be flashing. you guys think maybe someone is letting the cat out of the bag and thats the drug they might of used.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes this is Follica and yes this is very very exciting. But as they say, IF all goes perfectly well, it may be out in a few years, so we must be patient.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Charly said:
Did you guys see the flashing word......Zidovudine (INN) or azidothymidine (AZT). Its a retroviral used for HIV....Thats strange why would that be flashing. you guys think maybe someone is letting the cat out of the bag and thats the drug they might of used.

No I think someone just cut some old footage from a story on HIV into the segment. Laziness and human error are better explanations than conspiracy theories IMO.
hh

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
harold said:
Charly said:

No I think someone just cut some old footage from a story on HIV into the segment. Laziness and human error are better explanations than conspiracy theories IMO.
hh

+1. It is a usual techinique of bored journalists to present "strange" words to make their story look more interesting

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope we have more treatments in the future so the prices for hair loss treatments start dropping. Intercytex's ICX TRC will probably come out between 2010-2012, but if other treatments come out in the next decade then they will have some competition.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
What confuses me is why the mouses hair was WHITE? She claimed that mice have no pigment in there skin, but the mouse clearly had brown hair! Then they go on to say "oh just dye your hair"

Well im not sure I really want to look like this

2300-8083~Einstein-E-Mc2-Posters.jpg

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree w/the brown hair thing. Why did the mouse have brown hair to begin with and it grew white. I'm sure it's something I'm not familiar with in reference to mice so does anyone else know about mouse phisiology?

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere a little while ago that the compound they are using is Lithium something or other. Apprently there are already people experimenting with this stuff in conjunction with needling of the scalp. Apprently the difference seems to be that in order for it to work very well you need to really rough up your scalp with something in order for wounding to take place and the compound to stimulate new follicles.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
What confuses me is why the mouses hair was WHITE? She claimed that mice have no pigment in there skin, but the mouse clearly had brown hair! Then they go on to say "oh just dye your hair"

If i was to be a nw1 or thick nw2 i wouldnt give a sh*t if i had to dye my hair every two weeks or something.

What is impressing is that the texture and the density of the grown hair in the video was perfect. Only difference was the colour.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
lol good call. Einstein here we come!

A_DHT_Driveby

Reaction score
what puzzles me is that you would have to "scrape your scalp with a cheese grader" in order to make this work? Seems odd that in order to induce hair regrowth you would first have to do severe damage to that area. Wouldn't it be easier if you working with a healthy specimen?

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
She said the mouse have no pigment in their skin because the source of these new hair follicles is from skin stem cellswhich have been induced to turn into hair follicles and not skin cells. While that may not have much to do with the actual reason it explains why the reason the surrounding hairs are brown is not so relevant - these are NEW follicles being created and not old ones eing made to grow hair again.
The reason the area had to be injured first is because it creates an envionment where these stem cells are ready to differentiate. They are then able to direct the stem cells to turn into hair follicles and not skin cells.
Some of you might want to check out this thread where people were talking about this stff
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=43438
though it gets a bit technical and off-topic towards the end it might answer some questions. People have been talking about this for awhile now.
hh

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if these new hairs would be sensitive to male pattern baldness. It may be something that you have to re-do every year or so. I could live with that.

I'm also thinking this could be incredibly expensive. Given that it sounds like they have to create a wound on your scalp, this is probably something a doctor would have to do.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what puzzles me is that you would have to "scrape your scalp with a cheese grader" in order to make this work? Seems odd that in order to induce hair regrowth you would first have to do severe damage to that area. Wouldn't it be easier if you working with a healthy specimen?

I think what is happening when the scalp is damaged is that we are fooling our bodies into thinking that the skin is in the same state as it was when we were fetuses (feti?). Sorry if I sound like "captain obvious" for stating this. I agree that it is rather odd that this works, even if it only works on mice at this point. The body is an amazing thing. Heck, just last night I was watching this show called Brain Men or something like that on the Sci channel. This guy got hit in the head with a baseball as a kid, and ever since he has been able to remember the weather for every day of his life after that, and what date that day falls on. Incredible!

I am psyched about this new find. It sounds very promising.

michael barry

Reaction score
they are going to dermabrate the scalp like a dermatologist does for acne scars, block epidermal growth factor receptor sites with a drug, block wnt-signalling for nine days, then up wnt signalling for about 15 days.

thats it.

quercitin and reservatrol and ecgc supposedly downreg epidermal growth factor, but have no relationship with the EGF-receptor. ECGC can block wnt, and lithium chloride can up wnt. They intend to use two FDA-approved drugs for all of this...................................It probably wont cost all that much to be honest. Dermabrasion is cheap, you can get a fee schedule at any dermatologist. The liscensing is where they will make their money. One of the drugs is pricey at present, but prices will come down when alot of men buy it.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What's your opinion of this, Michael? Do you think they are on to something? Or do you think there is a good chance that the success won't translate from mice to men?

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
elguapo said:
This guy got hit in the head with a baseball as a kid, and ever since he has been able to remember the weather for every day of his life after that, and what date that day falls on. Incredible!
What a bummer of a super power though, huh?!
It's WeatherMan!
:mrgreen:

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
they are going to dermabrate the scalp like a dermatologist does for acne scars, block epidermal growth factor receptor sites with a drug, block wnt-signalling for nine days, then up wnt signalling for about 15 days.

thats it.

quercitin and reservatrol and ecgc supposedly downreg epidermal growth factor, but have no relationship with the EGF-receptor. ECGC can block wnt, and lithium chloride can up wnt. They intend to use two FDA-approved drugs for all of this...................................It probably wont cost all that much to be honest. Dermabrasion is cheap, you can get a fee schedule at any dermatologist. The liscensing is where they will make their money. One of the drugs is pricey at present, but prices will come down when alot of men buy it.

I don't know what most of that means, but would you expect the procedure to be almost completely free of side effects?