New Company Treats Balding With Mole Molecules

Pigeon

My Regimen
I have the pleasure of working with Dr. Plikus on this project and am part of the group.

Amplifica's founder Dr. Maksim Plikus

Amplifica Treats Baldness with Mole Molecules
Back in 2013, Amplifica's founder Dr. Maksim Plikus began studying hairy moles. Though some find the growths unsightly, his work showed promise for baldness treatment.

He, along with colleagues at UC Irvine, discovered that molecules from moles that grow excessive hair can induce follicle growth when administered anywhere on the skin.

"As long as you can tease it out and replicate it in the form of purified molecules, you can achieve essentially what we think would be a novel, revolutionary solution to baldness," Plikus told dot.LA.

Plikus said his company is the first to solve hair loss by replicating cells from hairy moles to stimulate hair growth. At the moment, hair follicle research has emerged as a leading experimental model for studying stem cells.

By 2025, hair-loss products are projected to surpass $12 billion, Plikus said. But only two drugs are FDA approved and require daily treatment in the form of pills, which he said come with long-term side effects.

Amplifica says it's poised to put a more effective and convenient solution on the market. Pinkus' proposed product is a topical solution requiring less frequent application, like getting Botox injections a few times per year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/ithbor/new_potential_hair_loss_treatment_news_release/

Don't expect this anytime soon though, will have to go through FDA trials but very interesting.

John Difool

My Regimen
Actually not. There is an interview of a doctor in Beverly hills I watched last year who mentioned it.

Wispy

My Regimen
The hair you grow on moles are like 1cm in length max. Will that cure result in buzzcuts only?

I'll take a full buzzcut than this Norwood IIa-IIIa monstrosity.

Buzzcuts look better than any weird lines or borders or diffuse hair any day of the week; even when I shave I have the weird gray-skin thing where my hair is and then the raw flesh of where I don't have hair.

Last edited:

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
They must have stolen the idea from Dr. Rassman. There was an audio speech on baldingblog, where he mentioned his research. He sounded very hopeful using genes from moles. (That trash blog Folliclethought says Rassman might be affiliated with this company, but Folliclethought could just be making things up as usual.)

Pigeon

My Regimen

(Recent interview with Maksim Plikus, however he does not specifically mention his new company in the interview, it’s mostly technical stuff.)

Dr. Maksim Plikus, a Professor of the University of California at Irvine, is the latest scientist to found his own company in hopes of treating or curing baldness. Plikus recently told the media organization dot LA that he hopes to put a topical solution on the market which would require less than daily applications to be useful. The name of Plikus’ startup company is Amplifica. The name has a nice ring to it, let’s hope that its clinical results will also be as pleasant.

The research which drove Plikus to this new venture involved studying hairy moles also known as hairy nevi. You may be familiar with the phenomenon yourself, moles which grow in isolated areas on the body and sprout several thick hairs or more. Plikus decided to investigate the biology of these hair moles to see if he could find which molecules were responsible for the hair growth. While his exact findings have not been publicized to date, it would seem that he is confident in his discoveries thus far. Veteran hair transplant surgeon Dr. William Rassman has joined Plikus as a founding member of Amplifica. The company reportedly incorporated with a $500,000 investment.

From folliclethought https://www.folliclethought.com/updates/

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Interesting interview,
regarding all hairs are interconnected in a network, transient neonatal alopecia is the moment that human scalp hair develop asynchronicity, this issue define human being in hair biology, and it is true that ventral and dorsal hairs in mices are quite different, but the key question is if all human scalp hairs are different in the begining?

Ollie

My Regimen
The hair you grow on moles are like 1cm in length max. Will that cure result in buzzcuts only?

the length of hair is just dictated by length of anagen cycle . Body hair obviously being very short. The stimulation of existing hair on the head means the hair length will remain the same as it has always been (if not increase back to baseline anagen length due to thickening terminal shaft)

John Difool

My Regimen
Thanks Professor I don't remember seeing moles growing hair the length of scalp hair on body (I have one of these on my ribcage side.) I've seen beard hair follicles transplanted to scalp and they don't regrow like their new neighbors. They keep the way they were on the face. Isn't it the same for mole hair?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Also ubder cast, hair growth is evident but not very large thoght pigmented, but right now people like use short hair ;)....

Ollie

My Regimen
Thanks Professor I don't remember seeing moles growing hair the length of scalp hair on body (I have one of these on my ribcage side.) I've seen beard hair follicles transplanted to scalp and they don't regrow like their new neighbors. They keep the way they were on the face. Isn't it the same for mole hair?

They’re not intending to transplant the actual follicles from the moles just utilise the cells that promote such extreme growth patterns compared to surrounding body hair. These cells will aid the growth of existing hair growing back to full / better health.

Dimitri001

Established Member
My Regimen
They must have stolen the idea from Dr. Rassman. There was an audio speech on baldingblog, where he mentioned his research. He sounded very hopeful using genes from moles. (That trash blog Folliclethought says Rassman might be affiliated with this company, but Folliclethought could just be making things up as usual.)

Why is Follicle Thought a trash blog, what did he make up?

John Difool

My Regimen
In the interview Dr Rassman stating he knew someone working on that molecule that he could help bring to market in the future. He never said he was doing it himself.