Need help on Propecia! Help an 18 year old!

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, now im sure some of you regulars know me by now and all but I need some advice from all of you experts out there!

Well let me get straight to the point, im scared.. Im scared of losing my hair, im 18 god damnit! I don't want to lose it at such a young age and look like a 50 year old..

I do have most of my hair, but it just seems so thin and lifeless.. Its scaring me cause I can see if nothing works for me within a year I will have a bald patch :( Im a diffuse thinner and thats what makes it suck even more..

Im trying all herbal stuff at the moment and me being truthful it has deffinetly slowed my hair loss (I just hope im not imagining it, also check my regimen if you wish)...

Well, in the shower when I use the revivogen shampoo I notice 3 - 10 hairs on my hand, but when I use nizoral I notice 5 - 20, does this mean it is slowing down or am I imaging it? When I put the revivogen scalp therapy on, I do notice some hairs on my hand which does get quite upseting as im sure you can imagine..

Now my main point of this post is, what are your opinions on me trying Propecia 1mg at the age of 18 (nrly 19)? I cant afford the Merck Propecia so I HAVE to get the Finpecia 1mg.. I need to save up for uni so thats why I cant afford to get the Merck..

What do you guys think? Should I give it a shot? I have a stupid doctor, so I dont know about monitoring myself.. I might have to change and find a good doctor, but what if no other doctor monitors me and says im being silly?

What is the worst that can happen when not being monitored?

Thanks for your help guys.

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
You can't tell exactly how many hairs you are losing, as some just kinda fall off with the water etc. Basically losing under 50 in the shower is fine. I now lose around that, but before i went through bouts of losing 100 hairs and never noticed any real difference in my hair.

As for propecia i'd so no to an 18 year old just because some people are still developing at 18 (i know a guy who actually grew 3 inches when he was 18) Too much is still going on hormonally at 18. You could easily get erection problems or gyno (just my opinion, not fact)

I personally went on it at age 20, and am now 21. No real problems after the initial month, but i have had some pain lately in my pec area. Overall though just wait till you are 19-20 IMO.

Sticking with the nizoral and Revivogen are good ideas though.

G

Stinger122 said:
Ok guys, now im sure some of you regulars know me by now and all but I need some advice from all of you experts out there!

Well let me get straight to the point, im scared.. Im scared of losing my hair, im 18 god damnit! I don't want to lose it at such a young age and look like a 50 year old..

I do have most of my hair, but it just seems so thin and lifeless.. Its scaring me cause I can see if nothing works for me within a year I will have a bald patch :( Im a diffuse thinner and thats what makes it suck even more..

Im trying all herbal stuff at the moment and me being truthful it has deffinetly slowed my hair loss (I just hope im not imagining it, also check my regimen if you wish)...

Well, in the shower when I use the revivogen shampoo I notice 3 - 10 hairs on my hand, but when I use nizoral I notice 5 - 20, does this mean it is slowing down or am I imaging it? When I put the revivogen scalp therapy on, I do notice some hairs on my hand which does get quite upseting as im sure you can imagine..

Now my main point of this post is, what are your opinions on me trying Propecia 1mg at the age of 18 (nrly 19)? I cant afford the Merck Propecia so I HAVE to get the Finpecia 1mg.. I need to save up for uni so thats why I cant afford to get the Merck..

What do you guys think? Should I give it a shot? I have a stupid doctor, so I dont know about monitoring myself.. I might have to change and find a good doctor, but what if no other doctor monitors me and says im being silly?

What is the worst that can happen when not being monitored?

Thanks for your help guys.

Hello mate.

Man, these should be the best days for you. I don't want to depress you more by saying that, but it's a bummer that you're deealing with hairloss at 18. :roll:

Anyway, I'm sure everyone will agree that 18 is too young for propecia. Because of the fact you're still a kid and you're still growing.

And the same with minoxidil. We shouldn't be having to apply gunk to our hair at our age, well, especially your age. I see Regaine (How embarrasing! :roll: ) as a last resort.

Anyway, all the best.

I' sure you'll get good advise from this site and it's users.

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your posts Gunner and Diddy..

Gunner, yes we are young, it sucks doesnt it? I look at your pics and I do feel saddened by them because we are both so young! Look at everybody our age, they are out enjoying themselves... They dont have to worry about dead protein strands falling from the top of their head (Trying to be humerous :p)

I know its hard gunner, for the both of us.. We are all in this together, but if you do need to talk or just chat or anything since we are both of a similar age just message me or something :)

As for Propecia, I will see what the others have to say, but it does look like they will say the same I.E 'Too young still developing'

So if you guys disagree with 18, what do you think about 19?

Thanks guys!

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Once again you confuse me Stinger.

You're taking 320MG of Saw Palmetto every day and commenting in other threads that you think it will work for your hair loss, but you're afraid to take Propecia because you think you're too young?

Can you explain why you feel this way?

This is exactly why Im all over this saw palmetto issue. No offense to anyone but consistently I see some serious misunderstanding of how these products work, by the saw palmetto proponents.

While they have different specific methods of action, they are *BOTH* 5-alpha reductase inhibitors and they *both* inhibit at least one form of DHT. If you're going to shy away from Propecia due to the potential that you're still going through puberty, then you sure as heck should be shying away from Saw Palmetto as well.

Guys, please educate yourselves on what these products do, or at least listen to the experts when they give advice. If you dont want to listen please make sure you know your stuff. :)

HairLossTalk.com

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Well HairLossTalk.com, I heard AGES ago before I came on here on hairsite that Saw Palmetto was more milder than Propecia (I still do believe that, Saw Palmetto is a herb, Propecia is a manufactured drug) I know herbs can be just as bad as a drug, but well I just dont think Saw Palmetto is as strong as Propecia, I did not claim what you said:

"You're taking 320MG of Saw Palmetto every day and commenting in other threads that you think it will work for your hair loss,"

When did I say it will work as in stop shedding, I commented on how it has slowed down my hair loss, I have always believed Saw Palmetto is a mild herb and when on its own it is balls.. Thats why I take all of this other stuff alongside it!

Anyway the topic is not about Saw Palmetto, im asking about advice on Propecia... Now im asking for your advice without relating the topic to Saw Palmetto (Everybodys sick of SP now lol)

What do you think about trying it at 18? If not, 19?

Thanks anyways.

Cassin

Reaction score
You got some good advice on this thread about not taking it at your age. I would never touch it if I was under 21. I believe it is safe, but not at that age.

I think you and I discussed this before and I recommened you try it again, but I didn't know you were under 21.

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin, that was Turbo, not me mate :)

I havnt spoken to you bout this before :p

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Stinger122 said:
Well HairLossTalk.com, I heard AGES ago before I came on here on hairsite
There's your first problem rearing its head again. Stop listening to what you hear on hairsite, and secondly stop listening to what you hear on hair loss discussion forums in general. You need to educate yourself on the clinical data surrounding these products using reputable medical journals and documents. The phrase "Well I heard on hairsite" (or any other site) should no longer be in your vocabulary.

Stingray said:
Saw Palmetto is a herb, Propecia is a manufactured drug) I know herbs can be just as bad as a drug, but well I just dont think Saw Palmetto is as strong as Propecia
Great. You dont think its as strong. Why? Show me one researcher on planet earth who has decreed that Saw Palmetto is "milder" than Propecia. Somehow there is a correlation between SP being an herb and it being milder than Propecia? This is all news to me. Its completely incorrect.

Saw Palmetto, in fact, inhibits to some extent BOTH types of 5-alpha reductase? Did you know that? If the answer is no, then you need to read up on this stuff. I wouldnt consider that more mild than Propecia. Its more "Mild" in the sense that it does not act on the TYPE of 5-alpha (were you aware there are two types? if not refer to last statement) that causes hair loss. That would be why its not considered a valid hair loss treatment. You may in fact be confusing "mild" with proof that it doesn't work for hair loss. Cuz you're right. Its not been shown to inhibit the correct type enough to stop hair loss. It has however been shown in hundreds of studies to inhibit the type predominantly found in the prostate. The other type. Either way, its a potent hormonal modulator so its status as "herbal" is absolutely irrelevant.

It still inhibits DHT formation just like Propecia. Just not the right type to help hair loss. SO yes, its mild, and so mild that it didnt work for hair loss, but it will do a number on your hormones and your prostate.

Sting said:
When did I say it will work as in stop shedding?
I didnt say you claimed it stopped your shedding.

Sting said:
I commented on how it has slowed down my hair loss
Um... exactly. That's saying you think it works for your hair loss.

Sting said:
What do you think about trying it at 18? If not, 19?
How can anyone answer that question? Is there scientific data that tells us the median cessation of puberty at age 18 that we can compare to the same at age 19? No. Is everyone different? Yes. Do you need to stop going to hairsite and start reading medical journals instead? Yup! :)

Bottom line, take it or leave it (im sure you'll leave it): If you're afraid to take Propecia due to DHT issues related to being too young and puberty, then you should *not* be taking Saw Palmetto right now either.

This is why I get so frustrated with some websites. They do more to confuse and mislead people than help.

HairLossTalk.com

Redbone

Reaction score
Its a shame some guys hear have had side effects real or unreal and have frightend guys like stinger awwy from Propecia use. Saw palemtto was worse sides for me than Propecia and worst of all it did nothing for my hairloss.

I went to five different doctors about propecia and when I explained all the negative crap I heard on this site about it they thought I was an idiot. It is medicine, good medicine that helps out millions of men every year.

Stinger, I was like you and was afraid- but you have no reason to be. It is good stuff and was highly recommended by all the doctors I saw. Its funny kids will drop X on a regular basis knowing that they could die from it and they are afraid of Propecia with its 2% incidence rate- hello the placebo group was 1.3%.

Listen to the experts as I did Stinger and you will be better off to.

I hate this subject and I know this is a free country but people who come here and post about negative effects of Propecia are assholes. Frightening less informed good people like stinger and letting them believe that Propecia will make their dicks fall off. Listen to reason, your doctor the FDA, medical proffesionals, Bruce HairLossTalk.com, me and the millions of others who have benefitted from it.

In the words of the immortal Jam Master J " Don't beleive the hype"

Cassin

Reaction score
redbone said:
............ Propecia with its 2% incidence rate- hello the placebo group was 1.3%........

Thats a good point.

I believe Propecia is safe. But I still think taking it at certain ages while not being monitored is a very bad idea. So if you are being monitored and having your hormones checked, go for it.

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Fair enough HairLossTalk.com, good points.. Its true a lot of people do tend to get confussed out there..

Anyways well I think, cutting a 1MG Finpecia tablet in half and taking 0.5MG might be a good start? and within 9 months I can review it and see how its going, what do you think of that?

I know there are a lot of confussed people and im one off them, I dont believe Propecia makes your dick fall off lol (Niice wording redbone! :lol: ) Especially after the FDA approved it but I do believe it affects everybody diffrently, and thats just normal cause we all dont have the same bodies!

When I used to go on hairsite I would read loads of negative posts on Propecia, but when I came on here I have read less negative stuff and pretty much more positive stuff.. Which is a good thing.

Well I am probably most likely going to try it, but as I said Finpecia for me, and it will be 0.5MG for 9 months.. But I will wait and see what others have to say before actually going on it (I might not, im still very undecided, remember DHT does control other stuff apart from hair!)

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Stinger122 said:
I think, cutting a 1MG Finpecia tablet in half and taking 0.5MG might be a good start? and within 9 months I can review it and see how its going, what do you think of that?
Again my brain reverts to the clinical data. This is okay to do as long as you are aware that you cannot claim "Propecia didn't work for me". All we know is that it works at 1mg daily for 2 years. With that you have an 83% chance of results. If you modify your dosage, you enter into nomans land. You don't seem like the kinda guy who cares about that though so, you should be fine, but you need to remember, you're not taking the prescribed dose. So you can't say it didn't work, if it doesn't.

HairLossTalk.com

bombscience

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Stinger122 said:
I think, cutting a 1MG Finpecia tablet in half and taking 0.5MG might be a good start? and within 9 months I can review it and see how its going, what do you think of that?
Again my brain reverts to the clinical data. This is okay to do as long as you are aware that you cannot claim "Propecia didn't work for me". All we know is that it works at 1mg daily for 2 years. With that you have an 83% chance of results. If you modify your dosage, you enter into nomans land. You don't seem like the kinda guy who cares about that though so, you should be fine, but you need to remember, you're not taking the prescribed dose. So you can't say it didn't work, if it doesn't.

HairLossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com... I understand exactly what you are saying but Fina for a barely 18yo is a bit scary dont you think? How much did your body change between the ages of 18 and 22? I know mine did alot, and DHT is a crucial developmental hormone. A .2mg dose of Fina has shown to only reduce DHT slightly less than a full 1mg dose, but leaves a bit more DHT hanging about. Yes the clinical trials were at 1mg and I would be the first to tell anyone a bit older using an odd dosage that they are entering a world of uncertainty. However, a full 1mg of finasteride scares me for somone who is barely 18.

Alternatively, spironolactone or revivogen is a good first step for youger guys, dont you think? Screwing with hormones is scary to begin with.

Redbone

Reaction score
Good point HairLossTalk.com. When I started I got it right from the pharmacy legit as possible, because of this I will truly know what the effect is and I wont be scared about putting some junk in my body that I got off the internet. Can you guys honestly say what is in your Generics??? I am all for saving money but dont you care what goes into your body?

I get the bottle labeled propecia with the 1mg pills and no bullshit, maybe some guys have the sides because they go online and get sh*t that was mixed in an un-regulated basement- how the hell do you know where this sh*t came from let alone if it is counterfit.

I had a friend who made anabolics in his basement lab and he sold it on the net as the real deal. Boy if the people saw what he was cutting the sh*t with and where it was manufactured they would have never bought it.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Bomb, I agree, but the guy is taking Saw Palmetto daily already.

As I mentioned, he should be taking neither, if he feels he's still developing.

18 is the first age allowed for Propecia prescriptions by the way, as far as legal/doctors/FDA etc goes. But (what a surprise, so many recurring themes!) everyone is different.

HairLossTalk.com

bombscience

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Bomb, I agree, but the guy is taking Saw Palmetto daily already.

As I mentioned, he should be taking neither, if he feels he's still developing.

18 is the first age allowed for Propecia prescriptions by the way, as far as legal/doctors/FDA etc goes. But (what a surprise, so many recurring themes!) everyone is different.

HairLossTalk.com

Yeah I would be wary of any internal DHT blocker. 18 is just a round number in the US for things (voting... prescriptions... jail). If your beard is still coming in, it may not be a great idea...

Go topical for a year... Sprio, Revivogen, minoxidil... so many options.

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Stinger122 said:

HairLossTalk.com

Uhm, I dont plan on saying Propecia didnt work for me because I do realise (In bold just for you) that im not taking the prescribed dose...

Your post sounded rather moody so I will just leave it at that, I'll just see what anybody else has to say then anyway...