Need Help for my 14 yr old daughter after Accutane

mrcp

Reaction score
Hi I need help for my 14 year old daughter. She completed three rounds of accutane in August and now her long think hair is falling in out in huge huge clumps. She is of course devastated and I am trying to find ways to stop the fall out. Her dermatologist does not seem concerned and said it will stop at some point. She prescribed Clobetasol shampoo- but I am not sure that this is the correct medications. I have her on vitamins - biotin. I need help asap to try to stop the hair loss. Thanks for any help!

labellavita1985

Established Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that there is no way to stop hair loss caused by an overdose of systemic Vitamin A, which is what your daughter is experiencing. It has been recently suggested that Accutane induced hair loss may not be temporary, as there are many reports of people never getting their hair back.

Rogaine is sometimes indicated for treatment of Accutane induced hair loss. Please do some research on this, and make sure you speak with a doctor. The shampoo she was prescribed is evidently used to treat seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis of the scalp.

sachalamp

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you take some time and read about fermented foods (probiotics) and fermentable foods (prebiotics).

You can easily make lacto fermented vegetables at home, it's cheap and very efficient. (check internet for recipes - it's usually brine -salt+water at 2 to 5% concentration) and vegetables. You can make a lot of combinations ( cucumber +garlic +beets+carrots+hot peppers for example - just make sure they are completely submerged in water to prevent mold. Horseradish on top also seems to help). Easiest to do is Sauerkreaut - fermented cabbage. Again, look for recipes online.

Also, make your own youghurt or kefir at home. Look for yoghurt starter and/or kefir grains and get whole milk (i get mine non-pasteurized).

This is an ok starting point:

http://www.organicauthority.com/10-fermented-foods-you-can-make-at-home

Shipahoy

Reaction score
Hi

I have been on Accutane too when i was 15. Im male tho. I was on it for 6 months on high dosage (cant remember exact dosage).
Hair that i shed because of Accutane (not much) grew back in like half year, so for me it wasn't permament. My friend that also took accutane longer and higher dosage than me got hes hair back thicker in couple months. Neither of us had permament hairloss from it and we both recovered completely.

As someone said already.. theres no cure for Accutane hairloss. It just grows back in time or in some rare cases not.

My suggestions for your daughter would be:
-Relax, be patient and try not to think about it
-Vitamin supplement. Especially Biotin supplement.
-Sleep well
-Healthy food (eat lots of protein, vegetables, fruits, drink water etc..)
-Sports
-Treat your hair gently (avoid ponytail, air brush, styling products, harsh shampoos)

Thats all i know, but you can check more from google "how to make your hair grow faster". Theres alots of info about it.

DO NOT give her Rogaine. thats not good for 14 year old girl and would really just make things worse. It would just cause more shedding.

Hope it helps :)