Need Advice On The Best Hair Transplant Surgeon In North Carolina

ricknelson

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post but I have been lurking on the HairLossTalk.com forum for a couple of years. I have been greatly informed from many who take the time to offer help and advice to those with questions. I live in Raleigh, NC, and was wondering if anyone had advice on a good Hair Transplant surgeon in the area. There is a clinic named Jernigans in the area, and the surgeon's name is Grant Koher. Has anyone on here heard of him? I have read some of the horror stories and wanted to make sure I picked the right surgeon if I decide to go down that road. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

G

Hi ricknelson,

Wow. That just reinforces to me that many hairloss sufferers may surf the forums, sometimes for years to obtain useful information. Usually at any given time one can see that there are usually a few dozen reading the boards. And that's why any of us who do participate need to keep mindful that it does impact the lives of many. I too have always been impressed with the level of respect and courtesy that many of us share in this community at Hairlosstalk. So like you, I too am grateful for that.

It's so nice to see you doing your research because IMO you are correct in your findings of Dr. Grant Koher. Another individual asked the same about him in this forum about a year ago. Not sure if you saw that thread. I read about several violations he had regarding prescribing meds without seeing the patient, etc. I even attempted to contact him when that last thread came up and left several messages for him to address that issue which he never did nor did he ever make any attempt to return my call or e-mail me. If he could not address those violations publicly, he could have stated just that, but he never did.

If you prefer to stay in NC, you definitely want to contact Dr. Jerry Cooley, MD in Charlotte, NC. He performs all ultra-refined follicular unit transplants and has been doing surgical hair restoration for a LONG time. He also is very mindful of treating all aspects of male pattern baldness, he does not try to "sell" anything. I know of many satisfied patients of his as I office in this Mid-Atlantic area. If that area is also a consideration there is a talented long term FUT surgeon who also does FUE with a clinic in Richmond, VA and Virginia Beach. Best wishes to you on your quest ricknelson and nice to see your participation after two years :) .

Let us know how things go for you!

ricknelson

Reaction score
Thanks for the info gillenator. I am not sold on the idea of getting a transplant just yet. I have been on the big 3 for a couple of years and the hairline is beginning to go the way of the dinosaurs. I am also a difuse thinner who is greatly concerned about shock loss and the potential of additional procedures in the future. Any suggestions? I am not averse to going to a state close by in order to do this thing right, if I decide to go through with a transplant. I welcome all input because the boards have provided me with invaluable information in the past, even though I am a recent contributor. Believe me, much more people read these forums than you could imagine. Many of you do a great service for those searching for advice, help, and peace of mind regarding hair loss. Thanks for everything.

G

You're very welcome ricknelson and glad to be of help. When you say "I'm on the big 3" I assume you mean the meds? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I truly can relate to losing in the frontal zone because it freaked me out when my hairline started going and there was that horseshoe pattern loss behind what hairline I had left.

It's good to really think things through becaue you are so right in recognizing the fact that hairloss is progressive and yes you will undoubtedly desire more coverage as more natural hair is lost. And if you do sustain shockloss to the neighboring natural diffused hair, you definitely are committed to additional work.

Now that I am 50 years old and having three hair transplant procedures (4417 total grafts), I'm very happy with the results. I would like to have a fourth which will probably be this Spring but it's not that I really "need" it because I really do have decent coverage. It's that I "want" it just to touch up some places. Most of the top of my head is tranplants now except my crown which is still somewhat thin but finasteride continues to prevent it from getting worse so I'm pretty content.

However, I perceive that you are probably younger in the more earlier stages of male pattern baldness? Try to hold off on surgery as long as you possibly can, maybe even try some concealers since you have a diffused thinnig pattern. If you do decide on surgery, make absolutely sure your surgeon utilizes the most least invasive recipient incisions possible which many times requires custom made blades that match the width of the grafts. That will help with the shockloss by minimizing the corresponding trauma where there is diffused natural hair. But really try and hang onto your natural hair as long as you can ricknelson and best wishes to you. :wink:

ricknelson

Reaction score
Thanks gill and you're right, I am almost 29 years old and the big 3 are minoxidil, finasteride, and Nizoral. I also have been using the laser comb for 18 months or so. I was thinking about a concealer but I have coverage over the entire head for now. The hair is just getting progressively thinner and the hairline is beginning to really thin out and recession is starting to show. You sound as if you have been a successful recipient of transplantation - congratulations. I was thinking about a procedure for the hairline, but I am starting to have my doubts about the viability in long run (lack of donor hair, further procedures, cost, etc.).

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello RickNelson. The front half of my head was thinning badly, but the rest was OK. My front became so thin and see through I decided not to worry about the shock loss. If I had had more hair there, it would have been more of a concern for me. I am 2.5 months post op and yes, I did have a little shock loss. But, I was expecting it and like I said, it was very see through anyway. Now I'm excited about the potenitial growth that's just around the corner. Shock loss can happen, even with the top surgeons. Don't believe someone who tells you shock loss won't happen because the Doctor carefully goes in between the existing hair. It might be true that they go in between, but the overall trauma to the area can cause shock loss anyway. And yes, I'm talking about using today's ultra refined surgery.

G

I certainly understand rick and that's why you want to wait on surgery for as long as you can. And since you're 29 now, with a little more time the higher hairline usually still looks ok because most folks don't expect to see a low one unless we are in our juvenile years. Keep up the good regimen because it definitely sounds like you are getting some benefit from it. :wink:

G

Gorpy is absolutely 100% correct. Shockloss is unpredictable even in the best of hands and even the most reputable hair transplant surgeons will advise the same. Can hardly wait to hear about your new growth Gorpy!

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gillinator. I mentioned a little growth I was seeing a couple of weeks ago. I am now seeing lots of little hairs growing. So much so that there is a slight (very slight) shadowing effect in some areas. Man this is a slow process. It's like watching grass grow! Now I'm off to visit my mother for Christmas. My older brother will be there who is not losing his hair. He is brutal with is comments about my hair loss. He'll surely recommend the Hair Club for Men again. Dang, I should have gotten this procedure earlier so that it would already be grown out.

G

Gorpy, I know exactly how you feel. I have two brothers neither who have male pattern baldness and it was my older brother who "used" to have all of the wisecracks. In fact I was a HCM client for ten years before my first transplant. Now he is full of compliments and he is just amazed of the natural appearance of my hairline. Yours will be too once it all grows out! Have a great Holidays Gorpy! :)

gianniem

Reaction score
advice on transplant surgeon in North Carolina

Hi, I am very new to the hairlosstalk forum and I would like to give some direction to those in need of hair replacement solutions in the area. I am truely not aware of any noteable hair clinics in North Carolina. The closest surgeon that I am aware of in the region is 30 min north of Atlanta and his name is John P. Cole, MD. The official site for this office is forhair.com so after trying finesteride, you may want to study his technique to see if it would be desireable for you.

G

Hey, welcome to this forum! Do your homework on Dr. Cooley, he's very talented and ethical. Even Dr. Cole will tell you that!

ricknelson

Reaction score
Gillenator, who is Dr. Cooley and where is he located? I read the previous post about Cole but was wondering about Cooley after you mentioned the name. Thanks.

G

ricknelson,

Dr. Jerry Cooley is an MD based out of Charlotte, NC and been a hair transplant surgeon for a long, long time. He is a long term member of the ISHRS, is respected by his peers, and does good work. He is also ethical and very comprehensive in treating hairloss. He does not rush patients into surgery but encourages patients to think in terms of life-long planning.

Because he is somewhat close to me, I've had the opportunities to visually see his work on a number of his patients and they all looked very good. So seeing is believing! He also has a toll-free number.

gianniem

Reaction score
hair transplant Surgeon in NC

Good afternoon to all,

I did look over the doctor's information who is located in Charlotte, however I didn't find that he offers FIT/FUE. So depending on how a prospective patient feels on the strip method, his clinic may or may not be an option. I am aware the options and alternatives at Dr. Cole's office which allows him to be world renown. Dr. Cole offers FIT/FUE, BFIT and Strip in the USA and overseas. He has various locations coast to coast to conduct in-person consults to include Europe. I hope this post could provide some guidance.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Stay away from strip. Its dangerous to your health. I just got back from the neurologist. Aside frome being disfigured by it I have occipital neuralgia. A chronic irreversable condition. You don't want it.I will be in pain clinics for the rest of my life. Hair transplant clinics for a good part of it. DO NOT SACRIFICE YOUR HEALTH FOR YOUR HAIR!

G

gianniem,

Dr. Cooley does in fact do FUE and I just verified some additional facts with his office this afternoon. I knew he had been doing it but I wanted to get more specifics and basically he offers 500 grafts per session. He also does very good FUT strip work. I have physically seen alot of his patients with matured results to verify that.

HOWEVER, a number of us did notice your entrance into this forum community without proper disclosure of the fact that you are indeed an employee of Dr. Cole's. Your initial post implies your obvious agenda to drive patients to Dr. Cole. Then in your second post you decide to disclose the fact that "you are" his employee and again try to "steer" patients his way.

That's EXTREMELY unethical and hairloss forum communities are no place to be commercially promoting your employer with obvious intent to recruit patients. Covert marketing attempts are not tolerated anywhere and it will be pointed out every time you try!

There's nothing wrong with any patient recommending their hair transplant surgeon they are happy with. Possibly you are also a happy patient of Dr. Cole's, maybe not a patient at all. I for one am a happy past patient of Dr. Cole's however IMO any recommended doctor must have BOTH the demonstrated surgical talent AND ethics. That's why I recommended Dr. Jerry Cooley, because he's one in the area that has both.

Mahair,

It's very terrible and disgusting that you sustained that type of damage and injury from your first procedure. I know you did not have any of that with Dr. Shapiro with your corrective procedures and I never did on any of my three procedures either. What a difference responsible surgical competence makes!

gianniem

Reaction score
advice

Hi Gillenator,

I apologize if my initial entrance to the forum seemed as if it was a scheme to steer. My intentions were to make known resources that I know of that have been made available. I made my affiliation with Dr. Cole apparent as soon as I was advised that it should noted to avoid misleading fellow posters. Information on Dr. Cooley's current procedures is not made apparent, however I do appreciate the info on his clinic in Charlotte performing FUE. We can only write to what we have witnessed. I agree with your comment on ethics and I regret to have been seemingly steering by my approach to enter this forum.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea Gil, Dr. Shapiro only did good to me. As much as I hate the hairtransplant industry there are guys like him.At least I have a diagnosis for what has happened. Its not pretty but for three years now I have been searching for answers. I guess I not only was disfigured but got every complication plus a few new ones for the books.I only asked a half dozen times about complications . Ironic to say the least. I know a guy who has had seven surgeries and nothing. Occipital neuralgia makes for a painful life.I wouldn't wish "DR." Magdalin on Saddam Husain.Well Maybe.