My theory for Male Pattern Baldness, care to poke some holes

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok this is my theory of why men get male pattern baldness. I believe that male pattern baldness is DIET related. Get your chuckles out now boys.

I believe that the reason that Asia has the lowest rate of male pattern baldness is because they don't consume dairy and also consume a vegetable rich diet. Countries with the highest rate of prostate cancer, heart disease and male pattern baldness consume the most dairy. Why is dairy the cause of male pattern baldness? It raises IGF-1. High IGF-1 causes prostate cancer too, as we all know. There are some who might argue that their are slick bald vegans in the US and EU, true, but I can explain that too. The reason that vegans in the west have male pattern baldness too, and some might argue accelerated male pattern baldness is because their IGF-1 levels are high too. They consume a huge amount of soy isolate products (those prepackaged soy burgers?) It's recently been discovered that soy isolate protein is WORSE than dairy in raising IGF-1 levels. Anyone care to poke holes in my theory? I'd to love to tango with you.

docj077

Reaction score
Do you know what the actual value is for the percent of males with male pattern baldness in Asian countries?

docj077

Reaction score
Two other problems. I hope that you are aware that finasterides efficacy is actually correlated with an increase in IGF-1 levels in the scalp. The larger the increase, the greater the response.

Also, hopefully, you've done your research and realized that equol in soy actually binds to DHT and prevents its function. Soy and teas together are probably the only reason that Asian cultures do not have male pattern baldness as a problem. That, and not having poor Norther European genetics.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Do you know what the actual value is for the percent of males with male pattern baldness in Asian countries?

I don't have those numbers, just have read that the numbers are much lower than in the west. Also those numbers are much higher today because Asians are adopting a western diet, have been increasing since World War 2.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Two other problems. I hope that you are aware that finasterides efficacy is actually correlated with an increase in IGF-1 levels in the scalp. The larger the increase, the greater the response.

Also, hopefully, you've done your research and realized that equol in soy actually binds to DHT and prevents its function. Soy and teas together are probably the only reason that Asian cultures do not have male pattern baldness as a problem. That, and not having poor Norther European genetics.

Regular soy has benefits. But I'm speaking of Isolated Soy. Asians eat small amounts of soy. Please watch this, this explains more about it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mHYFOJBU434

docj077

Reaction score
frailstar said:
docj077 said:

I don't have those numbers, just have read that the numbers are much lower than in the west. Also those numbers are much higher today because Asians are adopting a western diet, have been increasing since World War 2.

Adopting a western diet or simply because there has been an influx of western/european genes into the region since WWII. Which came first? The crappy genes or the crappy diet? Which has a greater influence? If your theory is going to use the Japanese or the Chinese as examples, then you're going to have to know which is causing the problem. Perhaps, all of the men and women in Asia that are going bald simply have an ancestor from the west and their diet is simply circumstantial.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
frailstar said:
docj077 said:

Adopting a western diet or simply because there has been an influx of western/european genes into the region since WWII. Which came first? The crappy genes or the crappy diet? Which has a greater influence? If your theory is going to use the Japanese or the Chinese as examples, then you're going to have to know which is causing the problem. Perhaps, all of the men and women in Asia that are going bald simply have an ancestor from the west and their diet is simply circumstantial.

What do I think or what do I know? I know that diet is the most important factor.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: My theory for Male Pattern Baldness, care to poke some h

frailstar said:
Ok this is my theory of why men get male pattern baldness. I believe that male pattern baldness is DIET related. Get your chuckles out now boys.

I believe that the reason that Asia has the lowest rate of male pattern baldness is because they don't consume dairy and also consume a vegetable rich diet. Countries with the highest rate of prostate cancer, heart disease and male pattern baldness consume the most dairy. Why is dairy the cause of male pattern baldness? It raises IGF-1. High IGF-1 causes prostate cancer too, as we all know. There are some who might argue that their are slick bald vegans in the US and EU, true, but I can explain that too. The reason that vegans in the west have male pattern baldness too, and some might argue accelerated male pattern baldness is because their IGF-1 levels are high too. They consume a huge amount of soy isolate products (those prepackaged soy burgers?) It's recently been discovered that soy isolate protein is WORSE than dairy in raising IGF-1 levels. Anyone care to poke holes in my theory? I'd to love to tango with you.

http://www.keratin.com/ac/baldnessbiolo ... loss.shtml

Can high insulin levels cause hair loss

It is well known that women who have high levels of insulin from the disease polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) are most likely to develop androgenetic alopecia. A study from Harvard School of Public Health showed that men who have the highest blood levels of insulin like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) are more likely to suffer male pattern baldness.

From this research some individuals have concluded that high blood levels of insulin and its growth factors may cause male pattern baldness in men and women. They suggest that pattern baldness may be caused by high levels of insulin produced by eating large amounts of sugary and floured foods such as bakery products and pastas. They believe male pattern baldness can be prevented by avoiding flour and sugar, eating fruits only with meals, and taking alternative treatments such as Glucophage, Actos, and Avandia that they claim lower insulin levels.

It is correct that high levels of insulin are found in men and women with hair loss. However, this is a consequence of androgen hormone activity that occurs in PCOS and pattern baldness and is unlikely to be the fundamental cause of hair loss. There is a complex interaction between androgen hormones, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), and insulin levels. When SHBG levels go down, insulin levels go up as a consequence.

If it was true that insulin directly caused pattern baldness then people with the autoimmune type I form of insulin dependent diabetes, where insulin production is significantly reduced, would be expected to be more resistant to development of pattern baldness and/or to have more limited hair loss.

However, there is no evidence to show that diabetics have reduced levels of pattern alopecia.

Insulin may have an affect on pattern alopecia, but the weight of evidence indicates that it is only a potential influence when other factors such as steroids and SHBG are involved.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
What do I think or what do I know? I know that diet is the most important factor.

How do you know that? There have been a lot of other changes as well.

Decrease in physical activity. More people working inside rather then outdoors. Increase in electromagnetic fields. Increased pollution. Increased use of chemicals. Increased hygiene. Might as well blame baldness on all of that...

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I belive that hairloss is just another step in human evolutian.. since we evolved from lesser species like the apes and such.. having less and less hair. But thats just a teory.
:D

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
Jojje said:
I belive that hairloss is just another step in human evolutian.. since we evolved from lesser species like the apes and such.. having less and less hair. But thats just a teory.

Ofcourse if it is evolutionary their has to be some kind of reason for this to develop.

Some say to increase sweating ability. Personally I don't buy this, it probably won't increase the heat dissipation capacity a whole lot, and why would balding be most prevalant in older men, they don't need to perform as much physical excercise as younger people...

Another interesting theory (I think posted by wook sometime ago) was about the fact that baldness protects older people from having to be competitive with the younger sexually active guys (with full heads of hair). It is a signal of decreased sexual activity (and decreased agressiveness). This would also explain why women think bald men are less attractive...

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
frailstar said:

Decrease in physical activity. More people working inside rather then outdoors. Increase in electromagnetic fields. Increased pollution. Increased use of chemicals. Increased hygiene. Might as well blame baldness on all of that...

How do I know? The China Study, a study conducted in the early 1970s proves it. Read The China Study book, better, go to amazon.com and read about this book. This book is what gave me the idea that male pattern baldness was not genetic at all but diet related. Just like cancer and heart disease. This guy studied different countries within China, those countries in China that consumed the most animal protein had the most heart disease and cancer, those that didn't had the least. So it's a snapshot inside China, studying diet and cancer and the connection. If it were genetics why then were cancer rates so different within China. He discovered a direct correlation between the percentage of animal proteins consumption and higher cancer rates. Proving that it's not genetics but diet. And NO I'm not trying to sell this book, I know I'm talking a lot about it, that's because it's important to my argument. It's hard to get into a debate when so few of you are even familiar with The China Study.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
Jojje said:

Ofcourse if it is evolutionary their has to be some kind of reason for this to develop.

Some say to increase sweating ability. Personally I don't buy this, it probably won't increase the heat dissipation capacity a whole lot, and why would balding be most prevalant in older men, they don't need to perform as much physical excercise as younger people...

Another interesting theory (I think posted by wook sometime ago) was about the fact that baldness protects older people from having to be competitive with the younger sexually active guys (with full heads of hair). It is a signal of decreased sexual activity (and decreased agressiveness). This would also explain why women think bald men are less attractive...

lol that whole evolution theory about baldness is hogwash. And it's going to look even funnier when it's discovered that it was diet related in the beginning.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
How do I know? The China Study, a study conducted in the early 1970s proves it. Read The China Study book, better, go to amazon.com and read about this book. This book is what gave me the idea that male pattern baldness was not genetic at all but diet related. Just like cancer and heart disease. This guy studied different countries within China, those countries in China that consumed the most animal protein had the most heart disease and cancer, those that didn't had the least. So it's a snapshot inside China, studying diet and cancer and the connection. If it were genetics why then were cancer rates so different within China. He discovered a direct correlation between the percentage of animal proteins consumption and higher cancer rates. Proving that it's not genetics but diet. And NO I'm not trying to sell this book, I know I'm talking a lot about it, that's because it's important to my argument. It's hard to get into a debate when so few of you are even familiar with The China Study.

Did they also check male pattern baldness in that study or just cancer and heart disease?

If it's just about cancer and heart disease I fail to see how you relate that to male pattern baldness.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
frailstar said:

Did they also check male pattern baldness in that study or just cancer and heart disease?

If it's just about cancer and heart disease I fail to see how you relate that to male pattern baldness.

Well that's why it's called a theory. Knowing that prostate cancer and heart disease is more common in those with male pattern baldness than it stands to reason doesn't it? And also explains why the Chinese who don't eat a lot of dairy have hair. There is a lot of data to give weight to my theory. I mean, we know what causes cancer and heart disease and we still have these bozo people who haven't made the connection and they work in a lab, maybe they s hould get out more eh?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i've seen many asians who are badly horribly, especially Koreans. IT'S GENETICS! :roll:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
And also explains why the Chinese who don't eat a lot of dairy have hair.

Do you have to keep using the word dairy in that context?? You sound like a hillbilly! :D

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:
i've seen many asians who are badly horribly, especially Koreans. IT'S GENETICS! :roll:

What kind of diet are those Koreans eating, where are they located? If you are saying that you know Koreans who live in America and are eating an American diet than it's the diet that is making them bald. Do you know Koreans who eat a traditional eastern diet without any western influence? Plus, this is here say, you saying it isn't scientific. You could be a liar, not that I'm saying you are. You haven't looked into these peoples diets and you have no factual data to back it up.

Now if you told me you lived in a rural Korean community and looked into their diet and found Korean men going bald who were on an eastern diet than we'd have something.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
frailstar said:
And also explains why the Chinese who don't eat a lot of dairy have hair.

Do you have to keep using the word dairy in that context?? You sound like a hillbilly! :D

Go drink a gallon of milk BUBBA and leave me alone.

docj077

Reaction score
frailstar said:
Jkkezh said:
frailstar said:

You are aware that both of the authors of the book you're referring to have male pattern baldness, I hope?

In fact, if you look hard enough, pretty much every physician that thinks they have something important to say about the human diet has some form of baldness.

Your genetics determine your body's response to your diet. Genetics are more important.