My terrible experience dealing with a FUE clinic in Atlanta

martinet

Reaction score
Below is a summary of my experience with an organization that I thought was a respected FUE clinic in Atlanta (Alpharetta, GA).

At this point, I omitted names to respect the privacy of organizations and individuals.

This is an honest account of the events that transpired during my experience with this clinic. I want others to read about my experience. This clinic did not give me informed consent and they humiliated me.

I'm in the process of consulting with several colleagues and family members who are attorneys and physicians to discuss what or if any mistakes were made. I just want my money back and nothing more. I'm not here to besmirch the doctor's reputation. Overall, I had an engaging conversation with the doctor. The doctor is a talented physician and this is evident by some of his patients’ results. Although, I will admit that a few points stated during a phone conversation I had with the doctor were not palatable to me.

I became suspicious of the clinic after they would not disclose to me what punch size will be used to remove my donor hair. During my initial consultation with the clinic, the doctor examined my donor hair and told me how many hairs on average I had per follicular unit. Knowing this information, one would assume that any experienced FUE doctor can provide an answer when asked what punch size will be used to remove the donor hair. In the weeks before my scheduled surgery, I asked the clinic twice what punch size they will be using. They would not tell me. The consultant eventually told me that if I wanted the doctor to use a specific punch size, the clinic would not be responsible for the results. This is not an acceptable answer. I am not being given informed consent if they do not tell me or give me an idea of what punch size will be used. Furthermore, I was deeply disturbed by the answer that the clinic gave me.

I then decided to visit with my own physician to discuss what the clinic had told me. My physician told me that I have a right to know what punch size they will be using. My physician also told me something else, which after hearing troubled me even more.

After my initial consultation with the clinic, I called back to ask about a risk that was not initially disclosed to me. I was told by the consultant that this was something I don't have to worry about. After hearing this, I felt comfortable enough with the clinic to go ahead and book the surgery. I found out later from my physician that the person at the clinic was wrong in telling me this information. My physician told me that the risk in question is definitely something I should be concerned about.

The second time when I called the clinic to ask about the punch size issue, they asked me if "Person X" from "Company Y" provided me with any information. I told them no and that I learned about this information after reading through several posts on another message forum (other than this one) in which individuals wrote statements claiming that the clinic uses large punch sizes. Additionally, the clinic then emailed me asking that I forward any correspondence with the person in question to the clinic.

At this point, I had enough. After learning from my physician of a risk that was not disclosed to me (which was dismissed by the consultant as something that I don't have to worry about), and the clinics consistent refusal to not disclose what punch size will be used, I decided to cancel my surgery.

It wasn't hard to find "Person X". All it took were a few google searches and I eventually found his number listed on a web site for "Company Y".

Although "Person X" couldn't tell me much, I was surprised to learn that this was due to a legal agreement between "Person X" and the clinic. From what "Person X" told me, he can't speak about them and they can't speak about him. If this is due to some legal agreement, then the agreement was not honored by the clinic because they mentioned "Person X" to me.

After they mentioned his name to me, I had to track him down to try and get some answers.

I called the clinic yesterday to find out about the status of my situation and when my money will be refunded, the consultant I spoke with told me that I will not be refunded. Additionally, the consultant rudely told me that "He" is not refunding my money.

Clearly, the ethics of honesty and integrity were not practiced in my experience with the clinic. I was not given informed consent and they humiliated me.

I forwarded "Person X" the email from this clinic in which they ask me about him and I explained my story to "Person X". This clinic connected me with "Person X".

All the events in my situation have been documented. If there is something I can do within the law to receive my money back, then I will work within the law to do so.

This is my experience with what is supposed to be a respected FUE clinic in Atlanta. My voice will be heard. Again, this is an honest account of the events that transpired during my experience with this clinic.

-- Let me state that I never signed the Surgical Disclosure and Consent forms. All I did was pay for the procedure because payment was due in full prior to the scheduled surgery date. It was only after I paid for the surgery in full that the clinic sent me the Surgical Disclosure and Consent forms. The clinic sent me these forms after the cancellation deadline to receive a full refund. --

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My terrible experience dealing with a clinic in Atlanta

so u paid 100% ahead of the surgery? is there fine print that said this is Non-refundable?

everything you say is ur word against their's. they can argue all these concerns of yours should have been brought fwd prior to signing the conract and paying (which im assuming u did). any punch size questions that were not answered should have been asked prior to signing.

what was the risk ur physician told u that the clinic says u needn't worry about? why would you not disclose that in your summary?

martinet

Reaction score
"After my initial consultation with the clinic, I called back to ask about a risk that was not initially disclosed to me. I was told by the consultant that this was something I don't have to worry about. After hearing this, I felt comfortable enough with the clinic to go ahead and book the surgery. I found out later from my physician that the person at the clinic was wrong in telling me this information. My physician told me that the risk in question is definitely something I should be concerned about."

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay so if Company X is traveling down a county road at 65 Miles an Hour in a South Westerly direction and Person Y is traveling down a perpendicular road at 45 Miles an Hour while listening to LA Woman by the Doors and both parties are 4 miles and 8 miles away from each other respectively. How long will it take for either party to explain to me why the f*ck you can't disclose names?

If your original post is true then there is no reason why you can't post names without fearing any legal recourse.

This main function of this forum is to inform members and guests about the good and the bad of the hairloss/replacement industry. By omitting names and the like you are letting your hairloss brethren down.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
martinet said:
"After my initial consultation with the clinic, I called back to ask about a risk that was not initially disclosed to me. I was told by the consultant that this was something I don't have to worry about. After hearing this, I felt comfortable enough with the clinic to go ahead and book the surgery. I found out later from my physician that the person at the clinic was wrong in telling me this information. My physician told me that the risk in question is definitely something I should be concerned about."

dude...why dont' you fricken disclose what this 'risk' is. im guessing the risk is you might still be a douche after your surgery?

too bad you signed without doing more research other than what the clinic told you. also, this risk was disclosed to you prior to signing...they just told you that u don't have to worry about it. a risk is a risk and you were informed of it. the severity of it is completely different...the amount you should be concerned about the risk is also irrelevant.

would be great if you could share this risk with everyone.

great post personguy!

CaptSandy

Reaction score
I don't understand all the confusion about hair treatments. When I started to go bald they didn't have any of this stuff, at least I don't think they did because I never thought about it. I was 40 and mostly bald the first time I ever heard of Rogain. I'm 60 now and up until a couple of years ago I was skin bald on top and wicked thin on the siges. But I'm not any more:)

A couple of years ago I was watching a baseball ball game and I got to thinking about baldness. That was due in large part to a commercial for Avacor. The same ad ran between every inning. They showed a "Before and After" of the back of some guys head. The picture was on the screen for a second only. Honest. About the sixth time the commercial came on I got up real close to the screen to see what the language was. I am talking about the words I saw in very small print at the bottom of the screen in between the Before and After pictures. Can anyone of you guys think of what it said? Was it something like "Results may vary." Nope. In between the Before and After picture it said, and I quote, "60 Seconds Later."

In my view, that was Avacor's way of avoiding a law suite. Hey, if the difference between the two pictures happened in 60 seconds, then you know it wasn't as the result of hair growth. That add really pissed me off. I was so pissed off I went searching on the computer, and guess what I found.

I found a product that increases blood flow to the scalp naturally. Since I have been using this all natural magnetic roller my hair loss has completely stopped, and I have re-grown so much new hair in the thin areas that every time I get my hair cut now the barber has to use thinning sheers. I don't understand for the life of me why this product isn't on every store shelf in every store in the country. It's call Mag-Gro and the only place I ever saw it was on line.

This product will work absolute wonders for you. Good luck to you. If you decide to use this magnetic roller I bet you will be surprised.

martinet

Reaction score
dude -

Let me reiterate what happened. Before proceeding with the surgery, I asked the consultant if hyperpigmentation is a risk that I should be concerned about it. That person told me no. This person told me that this is a risk that I don't have to worry about and that people with my skin tone are good candidates for this surgery. I was not given informed consent. Even after paying for the surgery they still would not give me informed consent when I demanded to know what punch size will be used to extract my donor hair.

My dermatologist cautioned that hyperpigmentation is a risk for me because it's already visible on my face and forehead.

In my cancellation letter to the clinic, I encouraged the clinic to speak with my dermatologist so that they could verify my concerns. Keep in mind, I originally went to meet with my dermatologist to get his opinion on the use of different punch sizes. I wasn't prepared to learn about the hyperpigmentation risks. Also, my dermatologist is a well known cosmetic surgeon where I live and he used to perform hair transplants.

Everyone is not susceptible to this risk. It really depends on your skin type and tone. My physician told me that this is a risk that I should be concerned about because it is a condition that I already suffer from.

When I asked the clinic about this risk, the consultant dismissed it. The consultant went on to tell me that people with my skin tone are good candidates for this surgery. This is what prompted me to go ahead and proceed with the surgery.

When I eventually notified the clinic of my decision to cancel the surgery, they tried to rectify the situation by telling me to first undergo a small test session. By this time, I had enough with clinic's:

- constant refusal to disclose what punch size will be used

- them telling me in the first place that the risk in question is nothing to be concerned about

- the clinic insinuating that I had contact with someone who I never knew prior to them mentioning that persons name to me

Ask your yourselves, why would you submit to a test session with this clinic after going through all of this?

My experience is thoroughly documented.

I want my story to be heard. This clinic was not candid with me, dismissed my concerns as trivial, and in the end they treated me with no respect.

martinet

Reaction score
Peronguy -

visit other forums, google different 'keywords', and then put the clues together --> you will get your answer.

i will never post names because this is due to privacy issues; however, i will post the clinic name after consulting with my legal and deciding what my options are...

this industry needs regulation and clinics need to be held responsible for the actions of their employees.

adios. i only visited this forum to post my experience. like i said: visit other forums, google different 'keywords', and then put the clues together --> you will get your answer.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only clinic in Alpharetta Georga is dr cole. I dont know about this case. I think you may be a shill for another doctor. It's hard to take these complaints seriously b/c there are so many cut throat practices all trying to vie for each others business. If you didnt feel comfortable then why did you go thru with it? I hold you totally responsible. You had the opp to back out but didnt now you are litigious. Gee how ironic? You wont get a dime. Unless you were maimed but even then it would be hard b/c there was informed consent. Do us all a favor and get lost. You are too suspect and your case has no merit.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
The only clinic in Alpharetta Georga is dr cole. I dont know about this case. I think you may be a shill for another doctor. It's hard to take these complaints seriously b/c there are so many cut throat practices all trying to vie for each others business. If you didnt feel comfortable then why did you go thru with it? I hold you totally responsible. You had the opp to back out but didnt now you are litigious. Gee how ironic? You wont get a dime. Unless you were maimed but even then it would be hard b/c there was informed consent. Do us all a favor and get lost. You are too suspect and your case has no merit.

X2.

Risk was disclosed and he was told it was nothing to worry about and he went ahead proceeded to sign and pay for surgery. Later he found out it was something to worry about and now wants out. Should've done more research about the 'risk' prior to signing...not afterwards.

Hey original poster, how much did you lose on this whole ordeal? Best to be bald!

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
martinet said:
Peronguy -

visit other forums, google different 'keywords', and then put the clues together --> you will get your answer.

i will never post names because this is due to privacy issues; however, i will post the clinic name after consulting with my legal and deciding what my options are...

this industry needs regulation and clinics need to be held responsible for the actions of their employees.

adios. i only visited this forum to post my experience. like i said: visit other forums, google different 'keywords', and then put the clues together --> you will get your answer.

dude - sh*t or get off the pot ffs

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I read this on another forum, I know which clinic you are talking about, I wont mention the name as I read the Doctor is a little trigger happy with his lawyer

felixthecat

Reaction score
yeah , me too...
give the guy a chance - youre all supposed to be here to support each other and share experiences , not to indulge in paranoid fantasies about every newbie being a shill with an agenda .
you should be grateful that he's sharing this - most people with bad experiences dont and they go unnoticed .

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Felix, you the same guy from hairlossadvances??

Shame about the forum closing down, I found it to be very insightful with no bullshit!

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Most people who share their bad experiences have their posts deleted, not that I have noticed that here, but other forums I have come across I have noticed.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lucky_UK said:
I read this on another forum, I know which clinic you are talking about, I wont mention the name as I read the Doctor is a little trigger happy with his lawyer

actually that was b/c a former tech named "hairtech" had a scum with him and it went to court. Internal issue but if you google that dr you will find the case on the Atlanta courts docket b/c it's public info. I would't believe most of this internet hype. Alot of shills or disgruntled employees sway these fragile hair transplant candidates b/c they are weak to begin with.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think anyone who thinks they are going to come out of any surgery with a pristine donor regardless of the punch size is not realistic. I have some hyperpigmentation in my donor but that is par for the course w having a surgery. There will always be scarring. This clown wont even post pics so he has no credibility as far as I am concerned.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
felixthecat said:
yeah , me too...
give the guy a chance - youre all supposed to be here to support each other and share experiences , not to indulge in paranoid fantasies about every newbie being a shill with an agenda .
you should be grateful that he's sharing this - most people with bad experiences dont and they go unnoticed .

BUT what is he sharing?? Where r the pics?

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes I know the history of hairtech and Dr ....., I believe there was a post by him on HLA which was very outspoken, I cannot repeat what the post said.

A short time later the forum was shut down, possibly due to legal reasons.

powersam

Reaction score
why post if you wont name names?

or is this special shill activity where you wait till we beg for the name, lending your story more credence?