My Story...and I'm freaking out

empanada

Reaction score
Hello to all of you. I have come here in hopes of understaning alopecia a little better and also figuring out what to do.
In April I noticed a "spot" about the size of a nickle on the top of my head and immediatley gasped because it was never there before. I immediatley scheduled an appointment with my doctor for that same day in hopes of him telling me that I had either ripped out with a brush or that it was broken hair from excessive blow drying. Needless to say, neither one of those were the case. He immidiatley said that it was Alopecia Areata and started talking to me about it. He calmed me down and said that it was stress related and that it would eventually go away, or should I say that my hair would grow back.
I took his word for it, but kept a close eye to see if it would get bigger. Before I could even realize, it had doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. Now...July, I have a patch of hair missing about 4 inches long by 3 inches wide. It's egg shaped.
In June I had started seeing a dermotologist who said the same thing that my physician said and gave me some ointments. She said that it appeard that I had already started regrowth, as there was stubble which appeared to be "new" hair. Needles to say about a month passed and the area just kept getting larger. I felt so disillusioned about the ointment that I asked her to begin the "shots".
So far I have had 4 treatments, and I don't see any kind of positive result. Instead, today I noticed another spot. Close to where my bald patch is. And it looks the same...about the size of a nickle.
The sad part is, is that it is right on the top of my head, where I can no longer cover it. I have been wearing hankerchiefs and headbands because they're thick, but I can't do it anymore.
I need some help with this. I have completely changed. My insecurity has increased so much to a point where all my relationships are being hurt. I don't leave my house unless it is extremely necessary. I feel ashamed and embarrassed, and I just don't know what to do. My husband's job requires us to attend many celebrity outings, client dinners and parties, and I can't seem to pick myself up and go.
I don't know what other options I have, as I don't fully understand what this is or what causes it. I don't know what else I could do to help hide the baldness and quite honestly I'm just freaking out.
I hope that someone here could give me a little hope that this is "fixable" because I am just not handling this well, and I need some guidance.
Please Help...

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
check out the site http://www.heralopecia.com, i think more women are on that site.

I'd recommend using you're hair to comb over the bald spot. Also, get some minoxidil and try applying it to the area that is bald, but it will take a few months to see if it is working or not.

Although I'm not a woman, I understand what you are going through as I am only 20 and losing my hair very quickly.

wawawa2

Reaction score
empanada ~

Welcome! I agree with TaintedMeat... you need to be in a forum with other women... (I like this forum however it has far too much testosterone for me... hee hee) I suggest heralopecia.com

I also have AA and have experienced hair loss and regrowth my whole life... (I'm now 34) Have either of your dermatologists mentioned a shot treatment? They generally will administer kenalog or another corticosteroid via shots directly to the bald area... this will stimulate regrowth as well...

Also, how does the hair look that is growing in the bald spots? I know it may still look bald but the stubble that you are seeing is quite possibly regrowth that was stimulated by the steroid ointments...

empanada

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you both for listening. I will check out that other site.
As far as the area which is bald, there is stuble there. Melanie, kind of like when you dont shave your legs for a couple of days. It just doesn't look like it's grown. It just feels stubbly.

Thank you again for your help. This is the first time that it's happened to me and I can't figure out what to do about it. I have had all kinds of testing done since Alopecia Areats is an auto-immune thing, and everything has come back normal. According to my doctors I am perfectly healthy except for the fact that I have a bald spot.

I used to have beautiful long full thick hair and now...it's completely different.

arrogantbastard

Reaction score
I'm 22 and had a spot on the back of my head when I was in 5th grade. I got some steroid cream and it came back pretty quickly as I remember. But When I was 21, the same spot had developed. I went back to the doctor and they gave me more cream, nothing. They started to give me shots, and it started growing back, so I stopped going. It never grew back completely though, and now a new spot on top of my head has developed as of today! which is why I'm lurking on this board. This sh*t sucks. Appointment with the dermatologist first thing monday! I feel your pain.