My injured man's workout

CCS

Reaction score
My knees are messed up a bit. I can walk, and even jog a bit, but if I ever go running my knees hurt before I get out of breath. Annoying, since running is a workout you can do without a gym. At least my complex has a gym. I jog on a treadmil with a 12% incline to reduce impact. The 12% incline wears me out fast though, so I have to alternate between jogging and walking. But it gets me out of breath and works me good, so I'm glad I have that.

I have a bad hunch back. And knees as I mentioned. So the squat is out. The squat is the best workout you can do. It can really get the adrenaline and testosterone pumping like nothing else. I know because I felt it a few times before having to give up. So now I hold 25 pound dumbbells at shoulder level and do squats that way. As long as I pay close attention to my every move, and go slow enough, I don't hurt my knees, though I get many warnings. This does not work my core as much as a squat, but is much better than nothing. And my lower back hurts sometimes.

My wrists are bad from rollerblading. I can do pushups on them, but they can't take the weight of bench press with a flat bar. This is because they are weak when the palms are up. And my thumb webbing can't take the weight either. The only way I can hold heavy weight is if I rest a barbell at 45 degrees down the valley between the meat of the thumb and the palm. Well, I build strength fast from bench press (I learned before my wrists started complaining), but not from dumbbel flies. I want a very curved barbell, but have not found any wide enough for a bench press. So right now, I have to do dumbbell flies with 50 pound dumbbells. Annoying because I can do a lot of reps, so I doubt my strength will go up much. But I still get a good burn and feel energized. I'll just add sets and reps gradually. I read lots of volume builds size but not strength, so here is hoping.

And I can't do chinups either. My left elbow can't take the tension. Eventually I'll get a CAT scan or something. But for now, I've learned I can do lat pull downs with 60-80 pounds as long as I don't straighten my elbows and don't pull the bar below my chin. I guess I'll be doing lots of sets and reps on this too, but it is better than nothing.

Everyone knows that chinups, squats, and bench press, and running are the best exercises there are. But I have to do without. And my ankles hurt when I swim, especially if I use flippers.

And I can't hike as much as I want because I my ankles and knees can't do the milage and downhill that the club hikers can do. And it is hard to build up to those hikes when I must do it on my own. I don't want to get eaten by a mountain lion while hiking by myself. Too bad I can't take more advantage of the hiking club.

I can still do dumbbell curls, and found that overhead one armed dumbbell tricept extensions burm my tricepts pretty good.

I can also do calf raises, though something in the balls of my feet starts to hurt if I do too much of them.

I bet skipping rope is out too.

Problems like this make it difficult for me to summon up the self discipline to go to the gym, especially when I often have to wait in line once I get there. But I think it is still possible for me to reach my goals. I just got to not give up, and stay consistent. Given the condition of my joints, I think it would be very stupid of me to ever try steroids. I never would have attempted the rediculous workout I jumped into and injured my elbow with, had I not thought Epistane would let me do it. I read that most steroid users do 30 sets per muscle group every other day. What I did not realize is they build up to that over years before they get on the gear. Yeah, no more dumb stuff in the name of fast gains. I got to care about my long term health and protect the only body I have.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new body.[attachment=0:33l39iu9]ROBOT.gif[/attachment:33l39iu9]

Attachments

• ROBOT.gif
    ROBOT.gif
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,489

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
See if your knees/ankles/wrists/left elbow/hunch back (did I forget anything?) can handle the rigours of a rowing machine. It's a great all-over workout, just start off with a low drag setting/resistance level.

CCS

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
See if your knees/ankles/wrists/left elbow/hunch back (did I forget anything?) can handle the rigours of a rowing machine. It's a great all-over workout, just start off with a low drag setting/resistance level.

They can. My elbows can handle it if I don't row too hard, and my knees can if I don't retract too fast. I prefer cable rows though, and then treatmill jogging later. Much harder to mess those up.

CCS

Reaction score
indoroids said:
my suggestion is, try to consult sportmedicine doctor

I hope they are better than the navy corpsmen. I'm really starting to think one doctor gave me the best advice: if it hurts, don't do it/stop doing it then. Just lightly stretch and gradually build yourself back up.

CCS

Reaction score
I think if I get enough money, I'll pay for an MRI soon and see what is wrong with my elbow. It was getting better, but I got a little too agressive with the lat pull downs and now it is feeling hurt again. Not super bad. But I will have to stop with those for a week or two and ease back in. Yeah, MRI should come before FUE. Only reason I'm temped not to do the MRI is I don't think they will find anything big enough to operate on, or the recovery from the operation will take just as long as if I just took a few years rebuilding anyway, or the operation will be 20k and not effective. So I might as well just save my money.

ali777

Reaction score
Dude, I used to get injuries all the time.... The human body is supposed to be an amazing machine that repairs itself. if you are active enough, your body will eventually get stronger and those injuries will disappear.

My injuries where mainly sports or impact injuries. I injured my wrist, both ankles, elbow, both knees all of them more than once. Taking a break and letting the injury heal is probably the right thing to do, but if you do power walking or light jogging, the muscles and the bone tissue should be getting stronger...

Don't let the injuries get to you... Keep at it.... but know your limits.... You made it sound like you go to the gym and try to do something you aren't ready to do yet...

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
CC to the S....

suggestion: I think it might be good to incorporate a sport like Gymanstics into your program. Im talking about olympic style gymanstics... the kind that has all compounded moves and makes you gain big levels of strengh and muscle at the same time, Try going to a gym a couple of times and see what you think of it..... I think you would give your muscles another completely type of stimilus besides your weight lifting routine...

I have a good friend who started doing it just cause he thought it would be a fun thing to try and hes gotten pretty big over the last 6 months. He had trained with weights a bit but he was just a normal to small dude before.

also, Alli77 advice to you of not biting more than you can chew at the gym is true man.... an injured body is a body that cant work and therefore grow... go at your own rythm.... listen to ur body... power walking is good to get back into strengh.

laters..

s.a.f

Reaction score
Taking up gymnastics at 29??? What taking lessons with all the 7 year old kids?

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
nah..... I bet he could find a class/gym that trains with older guys..

he goes to a big college, those schools usually have gymastics teams and facilities... could be something to try.

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS, welcome to my world, or at least my old world.

What you are describing (except for the wrist injury) is a classic case of muscle imbalance. I have been in the same position as you as far as the knees. My other situation was my shoulders. I'm better now but it took me a couple of years to figure it out and deal with the embarrassment of lifting lighter weights in the gym for a while.

1. First off, if you don't take fish oil, please start twice a day. This helped my joints out a lot even before I balanced myself out. Do this religiously and I'll bet you will start feeling results in a month.

2. Knees: Your knees most likely hurt because you have a hamstring - quadricep imbalance. Your quads are probably much stronger than your stiff and most likely weak hamstrings. The second issue is a crime that most people make and that is an improper squat. Most people lean forward too much with their squats putting strain on their backs and knees. If your back moves while doing the squat and your knees go past your toes, you need to start back at the basics. The best way to get back into the squat is to not use any weights at all for a while. Place a Swiss ball on your lower back and lean against a wall. Place your feet out well in front of you. Always look straight ahead and descend until your upper legs are at least parallel with the floor. DO NOT let your knees go past your toes! If they do, place your feet out farther in front of you. This is a great exercise to practice form and build your stabilizer muscles. Next focus on your hamstrings. Do exercises like "good mornings" and do hamsting excercises at a ratio of 2-1 over squats. This means some days you will do hammy exercises but no quad work.

Once you feel like you can start using weights again, grab a barbell and hold it in front of you up by your shoulders instead of behind your neck. This will help you keep better form (allowing you to lean back easier without losing balance), work your core stabilizers better, and give your upper body a little workout too. You back should not hurt. If it does, it means you are lifting with your back and not your hips. You want to push up with your heels and one way to help you do that is to stick weights or a board underneath your toes. This will help you focus on leaning back during the squat. If the gym staff isn't looking, I actually take off my shoes as this helps me focus on using my heels.

Deadlifts are another great workout for your legs. This also requires good form and you also want to focus on looking forward, keeping your back arched backwards, dragging the bar along your shins as you lift, push forward with your hips and almost feel like you are falling back.

Anyway, sorry I'm getting so wordy but your situation was so similar to mine and I know you can fix this.

3. Back: A hunch back or bad posture is a definite sign of muscle imbalance and most likely poor flexibility. If you are like one of my friends, he focused quite a bit on his chest with bench press but did not do as intense of a back workout. His pectorals and anterior deltoids began to pull forward and gave him that slouched look. T-rows are the best back excersice IMO for the opposing bench press (please note, I did not say the best back exercise). Tight hamstrings could be the other culprit. Stretch and strengthen baby!

As for the treadmill, I just read that excessive incline on the treadmill is bad for your back. 2-4% is all that is necessary to help absorb impact on your knees.

4. Elbow: I've never had a bad elbow but I do know what tennis elbow is. Many people call it tennis elbow because the act of swinging the racket is a replicating movement and favors one set of muscles over another. There are other causes too such as injury and inflammation but many times these are just secondary reactions.

You may have also injured your elbow by locking it during certain exercises. Exercises that involve holding heavy weights out from your sides (like many shoulder exercises) can strain your elbows if you lock them. I've made it a habit to keep them slightly bent.

5. Wrists: Not sure on this one. You probably screwed it up badly landing on it a few times. My only thought would be to do your best to strengthen your grip. One of my favorites is wrapping a towel around a barbell where my hands are and do curls. It simulates a thicker bar and adds instability. This one burns and you will not be able to curl as much weight.

Lastly, while on your rehab, try and avoid isolation exercises and focus on compound exercises. I used to be addicted to isolation exercises because I got big quickly. The bad thing is that I really didn't feel that much stronger and I believe that isolation attributed to my muscle imbalance. Compound exercises simulate the real world so much better. They work your stabilizer muscles and train your muscles to work together as team. I also do not believe in Smith machines and other machines besides cables (I love cables). Machines generally only work in a specific plane and usually one that is unrealistic to the real world. Additionally, most do not allow your joints and stabilizers to move the way they should causing inflammation and possible injury.

Whew, okay, I babbled quite enough for now. I sincerely hope you recover CCS. I know I did and I wish somebody told me some of this stuff long before I got injured.

barcafan

Reaction score
Well done yello!

I myself am a pretty strong lad, but ive had my fair share of leg/knee issues.

ali777

Reaction score
yello911 said:
2. Knees: Your knees most likely hurt because you have a hamstring - quadricep imbalance. Your quads are probably much stronger than your stiff and most likely weak hamstrings. The second issue is a crime that most people make and that is an improper squat. Most people lean forward too much with their squats putting strain on their backs and knees. If your back moves while doing the squat and your knees go past your toes, you need to start back at the basics. The best way to get back into the squat is to not use any weights at all for a while. Place a Swiss ball on your lower back and lean against a wall. Place your feet out well in front of you. Always look straight ahead and descend until your upper legs are at least parallel with the floor. DO NOT let your knees go past your toes! If they do, place your feet out farther in front of you. This is a great exercise to practice form and build your stabilizer muscles. Next focus on your hamstrings. Do exercises like "good mornings" and do hamsting excercises at a ratio of 2-1 over squats. This means some days you will do hammy exercises but no quad work.

I have come to the realisation that wearing wrong shoes causes knee injuries as well. I never had a problem with wearing random shoes but I had some knee pain in the past and trial and error lead me to the conclusion that the cause was the shoes I was wearing.

Now, I can only wear walking/hiking type of shoes. I need shoes that that have slightly raised heels and make me step to the outside and not the inside. If the sole is rather flat and I step inside, my knees are done in less than 10 mins.

I walk long distances and I run regularly, I don't think my muscles are weak but I just don't understand why my knee ligaments are so susceptible to different types of shoes.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
ali777 said:
I walk long distances and I run regularly, I don't think my muscles are weak but I just don't understand why my knee ligaments are so susceptible to different types of shoes.
Pronation?

CCS

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
ali777 said:
Pronation?

I would ask a sports Doctor about pronation, but I'm of the opinion that most doctors can't diagnose anything. They do know a few good principles, like not to give anti-biotics during the first 48 hours of a cold that is probably viral. But as far as looking at your leg and determining what is wrong, I just don't trust them. You really have to describe verbally to them what you are feeling, and then they can run through a textbook algorithm in their head to diagnose it. If you can't get specific enough, they can't help. And looking at your foot often is just not conclusive enough for them.

I wish my knee problem could be solved with different shoes. If that was what I needed, I'll pay a Doctor to find out which one. But in order for them to diagnose me, they have to know what I'm doing that causes the pain. They would probably have to take off my shoe, look at it, see me standing it it, and then follow me on a 2 mile run and watch how my feet hit the ground until my knees start hurting so bad I have to stop. Then they could tell me what shoe to get. But I doubt I can get a Doctor to do that. So I'm probably on my own.

CCS

Reaction score
yello911 said:
CCS, fish oil, please start twice a day.
will do.

yello911 said:
2. Knees: Your knees most likely hurt because you have a hamstring - quadricep imbalance. Your quads are probably much stronger than your stiff and most likely weak hamstrings.
True, I do lots of cycling without toe straps, and squats, so I'm sure my hamstrings are weaker.

yello911 said:
The second issue is a crime that most people make and that is an improper squat. Most people lean forward too much with their squats putting strain on their backs and knees. If your back moves while doing the squat and your knees go past your toes, you need to start back at the basics.
Leaning too far forward does overwork my lower back, and it has rolled the bar onto the back of my neck too, which hurt for days.
As for the knees going past the toes, I just don't think it is physically possible not to do that with a squat, unless you are leaning back against a ball like you say. But if everyone who does squats puts their knees past their toes, why should I not do that too?

Once you feel like you can start using weights again, grab a barbell and hold it in front of you up by your shoulders instead of behind your neck.
When I hold a heavy barbell or dumbbells in front of me or to my sides by my shoulders, I feel a sharp pinching pain low on my bicep where it meets the inner elbow, as if a blood vessel were getting pinched or something. Can't do. It is good for about 3 reps before I can't stand the pinching any more. Maybe jamming a wash cloth in there would take away the pinch.

Deadlifts are another great workout for your legs.
I can't do dead lifts or heavy shrugs or anything that pulls my hands away from my elbows. This pulling force hurts my left elbow, at a tendon on the inside near the tricep. I can do heavy bench and other pushing just fine. I can't do curls with my palms up, but can do hammer curls just fine.

3. Back: A hunch back or bad posture is a definite sign of muscle imbalance and most likely poor flexibility. If you are like one of my friends, he focused quite a bit on his chest with bench press but did not do as intense of a back workout.
True. In 8th grade and most of high school, I did lots of bench press and no rowing. Rowing takes a maching. Bench is cheap. So are curls. It was not until I got to college that I started rowing in the gym, and even then I mostly did bench. Now that my left elbow can't take even half weight rows, I got to do high reps with lower weight, like maybe 4 pounds. As for my biceps, the only way to challenge them is with hammer curls, since I can't do chin ups or heavy rows.

As for the treadmill, I just read that excessive incline on the treadmill is bad for your back.
2-4% is all that is necessary to help absorb impact on your knees.
I discovered 15% hurts my feet, since they were hurt anyway. 5% has been working great. But I'll lower to 4% now that I read this.

4. Elbow:
You may have also injured your elbow by locking it during certain exercises. Exercises that involve holding heavy weights out from your sides (like many shoulder exercises) can strain your elbows if you lock them. I've made it a habit to keep them slightly bent.
Definitely from locking them. I did all my chin ups till I brought the bar to my nipples, and then went all the way down to a straight arm. I also did wide grip chin ups like this with weights. And many sets. I was in a hurry to build muscle and though I'd try the high calorie, 30 set workouts of the roid users to get bigger. Instead I got an injured elbow in just 4 days, which has stuck with me about two years now, improving, but not healing fully. I was also taking Epistain, which is hard on tendons. Yeah, I feel pain only when I fully extent my arm during heavy lift, so now I don't extend all the way.

5. Wrists: Not sure on this one. You probably screwed it up badly landing on it a few times. My only thought would be to do your best to strengthen your grip.

I think my hand was over extended back. Think top of hand bending back towards fore arm. It was forcefully bent not much past 90 degrees but just far enough to hurt it. Or it could have been the force of the bottom of the palm breaking the fall of my body from a 3 foot fall when my feet came out from under me and I went off a 1 foot drop. I was in serious pain afterwards and had it set at the doctor's office. Took 2 months before I could even trim my finger nails again.

Lastly, while on your rehab, try and avoid isolation exercises and focus on compound exercises. The bad thing is that I really didn't feel that much stronger and I believe that isolation attributed to my muscle imbalance.

Hammer curls are the only way I can work my biceps. And since I love presses, I doubt my triceps will fall behind. I don't do preacher curls either. I do standing dumbbell curls, bath hands at the same time. I'm sure that has to work some stabilizer muscles.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm going to go do some 4% incline treatmill work, 3 sets of hammer curls, and try to experiment with some kind of straight leg hamstring work for today. I'll get back to cable pulls next time. I want to wait a full week at least to make sure my left elbow does not bight me in the behind again. And I'll stick to 40 pounds next time. I learned that if i gradually lower the weight just to the level of no pain, it injuries itself anyway and i have to lower it again. That was 2 years ago. This time I'm going to really drop the weight to get below the injury threshhold.