My hair transplant experience with Dr. Arvind Poswal - 4147 grafts

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow members,
Most of you know me here as a regular poster in minoxidil and treatment forums. I got 4147 strip grafts and 20 Body hair grafts with Dr. A on June 23 and June 24.

My pictures before hair transplant are posted in
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/makingslo ... /my_photos.

This contains pictures from July 2005 and Jan 2006.

I started prox-N and spintrap (very small amount) from late Jan 2006. I replaced finasteride with dutasteride from Feb 27 (started with a loading dose of 1.5 g per day for the first 10 days
and currently on 0.5 g/day). Though I haven't grown significant amount of hairs in the last 5 months I believe that I see some slight improvement (correct me if I am wrong).
My pre-op pictures taken on June 23 2006 are posted in http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/techprof/. My only regret has been not using finasteride or dutasteride and prox-N with minoxidil at the first sign of balding.
I seriously believe that if one were to start this regimen at NW2 or NW3 they won't need a hair transplant.

Now more about the hair transplant.

My wife, our one year baby and I flew to Delhi on June 22 for a strip surgery on June 24 (the appointment date).
Since I was going for a large number of grafts, Dr. A suggested we do it in two days
(June 23 and June 24).

Dr. A's receptionist/secretary Ms. Sunita was very friendly. She answered our questions. She checked my scalp and suggested we may not need more than 1500
grafts or so depending the areas we want to do.

Dr. A came later and we talked about my situation. Though I have some hairs on the top, they are far away from each other and don't help at all.
My worst part is my vertex and crown. Eventhough it was tempting to fix the hairline and the first third of the scalp, Dr. A and I decided to work mainly on the vertex
(after the hairline to the vertex) and I insisted on some grafts for the crown.

We implanted 3017+ grafts after the hairline to the vertex in the first day and on the second day we took the remaining 6 cm of the strip and implanted 1128 grafts on the crown.
Dr. A also implanted 20 body hairs from my chest to my left temples. Unfortunately our digital camera broke during the flight journey during baggage transactions and I did not take any pictures.
I have to rely on picutres from Dr. A. I will be buying a digital camera soon and updating pictures frequently.

The area to be implanted was marked and shown in the website http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/techprof/. There are some post-op pictures also.
The reasons for why I chose this area were the following

1. The hairline hairs are formed from the medication. We were afraid that if implanted more hairs there we might lose the medication grown hairs.
2. The vertex and crown has not improved compared to the hairline from the medication (I responded better in my hairline, can you believe it?)
3. The crown is very big and my head is very big. So we decided to fix the area after the hairline to vertex and with reasonable dense packing. With this I hope
that I don't need to touch this area in the future.
4. 1128 grafts were placed in the crown. This will give a diffuse crown look. I am hoping to grow my hairs longer and get away with this.

I liked the following things about Dr. A's clinic
1. Dr. A did not push for any kind of surgery. He said we can do only a small amount now to see how I respond and do more latter. I wanted to get it done in one day.
2. Dr. A's staff were very friendly and helped with accomodation and other things as needed.
3. Dr. Sangay and Dr. A answered all of our questions (including many silly questions my wife and I asked.
For example, will shampooing everyday make you lose hair, Dr. A said no).
4. Dr. A's work ethics-he was there most of the time instructing or supervising his support staff.
5. Dr. A's communication skills (he was very affirmative, at the same time being nice to every one and every questions). I tend to lose temper when I argue.
6. When my wife was concerned about me using prox-N, nano and others he said he is not knowledagable about those topicals and I might know more from the forums than him.

Now comes the criticism part. These are mainly suggestions and not criticisms. I suggest the following improvements if possible

1. Dr. A should measure the recipient area beforehand and give an approximate number of grafts and density. I didn't ask this. If I had asked he might have done it.
2. Pictures and measurements of strip taken (Dr. A might still be able to post this).
3. I know this is difficult but perhaps Dr. A can give a tutorial to Ms. Sunita and other staff members about the use of topicals against male pattern baldness and baldness. For example,
my wife asked Ms. Sunita if Nizoral can be used twice or thrice a week. Sunita replied saying that it is only for anti dandruff and should be used only once a week. There
are studies showing use of nizoral growing hairs. This lead to a fight (argument) between my wife and I after the first day (affecting my sleep before my second day hair transplant).
Fortunately Dr. A answered the next day saying that use of shampoo will not make us bald and I might know more from the forums than him.
Otherwise my wife and I would be fighting about prox-N, NANO nizoral shampoo etc.
4. To avoid this Dr. A can make Dr. Sangay or some else to spend time on forums to learn more about proven, FDA approved and other studied products for hairloss.I know that this is a lot of work, but it is very beneficial to the hairloss sufferers. If the products can save 1000 grafts, the patients can get better looking results.

Other thoughts on my hair transplant
1. I am still not able to sleep well because of sutures and irritation.
2. I flew for 24 hours or so to reach the US immediately after surgery. Avoid this if you can.
3. I had to get back to work with a cap. This is the most painful part. Take off from work for a month if you can.
4. My back area (from crown to the strip) feels like a wood (no blood flow at all). I hope it improves.

scientist

Reaction score
hope you get good growth :)

one thing i forgot to do when i was over there was get cheap bulk propecia, i would suggest some sort of service like that through the front desk for people like me who have to pay $72/month in tennessee :(

s

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
scientist few tips.
get a doctor to write a presc. for proscar.
also get for 3 months. this way if you have copay you pay only 20 or 40 dollars only for 3 months.

scientist

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, i'm gonna switch asap

how is your strip scar at this point? dr A explained how he closes his strip and it sounds like it should leave a nice thin scar

s

CCS

Reaction score
just letting you know what to expect.
I've had three strip procedures, whith each strip including the previous scar. it is normal for the back of your head to be completely numb. Bosely was my first at age 23. Dr Hamilton took 898 grafts and my head was numb for 2 months. THe next procedure was with dr keene. She took 1900 grafts and my head was half numb for about 1.5 months. my third procedure was with her again, but this time 1300 grafts. the back was numb for 2 days, or maybe just slightly numb for a little longer. 1300 grafts was much less uncomfortable than the first two procedures. the incision areas are less numb, but the numbness may last a month or two in decreasing degrees.

CCS

Reaction score
just letting you know what to expect with your numbness, since you were worried about it.
I've had three strip procedures, whith each strip including the previous scar. it is normal for the back of your head to be completely numb. Bosely was my first at age 23. Dr Hamilton took 898 grafts and my head was numb for 2 months. THe next procedure was with dr keene. She took 1900 grafts and my head was half numb for about 1.5 months. my third procedure was with her again, but this time 1300 grafts. the back was numb for 2 days, or maybe just slightly numb for a little longer. 1300 grafts was much less uncomfortable than the first two procedures. the incision areas are less numb, but the numbness may last a month or two in decreasing degrees.
i do know a guy who said his was permanent. but he thinks it was worth it.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
scientist,
you are welcome.
Dr. A used triclosure technique. I am hopeful that scar will be very thin.

Collegechemistry thanks for your post regarding numbness. It looks like it is probably a good idea to take off from work for a month or two for the inconvenience caused.

As of today (mainly the last two days) I have l lost most of transplanted hairs. The waiting game has begun and I am counting days.

I applied cortizone cream on my recipient areas and it was very dry. In a moment of madness I rubbed my recipient areas to spread the cream. I hope at 18 days the grafts have set in and I didn't damage them.

G

techprof,

It is highly unlikely that you caused yourself any damage. Congrats again!

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gillenator, thanks very much. It is very comforting to hear from you.

beaner

Reaction score
Techprof...are you using anything on your scalp since the procedure..ie copper peptides...I've read a lot in particular about the use of folligen post procedure to help the grafts take. I believe there is/was a product developed by Pickard called Graftcyte which was designed specifically for this purpose.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
beaner, there are mixed opinions about post op products.
Dr. A said there is no need for anything other than minoxidil.
I started minoxidil 14 days after the hair transplant.
Also I am using tricomin twice a day, proxiphen-N once a day.
Also I use spintrap C on the scar little bit.

Personally I believe proxiphen-N and tricomin should do anything sods can do.

G

You're welcome techprof!

Beaner, Procyte Corp was the manufacturer of Graftcyte unless they were bought out. And come to think of it, I believe I read something several years ago about their being acquired.

Do you or anyone else know about this?

smirkey

Reaction score
hope you dont mind me asking,but what sort of price per graft does dr arwind charge. what hotel did you stay in ? where did you here of the Doctor to in the first place

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
smirkey,
sure. Dr. A makes is transparent on his website. http://www.fusehair.com

I paid 4000$ (including 500$ advance) for 4000+ strip grafts. Dr. A charges 3.5$ per graft for fue and bht.

I stayed in rockland inn hotel. (next to dr. A's clinic). though the hotel was ok and good, the service was very bad.

smirkey

Reaction score
i have just recently read your post (post 21 days) the link does not seem to do much.
shame because im really interested in seeing your results;with the intention of using dr arwind at a later date.
any chance you can re-post the pics

CCS

Reaction score
you paid $1 per graft? Please let me know how the scar on the back of your head goes. Any numbness? I'm going to check out that site.

CCS

Reaction score
oh. india. yeah, 4000 grafts is worth it. but the air fair would make it not worth it for me. I only want 600 more grafts. maybe 1000, if HM does not come around and I don't regrow any more hair.