My doctor won't prescribe finasteride after reading the profile

SpaceFox

Reaction score
yeah, so what should I do? I really really don't want to go bald; I have done quite a bit of research, read personal accounts/stories

and the pro's outweigh the cons for me.

She thought it would be "too dangerous" give that I am relatively young still, but how does age have to do with anything? she mentioned the fact that "it can cause cancer" is this proven to increase the risk, or does that mean that there MIGHT be a link? I also read that it lowers the risk of prostate cancer...so.

I figured, if I don't get any side effects, I can at least stop when I hit 40 or something. But please god, I really want my hair to stay.

What should I do? should I bother to get another doctor all together? for the most part I like them and everything. Would going to a walk-in clinic doctor help? I've had them prescribe them things before.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, from what I gathered, it doesn't completely stop the conversion of testosterone to DHT, does it? I thought it only lowered it a bit.

It does sound really iffy to me, honestly, to mess with your hormones like that. Maybe it wouldn't cause noticeable side-effects in everyone, but I'm sure it does something.

Still...want to try.

- - - Updated - - -

I was told that I have higher levels of testosterone then average, and that it's almost "too high" (whatever that means)
so, it would probably actually be a little beneficial to me. I'm pretty much always horny, it drives me freaking nuts.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah that is part why I havent asked my Doctor yet. He is very anti drug in general so he would never prescribe it, but I went to a derm and he wrote me the script no problem. I think derms just have more experience and comfort with it because they have way more patients on it, and know how safe it is relative to most other drugs. Its been around 20 years its pretty safe.
Honestly I think some of these drugs like this should be OTC because most docs dont know diddley about this stuff anyways. Its the person choice to try it really not the doctors. They just use it go get you into doctor visits you never really needed in the first place.
I think permanent sides are possible and maybe happened in a few rare cases. Just way too many unknowns to ever say it couldnt happen. Its not a lot though.

SpaceFox

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the whole debate over "permanent side effects?" I am curious as to that.

It's not conclusive.

I mean, you hear lots of women who take it without hardly even thinking about it because it's such a big part of who they are, and would be so negative for them socially. I almost sort of feel that same way...It would not fit me at all, all those I suppose it wouldn't be the same perhaps. I guess not many men want a bald women...

‘nocebo effect’ — an adverse side effect that is not a direct result of the specific pharmacological action of the drug — and suggest that this “has to be taken into account when managing finasteride sexual side effects.”[SUP]9[/SUP]

lukcen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Now I know truth. If your doctor won't prescribe Finasteride for you, then get a new doctor, or get it online as i do.
findoc.png

Last edited: