My Big 3++ story...Month 11 update! Coming close to one year

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I made it onto here. This has been a short but hard journey, convincing myself that I'm actually losing it and then finding out that there are actually promising treatments.

My hair was always important to me. In highschool days I would wear it very long and had thick and beautiful hair girls were jealous of. Then in my twenties I wore it quite short, spiked up with gel. This is still the hairstyle I'm having at now 34. As far as my family history is concerned my mother's father lost his hair at about 22 and went to having nothing in about 2 years (I believe this is Norwood 7)! So really fast and devastating hairloss. My other grandfather was the receding type with high temples but still had white hair when he died. My father is receding in the front up to a point but has very thick and dense hair at the back of his head. Nice hairloss kind of. And almost made for hair transplant IMO but he couldn't care less.

It started 2 years ago for me. I only was concerned about my hairline as I always assumed that I would never go bald in the back. Well in my early twenties it receded a bit. But maybe a third of an inch, so next to nothing I cared about. So I thought I was doing good. Had my 30th birthday and still a mane on top. Then two years ago I thought that the hair on the back of my head was looking less dense and was difficult to style. Still I didn't pay much attention. To be on the safe side I mentioned it to a dermatologist. She looked at it and didn't think I was losing it, but told me of minoxidil and finasteride as only alternatives. But she would rather use the minoxidil. So I figured, just to be on the safe side and catch it early I ordered it. And so I did. I used it twice daily, but my head was itchy and the hair very dry. So I went to use it only once a day. To this day. I also went through an inital shed where I would have up to 100 hairs on my pillow where before there was nothing major to report. Then I knew how hairloss felt. It was scary. But I read about it and I rode it out. It stopped and I don't remember when which is good. For two years I went on with that and always had my itchy head but still hair on it.

I was very conscious about it though and looked at it very often. Last year when I had a very short haircut, I found that for the first time there were clear signs that the classical patch on the back was shining through. Still plenty of hair. I have very thick hair and no problem wearing a "haircut".

But then in June of this year I started getting worried and would look at my hair a lot. Also I noticed that I lost quite a bit of hair when applying my gel in the morning. But hardly any hairs on my pillow. I was starting to get really worried. I decided to go to a dermatologist (stating the treatment of hairloss on this webpage). This was a good decision. He confirmed that I was losing it. I truly had to hear that from him to really believe it. I was so convinced that it wasn't really happening, yet unsure. My girlfriend and family thought I was doing ok on top. Only someone at work made a stupid comment which really hurt me (who at three years older still has every damn hair on top).

Anyways the doctor mentioned what I had read on the web to me. I knew he would bring up Propecia, which I planned to not take because you only read so much about the sides. He sold it to me because he said he took it himself. Also he was extremely nice and understanding and could share my pain. For some time I was devastated but very decided to fight against it. I also started to openly talk about it with my girlfriend and family. Very hard for me, but very relieving. You start to realize that it isn't such a big thing for others.

So here I am now. I read all I could on the net. I found lots of forums and tons of posts with everything you have read and written too. I found this forum and I read through the recommendations to start a regimen. This was really very well written. It motivated me so much that I decided to join this forum and post my story here. It was the first time I understood why my minoxidil wasn't doing the job properly alone. I thought about stopping it but was unsure. The Doctor gave me two good shampoos to treat the itch and little dandruff. I started to pop the pill daily and made pics.

After one week I started to get sides. Not the usual ones but diarrhea. Yes, very unlikely. Not reported often. But I knew it was from that. It was again devastating and I was so determined to fight hairloss. But my body just didn't tolerate the pill. I was feeling miserable and bloated all the time. then I read that you could actually take half a pill and have almost similar success with it. This is what I'm doing now. I take a quarter in the morning and evening for the last 1 1/2 months. I started the original Propecia which I seem to tolerate better together with a quarter of Finpecia.

Now I'm doing better. No more diarrhea although my stomach is a bit upset constantly. But it is something I can bear at the moment (the lactose in the pill doesn't help either). I'm seeing quite some shed at times and some sides (I feel my testies sometimes and an urge to urinate aside from the stomach problem). Funnily enough these things aren't constant.

Anyways. I decided to take the advice on this forum. I will ride out the shed. I will take a year with my current regimen. I will not let myself drive crazy by the many posts about sides and what not. I will be a success story here. I want to grow back what I have lost and do my best to maintain as much as I can. I still have a lot to lose. I will not be impatient and I will not forget to take my pill.
Thank you for all the motivation on this forum. For the outsider this is hard to understand and it is not the most important thing, but there are many that share your pain.

Comments are very welcome. I will post pics too and try to document what's happening. Apart from the shed not much. Thought I'd seen some hair in my temples?! But that could be wrong.

Thanks, Will.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My story...just started treatment/comments?

Ok, here are a few pics from the day where I started Propecia. I feel confident that this will work to some extent. I'm already 34 and haven't been balding in my 20s, so I'm hoping that I don't go too far up on the Norwood scale. Also I hope that it hasn't been too aggressive. I have to add that I'm still at this point where people don't really notice it. It actually doesn't look as bad as in this harsh light, but that's what it is. I still have quite a good haircut. I will post proof of that when I'm ready :)
Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    509.4 KB · Views: 2,054
  • IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    794.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 850
  • IMG_0884.JPG
    IMG_0884.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 868
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    759.7 KB · Views: 917
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 1,103

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Now after 1 1/2 months:

Attachments

• Foto 11.jpg
    Foto 11.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Foto 9.jpg
    Foto 9.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Foto 17.jpg
    Foto 17.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,033
  • Foto 6.jpg
    Foto 6.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 934
  • Foto 16.jpg
    Foto 16.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 932

dboy

Reaction score

Looks like the propecia is helping you right?....Do you think the rogaine did anything?

Thanks

dboy

Reaction score

Seems like the propeica is working......Do you think the rogaine helped any?....or do the propecia make it better?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi,
I am doubtful that I'm seeing progress already, though I think I've seen new hair in the front where it's easier to tell. I will (in 2 weeks time) for my month 2 take pictures under the same harsh light as before. I think it is that more than anything else that makes it look more dense.

On the first pictures I was just on minoxidil. My hair was really dry and my head itchy. The shampoos (Ducray Elusion and Kelual) have helped a great deal to get rid of the itch and bit of dandruff. I added Nizoral myself. So the look and feel of the hair in the back has definitely gotten better. The rest of my head (where I didn't have any itch) always had good and thick hair.

Also before I started Propecia I was a bit sloppy with minoxidil. I took it daily but only once and less than the recommended dose. I have now changed all that. Keeping my regimen religiously.

The hair has definitely gotten better, don't know about more dense though. We will see. It is always hard to tell what helps more. I don't know how it would have progressed without the minoxidil. The follicles are alive in any case. Should have started finasteride earlier maybe, but I'm lucky I'm doing something as early as this. Nobody thinks I'm balding at the moment.

I think Propecia is doing its work though as I feel its effects even with my small dose. This is the more powerful drug and it fights the DHT. Without it I wouldn't have done anything to fight the main reason for my hairloss. This should now do its job.

Will watch it closely and take pictures...
Thank you

dboy

Reaction score

If you still itch, you may want to switch to rogaine foam or order some minioxidil on amazon without the ppg. I myself get itchy and red scalp from regular minoxidil.....Have you notice any sexual side effect s from the Propecia?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank you, the itch got significantly better, it is really tolerable right now. This is due to the three different shampoos I'm using now. Also the look of the hair in the back is much better I think. Before it was a couple of dry feathers.

Propecia is fine apart from my stomach and testicular feel every once in a while. Everything is working. I'm on half the recommended dose so I'm hoping this keeps sides in check as well. Also I'm trying to not spend too much time listening to my body. I really want to enjoy the positive aspects of this drug...

Libido is not affected as far as I can tell. I do notice a decrease vis a vis 3-4 years ago though. This didn't change in the last 2 months that I'm taking finasteride though. It may be stress or relationship related I don't know.

I think there are a lot of people really freaked out about it. And it's good to treat it with respect. But I definitely think that the libidoless camp is a lot louder than the people that take it without problems. They spend time on the dating forums or the windsurf forums or the travel forums. They don't whine around on balding forums like we do :)

ethanperske

Reaction score

I was blessed with thick long hair. However, I did a lot of things that caused my body to react in an unexpected way. Because I was too conscious of my weight and body, I began to skip meals and avoid eating proper nutritious foods. Other than that, I have bad habits like smoking and drinking. I started noticing the changes in my hair when I saw a mass of hair tangled along my hairbrush. I was literally shocked, because it was the first time that I've experienced that kind of hair loss.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Ok, made it through month 2. So far so good. Here are some new pics, I don't see much change. The only thing is I seem to lose less hair when styling my hair. Also there is less shed (I don't see much hair on my desk or on the pillow). Went through a brief period of shed, but nothing like when on minoxidil at first.
Anyways, here are the pics:

Attachments

• Foto 48.jpg
    Foto 48.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 831
  • Foto 47.jpg
    Foto 47.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 825
  • Foto 511.jpg
    Foto 511.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 749
  • Foto 61.jpg
    Foto 61.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 843
  • Foto 15.jpg
    Foto 15.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 841

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Baseline again:

Attachments

• IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    794.7 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 451

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Nothing major to report. I was on minoxidil for two years and just added the finasteride two months ago (1/2 mg). I was kind of lazy with the minoxidil, I applied it once a day but less than 1ml. I think it still probably kept my follicles alive, at least I hope. I upped the dose to the normal 1ml at night.

I've been noticing some change at my hairline. I didn't start this because of my hairline. It is still quite ok for my age. Anyways I noticed some black hairs further down the hairline, where I doubt that I have had some. Also there is peach fuzz in the corners. Don't know if that has been there.

I was thinking of maybe using minoxidil foam in the morning to get the best results possible, and when I succeed go back to once a day. What do you think? Any comments?

Unfortunately my body doesn't handle more than half a tablet of finasteride, as I experience sides. Not the usual ones but diarrhea. My body still hasn't returned to normal in terms of digestion which sucks. And I definitely seem to handle the original Propecia better than Finpecia. I notice they are working on me, as I truly notice a change in my body when I take it. I also suffer from dry eyes occasionally. Not the usual sides, but they still suck...

MPBfighter

Reaction score

i am thinking about starting the same type of treatment as you, although the status of my hair is far worse and i am only 23 :( your hair is looking great keep it up!

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank you, this is encouraging. I think you should go for it. Better start early while you have something to thicken up. I will keep updating this. I hope this will turn into a success...

I have now definitely found new hair in my temples. Its growing lower than ever and getting darker. very small hair and not too much of it. But this is encouraging.

The abdominal problems are giving me a hard time though...it's not very bad but still quite unpleasant.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Spam?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

This is interesting and I appreciate your help. It's just that it sounded a bit suspicious (ie a salesman of that company). Also I don't know what your hair looked like before.

I'm always interested in something that works - just like anybody else here. You should start a thread and show your progress?!

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Noticed my itch is almost completely gone. Before Propecia I always attributed that to minoxidil and thought it was something I have to live with. Maybe it was male pattern baldness itch after all.

Still lose quite a bit of hair when I style it. Less when washing and almost none on the pillow. don't know what to make of it. Probably too early to tell.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

I notice lots of fine hair in my temples. Some of them already got darker. Is this due to the minoxidil I use more of now? If all of that gets dark and terminal hair my temples would be almost completely restored...
Anybody knows if this will/can be the case? Is it possible to turn all of that into new and real hair?

Don't know about the crown though. Still lose hair and I don't think it looks any better. I just hope what goes on in the temples also goes on on top!

Still cannot handle more than 0.5 mg of finasteride. Everything more gives me bad stomach conditions. Sucks. I'm scared that I'm not doing enough but don't want to add anything else yet.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

It's been 2 1/2 months now.

I'm seeing development on my temples, there is fuzzy hair growing. Some of it is getting darker I think.

But damn it I'm still losing so much hair when styling or washing it. Is that normal? Can I see new hair develop and at the same time lose a lot? I don't know about regrowth on the vertex, can't really check that. But I'm losing it from there a lot. This is scary.

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score

WTF? All in one and a half month? If it's true, you're a hell of a responder.