Much better results using minoxidil with azelaic acid

chrb

Reaction score
A week or so ago I switched from Regaine foam to a minoxidil formula that also contains 5% azelaic acid and retinol. I have to say that I'm getting really good results using this formula and I put a big part of it down to the azelaic acid. I know some people don't believe in azelaic acid but I can say that it definitely works for me. Prior to getting this formula I would use an azelaic acid cream and notice that when I washed it off my hair would feel much thicker. However using a cream regularly is just totally impractical so I stopped.

Now that I'm applying this new formula I notice that my hair feels thicker and I'm experiencing excellent regrowth. I don't know whether the azelaic acid blocks DHT or stops inflammation but whatever it does it's allowing the minoxidil to actually do its job. Honestly I've been using Regaine foam for about 5 months prior to this and I don't think it really did anything. I think the fact that I'm using a dropper rather than the foam also helps. Foam is very convenient but I doubt it allows for the same level of absorption as liquid.

Anyway just want to put this up here in case anyone is wondering about azelaic acid and whether it works or not.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
My next order of Minoxidil may switch from Kirkland's generic to Lipogaine. DHT should be battled at every front.

TheHandsomeLurker

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly I've been using Regaine foam for about 5 months prior to this and I don't think it really did anything. I think the fact that I'm using a dropper rather than the foam also helps. Foam is very convenient but I doubt it allows for the same level of absorption as liquid.

1. It often takes half a year to see results from minoxidil just because the hair follicles it acts on take time to produce cosmetically visible hair.

2. Minoxidil in foam typically lacks propylene glycol, which can be irritating, but also is less effective for scalp penetration. That said, I've seen studies which note that there is not a statistically significant difference between minoxidil in foam or liquid form.

I've seen no study regarding the effects of azelaic acid on androgenic alopecia, so I'll take my usual stance and assume it's not an effective treatment until a rigorous, controlled study suggests otherwise.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My next order of Minoxidil may switch from Kirkland's generic to Lipogaine. DHT should be battled at every front.

Same with what Dalton said. Perfect Image changed 15% minoxidil + 5% AA product to a new one named Perfect Hair with 5% minoxidil + 5% AA. I am currently using this in conjunction with Lipogaine. There are bunch of minoxidil with AA on ebay, but I am not sure if they can be trusted. They also sell AA powder on ebay, but their quality + making your own solution are questionable as well.

BadLabTech

Reaction score
From my experience, the AA is definitely helpful. I used 5% minoxidil for over a year with little result. I found Perfect Image Solutions 15% minoxidil + 5% AA and it changed everything. By month three I noticed significant results and ordered another 3 month supply. After that, PIS was gone. Devastating. It has taken me over a year of expensive trial and error to formulate my own solution (15%Mx-5%AA, plus others). I realize everything we report here is anecdotal, but the stronger formula has me completely convinced.

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
When you speak of 15% minoxidil with AA, was it a cream? From what I've read 7.5% (some people sell "8%") minoxidil is the highest concentration you can make use of in a liquid minoxidil solution. I'm currently weighing up my options between 5% Rogaine foam (current minoxidil), 8% liquid with possibly MPG or AA, or a 12.5% cream with AA. The last 2 options come at a large increase in price and I'm not convinced in a cream being more effective just because it has a higher percentage, especially if it makes it difficult to apply other topicals later on (like spironolactone).

Does any1 have any comments about these options, or perhaps know of a cost effective 5% minoxidil foam with azelaic acid? I tried liquid minoxidil in the past and it was much harder on the skin compared to foam...

I was looking at DualGen-5 with no propylene glycol at minoxidilmax 5% minoxidil, 5% AA. Not mad keen on ordering stuff from amateurish looking websites though :Z Searching the various forums brings up a bunch of discussion since 2012 about whether the site is up or down and whether they are just "back up" to sell off their remaining inventory only etc.

BadLabTech

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The formulas that I am now making (and also the solution once sold by Perfect Image) are at 15% Mx & 5% AA. They are liquid solutions applied with a dropper. Not a cream or gel. I have no experience with the Dualgen stuff. I've checked out Lipogaine, it seems decent...[/FONT]

ohmanohno

Established Member
Reaction score
The formulas that I am now making (and also the solution once sold by Perfect Image) are at 15% Mx & 5% AA. They are liquid solutions applied with a dropper. Not a cream or gel. I have no experience with the Dualgen stuff. I've checked out Lipogaine, it seems decent...

I've been through two bottles of the 5% with results...hair is thicker and is coming back. Figures they just got shut down by the FDA. Screwed now. Would appreciate it if someone can send me a link, public or private so I can buy more.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
Where can you get minoxidil powder?

koffyn

Reaction score
Does Dualgen still have azelaic acid in formula? I thought the manufacturer of Dualgen and Lipogain is same, so both products are withot AA now

Emiliano

Reaction score
Hi guys, i want to ask you about minoxidil 12, 5+AA Belgravia centre because i am desperate. I was using it for four years every night plus 1mg propecia and nizoral every 3-4 days. I didnt noticed any difference. I hear that high % of minoxidil maybe worst than using 5% twice per day. Im thinking to switch to rogaine foam 5%. Twice per day. What you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys, i want to ask you about minoxidil 12, 5+AA Belgravia centre because i am desperate. I was using it for four years every night plus 1mg propecia and nizoral every 3-4 days. I didnt noticed any difference. I hear that high % of minoxidil maybe worst than using 5% twice per day. Im thinking to switch to rogaine foam 5%. Twice per day. What you think?

scooter123

Reaction score
Hey BadLabTech. Can you please help me . Idk if you can PM on this thing or what but I am really interested in how you make your formula.
I would also like to skip the incredible and expensive trial and error ppl go through with this. :coffee: