MSM - now in the big 4

regain

Reaction score
Up to now minoxidl, Propecia (spironolactone for those who are risk averse) and nizarol have all been considered as a must for people with hairloss or thinning hair. MSM has up to now been ignored by most, but it seems to do wonders for the hair. Everyone who takes the product have attributed positive comments and, I have personally been taking it for a month now, and my hair has significantly thickened up in the last week or so and seems to have grown longer quicker in that time than is normally the case. Now you may say it is a coincidence, but I don't think it is because my vellous hairs along the hairline have suddenly started getting longer and pigmenting (they were there for months without really darkening). It may be a coincidence as I have also now been on minoxidl and nizarol for 7 months, but it is more likely that msm is helping speed up the process of regrowth and thickening of minoxidil. I would advise anyone with hair loss to get on msm and take at least 2000mg a day.

badsha

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Sounds like minx since it takes 6-8 months to start working. BTW what is MSM, ive been reading a lot and havent heard of it.

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been hearing about it, but don't know what it is. can you buy it at a vitamin store?

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought it at Rite Aid, 60, 1000mg tabs. Cost, I think $15.00. I take 1 a day. It also makes my hair grow like crazy, no joke!

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
i trim my chest and leg hairs, because if i don't they grow crazy long. do you think it has an effect on all hair? also, does it cause hair to go through cycles more quickly?

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
No joke about MSM making your hair grow faster. Theres no doubt about that. I'm still not sure if it helps regrow hair though. My chest and leg hair has not grown faster. Its been the same length for my entire life.

Snipes

Reaction score
I've also noticed it has enhanced the texture of my hair and also makes my fingernails grow like crazy

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
linkage to buy plz.

:D

The Dude

Reaction score
Methylsulfanomethane as I recall. Beware if you have a lot of mercury fillings in your teeth. I remember hearing somewhere about MSM leaching mercury from you fillings into your body (very bad). Do some research on that if you have fillings.

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
It grows the hair faster and improves texture and I think it helps speed up results from hair loss treatments i.e. minoxidl, spironolactone, etc. It's pretty expensive though. You can buy the stuff from all good vitamin stores and perhaps from good pharmacies. I made the mistake of buying 120 (750mg) tablets for £13 (approx. $20) from Holland & Barrett, I then found they were selling it for half price in their online store. I am going to be ordering two bottles whilst the discount price still remains. People should look to buy from a reliable online store because they are available much cheaper, even when P&P is included.

hairnow

Reaction score
Zimmy,

I've been taking 900 mg of MSM a day for about 3 months. I quickly got high-speed fingernail growth, but I don't think much has happened with my hair yet.

How much MSM are you taking/day? Do you see it as more of a hairloss preventitive or does it improve hair condition?

Thanks,

hairnow

G

hairnow said:
Zimmy,

I've been taking 900 mg of MSM a day for about 3 months. I quickly got high-speed fingernail growth, but I don't think much has happened with my hair yet.

How much MSM are you taking/day? Do you see it as more of a hairloss preventitive or does it improve hair condition?

Thanks,

hairnow

You might need to take more MSM, some people need more than others to see an effect. Without MSM my hair texture and condition is quite lousy and also it grows very, very slowly. I dont think it has any effect on hairloss itself and ive never noticed it has, but it can really improve your existing hair appearance which counts for a lot IMO.

Ive taken MSM dosages from 2 grams to 10 grams daily, the high dose as an experiment and my hair texture was amazing during that time, however its costly that ammount. I would say 2 or 3 grams is a good starting point.

6 grams is my favourite dosage, split am and pm, but even that is pretty expensive.

gt1229

Reaction score
Does it matter what brand MSM? My dad got a bottle from Sams Club. I think it's member's mark brand.. :hairy:

G

Whatch out ladies there are two sorts of MSM out there..

One type is a petrochemical by-product

One type is an organic compound from trees

Both are avaliable in health food shops, but I would strongly recommend getting the Organic sort, I think it is called lingisul (probably spelt wrong) Lingisul is not a brand name but the name of a large suppliers process and you will often see a little 'Lingisul' logo on the good stuff.

The organic ligisul type is more bio-avaliable, that is, your body more readily takes it up and utillises it better.

If you want to take big doses like Zimmy, go and buy a big jar of MSM powder it's a little cheaper than the tablets, you mix a spoon or two into some water stir and drink, it dissolves almost instantly and tastes like dog piss (I sh*t you not, it's BAD and not in a michael jackson way)

I haven't had any in a while, but this thread has reminded me that I should get up off my bum and get some.

Ty

A

Administrator

MSM is a hair supplement. It shouldn't be considered a hair loss treatment. It can be likened to the Laser Comb in that it has reports of making hair healthier and helping it grow faster or longer. It won't do anything to stop male pattern baldness however, so technically it can't be considered part of the Big 3.

Admin

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Admin said:
MSM is a hair supplement. It shouldn't be considered a hair loss treatment. It can be likened to the Laser Comb in that it has reports of making hair healthier and helping it grow faster or longer. It won't do anything to stop male pattern baldness however, so technically it can't be considered part of the Big 3.

Admin

I agree that it won't grow hair on its own, but neither will Nizoral yet thats considered part of the big 3. :oops:

IMO I'd say MSM is of much more benefit than Nizoral and I'd take it anyday of the week over Nizoral.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
The Dude said:
Methylsulfanomethane as I recall. Beware if you have a lot of mercury fillings in your teeth. I remember hearing somewhere about MSM leaching mercury from you fillings into your body (very bad). Do some research on that if you have fillings.
Thanks for that good advice .