male pattern baldness research: Black tea reduces DHT 72%, Propecia 70%

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since we have known about black tea / this study. I imagine a few people would have supplemented in the long term and reported results by now?

You would assume some would have given it was a Harvard study even though it was conducted in vitro, wouldn't you?

- - - Updated - - -

So who here got their DHT levels checked before and after to prove this method ?

Good idea for those who may now just be looking into it. Go to the doctor and ask him to run a blood test measuring DHT- or what would be the best method?

Kalio

Reaction score
I am a bit confused though. According to the study, drinking green tea alone will rise your DHT-levels thus accelerating hair loss, but when you add a certain element it actually lowers DHT and decreases hair loss? I've been drinking green tea without this supplement for years, should I be fearing rising DHT-levels now? Sounds a bit far fetched.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused though. According to the study, drinking green tea alone will rise your DHT-levels thus accelerating hair loss, but when you add a certain element it actually lowers DHT and decreases hair loss? I've been drinking green tea without this supplement for years, should I be fearing rising DHT-levels now? Sounds a bit far fetched.

I think it's black tea in high amounts or black tea extract...

c_super2

Established Member
Reaction score
is anyone confident enough to drop propecia and drink black tea instead? At least save some money.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
i live in england where black tea the main beverage. i have been drinking upto 5 large mugs (2 tea bags per cup) of black tea for more than 10 years now. The study is interesting, but i read somewhere that it is the theavflavins that lower the dht, i read an article about black tea theavflavins being blocked by adding milk, of course in england we add milk to our tea so maybe it has no affect on hairloss this way? Also i read that DHT is responsible for sex drive, surely if black tea did lower DHT by 72% everyone in england would have low libidos/impotance etc just like with propecia?

Maybe this along with the amount is the difference. Maybe theoflavin extract would be easier to get the equivalent to 70 cups with.

resu

Reaction score
I drink pure black tea without milk or sugar, one cup a day and it does nothing hair wise, still got the itch, still losing it. Extracts are different from drinking tea and you would get the same sides as finasteride as previously posted.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I drink pure black tea without milk or sugar, one cup a day and it does nothing hair wise, still got the itch, still losing it. Extracts are different from drinking tea and you would get the same sides as finasteride as previously posted.

difference is that you're putting a chemical in your body, not a naturally occurring substance...

Helios

Reaction score
Benjit posted a while back a graph what does what. In that graph black tea leads to prostate cancer, if you drink more than six cups a day:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/784/qnl.png

After searching the internet i've read multiple articles, one contradicting the other....it enhances the change of cancer--->it reduces the chance of cancer.
Maybe benjit can clarify this one.

I for one know that to much anti-oxidants is also bad for your body, anti-oxidants become oxidants if there is to much of them. So drinking a whole day of black doesn't look to healthy if you ask me.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Benjit posted a while back a graph what does what. In that graph black tea leads to prostate cancer, if you drink more than six cups a day:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/784/qnl.png

After searching the internet i've read multiple articles, one contradicting the other....it enhances the change of cancer--->it reduces the chance of cancer.
Maybe benjit can clarify this one.

I for one know that to much anti-oxidants is also bad for your body, anti-oxidants become oxidants if there is to much of them. So drinking a whole day of black doesn't look to healthy if you ask me.

Dumb question but what about a black tea topical?

Dermaroll then rub in some black tea?

dunno just throwing it out there. Perhaps the properties of black tea dont make it through the blood stream as strongly as something like finasteride which is designed to release timely.

Helios

Reaction score
Dumb question but what about a black tea topical?

Dermaroll then rub in some black tea?

dunno just throwing it out there. Perhaps the properties of black tea dont make it through the blood stream as strongly as something like finasteride which is designed to release timely.

No idea m8.
The concentration would be far less, so in that regard it should be ok.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Its hard to find supplements for this, and importantly we need proof that black tea really does lower DHT like finasteride which feels like it would then cause sides similar to finasteride anyways if it helped with hair. Anything is possible, but we need more proof then a small study showing black tea might mimic finasteride because your better off just using propecia then.
I also question lots of supplements whether the absorption of a powder in a capsule is the same as say a gel cap with liquid in it or a prescription drug. Absorption and time of release is important if it does anything at all

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
If anyone decides to experiment with black tea in conjunction with DR as a topical, it has a ph level between 5-6 compared to lemon juice which is about 2+. Best Wishes.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The problem with all those dietary components is that they only influence serum DHT, and it is unclear whether serum DHT actually plays a significant role in Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness, or only the DHT which is locally produced in the scalp.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Being British, black tea is a favorite over here. I've been drinking it for years on most days and I still am losing hair so I doubt there is anything to this tbh.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
Being British, black tea is a favorite over here. I've been drinking it for years on most days and I still am losing hair so I doubt there is anything to this tbh.

I believe this has been brought up before- you would have to be taking it in higher doses (think a few theoflavin capsules which contain 3x the amount of theoflavin contained in a single cup of black tea) to produce anything significant.

I would think that a few theoflavin capsules, a cup of black tea and saw palmetto plus topical spironolactone would do a pretty good overall job of winning this battle.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Is this saying all theoflavins lower DHT like this or does it have to be from black tea like a black tea extract? Doesnt green tea also have theoflavins so whats the difference between if they are from black or green tea?

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree that this probably won't be very effective. I did try various teas when I was into trying to reduce DHT, had lots of cups of tea every day and there was no change at all, unfortunately. Just had to go to the loo a lot more often. I have pretty much given up on herbal remedies and things of this nature, I don't believe they are particularly effective, if effective at all. But give it a go, we're all different. Maybe you'll be lucky.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I agree that I have my doubts any natural supplements can replace finasteride, but I would be curious to see blood tests in humans drinking black tea and theoflavin supplements to see if it does anything at all. I thought green tea has theoflavins and that some studies said it raises DHT by a large amount. I dont get that what is specific to black tea that would lower DHT while green tea supposedly raises it?
I would also say black tea tastes terrible in comparison to green tea. Both are good for you though so I dont see the harm in drinking it regardless except for how bad it tastes

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
Drinking 70 cups of black tea a day probably wouldn't be the way to go, I agree.

However, taking a few pills which contain the equivalent to 3 cups of black tea getting around the 10 cups per day stage making a 20% difference may be a piece. Say Saw Palmetto helps with another 20%, and topical spironolactone plays another 30% role and you're at 70%.

I remember PrincessRambo was also taking ECGc pills which contain the green tea theoflavins. There's another piece right there.