male pattern baldness research: Black tea reduces DHT 72%, Propecia 70%

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
They also say no human could drink enough black tea to have any real effect.

They say that because it works out to be around 100 cups of black tea for the avg adult male.

Taken from HLH

ckdude said:
Ok I looked at the study to see how these doses extrapolate to humans:

"For animal studies, the tea infusions (15 g tea leaves/L water) were freshly prepared every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and were used as the sole source of drinking fluid for tea-treated mice throughout the study."

They don't specify how large the mice were or how much they drank. I used to study lab mice and a typical adult is 25-30g and drinks ~6ml per day.

15g/1000ml * 6ml = 0.09g per day (90mg/day)

Adjusted for bodyweight:

90mg/30g = 3 mg/g = 3 g/kg

Average human adult male = 70kg

Equivalent human dose:
3g*70kg = 210g = 0.21kg/day

A typical teabag is 2g so that's ~100 cups of tea.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The life extensions supplement for black tea extract costs a lot. Does anyone know any quality sites that sell black tea extract supplements that are any cheaper?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
The life extensions supplement for black tea extract costs a lot. Does anyone know any quality sites that sell black tea extract supplements that are any cheaper?

http://www.teaflavin.com/index.html

I found this also..Nothing that I can find in bulk or cheap :(

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, they may not be cheap, but that's subjective...they usually have the most reliable suplements, and in this case, i don't see many alternatives..either way, if this really bring us the aditional benefits to our male pattern baldness problem, besides the ones that are related to general health...i don't consider that as beeing expensive..IMHO

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
This seems interesting. I read somewhere on a different forum about this guy that quit propecia and started on a combo of saw palmetto, tofu, and green tea extract. Three years into the combo, he didn´t notice the difference from propecia.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
"Each capsule used in the study contained 75 milligrams of theaflavins, a quantity of theaflavins that is equivalent to the amount of theaflavins present in as much as 35 cups of green tea or seven cups of black tea."

http://www.naturalnews.com/009147.html

The Life Extension one has 87.5 Milligrams of theaflavins per pill (350MG)...

Did anyone follow through with this?

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
There are supplement extracts which supposedly can provide proper theaflavin dosages... but has anyone used them / had success? This is pretty old now, never heard anything beyond the guys who drank black tea and maybe "thought" it was doing something... when in reality they needed to drink 100+ cups.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
There are supplement extracts which supposedly can provide proper theaflavin dosages... but has anyone used them / had success? This is pretty old now, never heard anything beyond the guys who drank black tea and maybe "thought" it was doing something... when in reality they needed to drink 100+ cups.

Or take one capsule with the equivalent to 100 cups...or 2 capsules to account for absorption...

K

karankaran

I take 4 capsules of black tea daily , one from LEF and 3 from other company , total 200+mg theaflavins...i have been using for 2 months now...
hair loss has reduced significantly but i take other supplements too like soy isoflavones ... But to say, I had any regrowth - I do not know...I will use this for another 6 months...or 8 months... and then a total of 9-12 months will be a suitable period to judge this... I have had started a thread about my experimental treatment... and i just updated it after 1.5 months...
i will keep updating my progress over another 6-8 months (Till August 2014)...FOR ME , success is when any1 can see a good improvement... like no scalp visible or very faintly visible... and density is significantly increased to be noticeable...till now, I do not see that...

Sparky4444

Reaction score
the thing I don't understand is why the HELL do you have to do a study like this on mice??? It's freakin tea! What is the risk with humans?? nil, IMHO, compared to dosing up on finasteride...

I don't get it with all this testing on mice...some of this stuff should just be short circuited to human testing

- - - Updated - - -

I take 4 capsules of black tea daily , one from LEF and 3 from other company , total 200+mg theaflavins...i have been using for 2 months now...
hair loss has reduced significantly but i take other supplements too like soy isoflavones ... But to say, I had any regrowth - I do not know...I will use this for another 6 months...or 8 months... and then a total of 9-12 months will be a suitable period to judge this... I have had started a thread about my experimental treatment... and i just updated it after 1.5 months...
i will keep updating my progress over another 6-8 months (Till August 2014)...FOR ME , success is when any1 can see a good improvement... like no scalp visible or very faintly visible... and density is significantly increased to be noticeable...till now, I do not see that...

How the hell can you tolerate using Nix 5x/week??? Holy crap my scalp would be dried out like hell....I'm thinking this is probably the biggest thing that is helping you

- - - Updated - - -

based on this http://examine.com/supplements/Theaflavins/ , you may need upwards of 700mg to really start getting somewhere

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
topcial black tea would be more interesting than oral. I think orally it has not much effects

K

karankaran

the thing I don't understand is why the HELL do you have to do a study like this on mice??? It's freakin tea! What is the risk with humans?? nil, IMHO, compared to dosing up on finasteride...

I don't get it with all this testing on mice...some of this stuff should just be short circuited to human testing

- - - Updated - - -

How the hell can you tolerate using Nix 5x/week??? Holy crap my scalp would be dried out like hell....I'm thinking this is probably the biggest thing that is helping you

- - - Updated - - -

based on this http://examine.com/supplements/Theaflavins/ , you may need upwards of 700mg to really start getting somewhere

Ok, I take swansons - 3 and LEF - 1 , which is only around 210 mg of theflavins and it already costs me a good 25$ every month , so if i "actually" need 700 mg, i will skip this and go to propecia... What I read was that according to the propecia study, a human equivalent dose we need 200 mg theaflavins in capsules , i read in some forum and hence i decided to try it...

My scalp is doing Ok.. Yes, I also think dat nizoral could be the biggest thing that is helping me... but now , i feel that if i modify my supplements regimen (even the black tea), what if i start losing hair at the previous rate...i take other stuff like soy isoflavones, L taurine, etc (as seen in my signature)... It has been 1.5 months now , so lets see what happens in future... I feel iffy about black tea and wonder if it is really doing something... coz of absorption and other stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

ALL THOSE who are in the thread, can U guys tell me if i need a higher black tea dosage? i take one capsule from LEF and 3 from swansons every day (this amounts to 207.5 mg theflavins).. Isnt this enough?

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
So who here got their DHT levels checked before and after to prove this method ?

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since we have known about black tea / this study. I imagine a few people would have supplemented in the long term and reported results by now?