minoxidil

Trilidon

Established Member
Reaction score
On average how long is it effective?

I have heard of it not working anymore after a year or 2. Any ideas?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Good question.

I had a very long discussion about this with a coworker of mine who has been on minoxidil 10+ years. He looks great, by the way. He says that indeed, after 2-3 years the regrowth stopped... but, he maintained what he had and continues to keep it.

Think about it, considering the hair life cycle, keeping the hair I have plus 2-3 years of regrowth is not a bad proposition if you can manage to keep minoxidil in your daily routine? He swears by the stuff, now has a full head of hair albeit a high forehead but says that 10 years ago he had the SAME hairline, and it was thinnning rapidly into the ol' horeshoe pattern! Seeing his relatively full head of hair at age 47, no vertex holes at all, inspired me to go for the minoxidil. Just my opinion.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Trilidon said:
On average how long is it effective?
I have heard of it not working anymore after a year or 2. Any ideas?

I think there's a big misconception about what minoxidil actually does. My current thinking is that it continues to "work" as long as you take it...it's just that what it actually DOES is provide an offset of growth above what you would normally have at any given point. It probably doesn't interfere with the basic balding process in any way, so people who are genetically programmed to go bald will still slowly go bald, they'll just have that extra offset of growth!

Bryan

Stingray

Reaction score
Sounds COMPLETELY logical to me.

You're my hero bryan.