Minoxidil with Tea Tree oil and Diclofenac - 2013 study on PubMed.

Chipman222

Reaction score
This may have been posted before, and I've just realised I've posted it in the wrong section. Anyone think this would be a good adjunct to dermarolling?

Preparation and evaluation of a multimodal minoxidil microemulsion versus minoxidil alone in the treatment of androgenic alopecia of mixed etiology: a pilot study.

Sakr FM, Gado AM, Mohammed HR, Adam AN.

Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The variable success of topical minoxidil in the treatment of androgenic alopecia has led to the hypothesis that other pathways could mediate this form of hair loss, including infection and/or microinflammation of the hair follicles. In this study, we prepared a multimodal microemulsion comprising minoxidil (a dihydrotestosterone antagonist), diclofenac (a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent), and tea tree oil (an anti-infective agent). We investigated the stability and physicochemical properties of this formulation, and its therapeutic efficacy compared with a formulation containingminoxidil alone in the treatment of androgenic alopecia.

METHODS:

We developed a multimodal oil/water (o/w) microemulsion, a formulation containing minoxidil alone, and another containing vehicle. A three-phase diagram was constructed to obtain the optimal concentrations of the selected oil, surfactant, and cosurfactant. Thirty-two men aged 18-30 years were randomized to apply 1 mL of microemulsion containing the multimodal formulation (formulation A, n = 11), minoxidil alone (formulation B, n = 11) or placebo (formulation C, n = 10) twice daily to the affected area for 32 weeks. Efficacy was evaluated by mean hair count, thickness, and weight on the targeted area of the scalp. Global photographs were taken, changes in the area of scalp coverage were assessed by patients and external investigators, and the benefits and safety of the study medications were evaluated. The physical stability of formula A was examined after a shelf storage period of 24 months.

RESULTS:

Formulation A achieved a significantly superior response than formulations B and C in terms of mean hair count (P < 0.001), mean hair weight (P < 0.001), and mean hair thickness (P < 0.05). A patient self-assessment questionnaire demonstrated that the multimodal minoxidilformulation significantly (P < 0.001) slowed hair loss, increased hair growth, and improved appearance, and showed no appreciable side effects, such as itching and/or inflammation of the scalp compared with the minoxidil alone and placebo formulations. These improvements were in agreement with the photographic assessments made by the investigators. Formula A was shown to be an o/w formulation with consistent pH, viscosity, specific gravity, and homogeneity, and was physically stable after 24 months of normal storage.

CONCLUSION:

A multimodal microemulsion comprising minoxidil, diclofenac, and tea tree oil was significantly superior to minoxidil alone and placebo in terms of stability, safety, and efficacy, and achieved an earlier response in the treatment of androgenic alopecia compared with minoxidilalone in this 32-week pilot study.

KEYWORDS:

androgenic alopecia, diclofenac, microemulsion, minoxidil, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents, tea tree oil

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
So diclofenac is voltaren?? I think this would be ok to use 2-3 days after rolling, so you don't lose the benefits of wound healing properties. I am about to finish the study in 2 weeks so will be rolling monthly, this might be a good addition during my no roll periods for the inflamation

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
So diclofenac is voltaren?? I think this would be ok to use 2-3 days after rolling, so you don't lose the benefits of wound healing properties. I am about to finish the study in 2 weeks so will be rolling monthly, this might be a good addition during my no roll periods for the inflamation

Chronic micro-inflammation is the core of the balding process. Using a bigger derma roller like 1.5mm with some anti inflammatory would be awesome, yes you will get some in your blood but you will attacking the problem a la source.

Using a good trandermal cream with a good anti-inflammatory agent will also hammer the problem straight up. They work in every layers of the skins.

http://jarpharmaceutical.com/?page_id=481

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
any more updates on this ?

The improvement of 30% response rate of just minoxidil to 70% of minoxidil, diclofenac and tea tree oil is huger improvement ?

all of these are commonly cheap available and no system sides ? So if we combined this with dermarolling this should be the simplest best regime today ?

i think multi mode is where we could see great improvements and not just keep trying to find a silver bullet in 1 drug.

multi mode also goes to show it works on a lot more people.. as the cause for male pattern baldness could be slightly different for a lot of people.. hence why multi mode works better.

Has anyone tried or copied this protocol ? and even better added dermaroling ?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
While it may be enticing to try another protocol, their approach is a far reach outside the treatment of AA at its root cause. That is, the follicle's sensitivity to dht or the loss of factors, pathways supporting follicle maintenance. Their approach is based on follicle inhibition due to inflammation or infection.
As they state:
"... hypothesis that other pathways could mediate this form of hair loss, including infection and/or microinflammation of the hair follicles..."
I think most victims of male pattern baldness don't have microinflammation or infections of the scalp. Even in the cases they treated I don't think they did a histology eval from a scalp biopsy to verify inflammatory signs.

But, what the heck, the materials are cheap and readily available, not as deadly as some are using on these forums anyway, so go for it. Report back.