Minoxidil sensitive

Swede

Reaction score
Anyone tried this product? What do you guys think of this minoxidil, is it effective? Any irritation?
I have tried both 5% and 2% minoxidil and it irritates my scalp way to much.

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
Works but you need a DHT inhibitor like Propecia. Get some nizoral shampoo for that minoxidil itch. Damn that minoxidil itch anyway.

Swede

Reaction score
Thanks. How do you know that it works?

I am on propecia and nizoral. Nizoral helps but doesnt get rid of the itch and redness on the scalp, in fact in makes my scalp very dry.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My scalp tolerated minoxidil badly for the first two weeks I was on it. My face became very dry and kind of scaly. I cut back slightly on my applications and gradually increased them to the stated 2 ml per day, and the symptoms disappeared. Your symptoms could well be similar - just because you suffer an adverse reaction doesn't mean you body won't be able to cope better in time.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Swede: To answer your question, I've also read that the bad symptoms from using minoxidil. can go away in time. Also, alot of guys use emu oil to calm the irritation from minoxidil.

It's fascinating to me how different alot of us react to different medications.

I can pour an entire bottle of minoxidil. on my head and feel nothing.

Yet, for 4-5 months after starting Retin-A treatments, I PEELED so much I'd bet anyone they couldn't peel more than me. It would simply be impossible. I had no irritation but my peeling was absolutely LEGENDARY! (My scalp health must have been about a negative guzillion on a scale of one to ten for Godsakes.)

I've read some posts from guys who never peeled when using Retin-A. And these were guys who used it everyday with their minoxidil. applications. I only used it about 3 times a week. To me, hearing guys say they didn't have any peeling is absolutely mind-boggling.

It's just amazing how different we all can be.

Just a little more info. on my Retin-A experience. When combing my hair after shampooing Retin-A out, I would fill up the comb a good 4-5 times with dead skin. I would also massage my scalp with my finger tips and the sink would have a VERY visible layer of dead skin I'd have to wash down the drain. Dead skin was EVERYWHERE. I've got to hold the record for Retin-A peeling?

Then, about a week or so ago, the peeling just stopped?! BOOM - just like that - GONE. WTF!! :hairy:

Swede

Reaction score
Thanks. Very intressting. I am thinking of dropping nizoral or at least cutting back from it. It is so drying for me. That way I maybe can start with minoxidil again.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Swede said:
Thanks. Very intressting. I am thinking of dropping nizoral or at least cutting back from it. It is so drying for me. That way I maybe can start with minoxidil again.

To see if oils will help your scalp, do you have some olive oil in your home? Let that stuff soak on your scalp for a couple of hours every now and then. If it helps, which it might, you KNOW emu oil would also. And emu oil is touted to penetrate much better than olive oil.

You might want to heat the olive oil a little in the microwave (just a little) to warm it up before applying. Give that a try first before giving up on Nizoral.

Then, if it helps, move up to emu oil.