minoxidil on the hairline

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well, I just added 2% minoxidil (dammit, i meant to buy 5%) just to use on the hairline and right in front on the temples where there is no hair. So far, finasteride at 6 months has added a good bit of vellus and a few terminals all along the temples, but I thought Id speed it up a bit.

I shouldnt worry about a "minoxidil shed" since im only applying it where there is not much hair to speak of. Dont have to worry about the greasy hair or anything either. This is also sort of a test just to see what it will do and if it would be feasible to start applying all over.

Hopefully I should know something in 3 months. Ill see if it works by comparing the growth to the rate of the rest of my hair. Good idea, eh?

Friendofyou

Reaction score
good idea, and 2% are not wrong either...but why 50 mg Zinc ? That wont help you i fear...

Zinc as an ambivalent but potent modulator of murine hair growth in vivo- preliminary observations.

Plonka PM, Handjiski B, Popik M, Michalczyk D, Paus R.

Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland.

Oral zinc (Zn(2+)) is often employed for treating hair loss, even in the absence of zinc deficiency, although its mechanisms of action and efficacy are still obscure. In the current study, we explored the in vivo effects of oral zinc using the C57BL/6 mouse model for hair research. Specifically, we investigated whether continuous administration of high-dose ZnSO(4) x 7H(2)O (20 mg/ml) in drinking water affects hair follicle (HF) cycling, whether it retards or inhibits chemotherapy-induced alopecia (CIA) and whether it modulates the subsequent hair re-growth pattern. Here, we show that high doses of oral zinc significantly inhibit hair growth by retardation of anagen development. However, oral zinc also significantly retards and prolongs spontaneous, apoptosis-driven HF regression (catagen). Oral zinc can also retard, but not prevent, the onset of CIA in mice. Interestingly, Zn(2+) treatment of cyclophosphamide-damaged HFs also significantly accelerates the re-growth of normally pigmented hair shafts, which reflects a promotion of HF recovery. However, if given for a more extended time period, zinc actually retards hair re-growth. Thus, high-dose oral zinc is a powerful, yet ambivalent hair growth modulator in mice, whose ultimate effects on the HF greatly depend on the timing and duration of zinc administration. The current study also encourages one to explore whether oral zinc can mitigate chemotherapy-induced hair loss in humans and/or can stimulate hair re-growth.

SE-freak

Reaction score
It is a good idea indeed.

But the area you are hitting with the minoxidil is the most difficult for regrowth- you will never know what it would do for your vertex.

That said, keep us posted on your progress.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
It is a good idea indeed.

But the area you are hitting with the minoxidil is the most difficult for regrowth- you will never know what it would do for your vertex.

That said, keep us posted on your progress.

yep, i realize its harder to grow hair in this area, but if finasteride alone has added alot of vellus and some terminals, then its fertile ground for regrowth. The minoxidil is added just on the hairline and the terminals right there at the edge. I should be able to tell whether or not I will shed or thicken right there on that very edge.

Only thing is, im not sure if im using a correct amount. I am basically applying a single coating in the area, not using the full i ML amount. Its a smaller area, so im guessing its the right amount.

In other news, I complained about a little thinning and a 2 or 3 week shed. The hair had lightened up a bit and looked dryer and deader. 3 days ago my hair bounced right back and is darker and thicker than its ever been. Not my imagination..

jeffsss

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
I shouldnt worry about a "minoxidil shed" since im only applying it where there is not much hair to speak of. Dont have to worry about the greasy hair or anything either. This is also sort of a test just to see what it will do and if it would be feasible to start applying all over.

maybe.. maybe not...

your skin will absorb minoxidil no matter where you put it on your head.. soo.. if your only putting it on bald spots.. it WILL affect a larger section of your head..

i've heard of people getting random hairs straight out of their forehead!!! obviously they didnt apply it to the middle of their forehead.

SE-freak

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
wangho75 said:

maybe.. maybe not...

your skin will absorb minoxidil no matter where you put it on your head.. soo.. if your only putting it on bald spots.. it WILL affect a larger section of your head..

i've heard of people getting random hairs straight out of their forehead!!! obviously they didnt apply it to the middle of their forehead.

Jeff is right. It could potentially affect an area larger that the that of the application. I am also experiencing unwanted growth- that completely describes why 5% is only for men.

skeevy

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
In other news, I complained about a little thinning and a 2 or 3 week shed. The hair had lightened up a bit and looked dryer and deader. 3 days ago my hair bounced right back and is darker and thicker than its ever been. Not my imagination..

What do you mean that your hair bounced right back 3 days ago? U saw a cosmetic affect of thickening of the hair on ur head right now, and that wasn't the same look before that?

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
skeevy said:
wangho75 said:

What do you mean that your hair bounced right back 3 days ago? U saw a cosmetic affect of thickening of the hair on ur head right now, and that wasn't the same look before that?

yep, my hair just changes all of a sudden

misterium

Reaction score
I take 50mg zinc daily also.

I don't know why.

I use pyrithione zinc (H&S) shampoo on my head also. .. works nicely to sooth the itch (which is basically gone now).