minoxidil irritation

Pdogg93

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just started 5% minoxidil twice a day for about a week. I decided to take a break from revivogen and probably try some proscar instead... Anyhow, I have my head shaved so at some point in my college day I notice that the 30%of the top of my scalp was like peeling. Not just flaking, but I could pull a piece of dead skin off my scalp. I didn't feel any itchyness or irritation, but i can't go out without a hat now. Is this normal for the first little while? Or is there something I can put to sooth this? thanks guys.

by the way, how do I post pics?

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i got the same situation as you in the beginning but intense itch. use it for a few more weeks and see how thing goes.
adding proscar in your treatment is a good idea. it work better together with minoxidil.

try using Tsal shampoo which will help you get rid of the peeling skin. also, you can use Nizoral 2% which should help you too.

to post pictures, you can upload it to website like http://www.photobucket.com and then post the img link.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
might help. i read a number of people are having a lot less side effect of waiting it out. 3-4weeks later if it still don't help, maybe minoxidil is not for you. but i got a feeling that it will be fine. have faith :)

or you can try using lesser dosage like 0.5ml and slowly increase the amount over time. this method help me a lot.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Wait it out.

What you describe is a common short-term side effect when one starts Minoxidil, that usually goes away with time (as your scalp becomes accustomed to having alcohol and PPG dripped on it every day), and regular Nizoral or T/Gel usage.