Minoxidil in pill form??

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible to take minoxidil orally, im just so sick of applying it twice a day making my hair look even worse etc, taking pills is so much easier why don't they bring it out as a oral drug?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible to take minoxidil orally, im just so sick of applying it twice a day making my hair look even worse etc, taking pills is so much easier why don't they bring it out as a oral drug?

Yes, you can take Minoxidil orally to treat hair loss. The brand name for oral Minoxidil is called 'Loniten', and it's used to treat high blood pressure. Go see a doctor and talk to them about taking oral Minoxidil if they're willing to prescribe it as an off-label treatment for hair loss if you're that serious about it.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
just apply it once a day before bed so you can still style your hair during the day

MoHairMoBetta

Established Member
Reaction score
I only apply it at night. Also, if you take minoxidil orally won't you grow hair everywhere, not just on your head?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I only apply it at night. Also, if you take minoxidil orally won't you grow hair everywhere, not just on your head?

Yes, if you take Minoxidil orally, you will very likely grow hair on other parts of your body rather than just on your head. That's a reason why there's Minoxidil in foam and liquid forms so you can use it topically to apply it to the areas of hair loss to help localize the treatment rather than treating it systemically by taking it orally.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil in oral form is not an option, because of side effects, it is bad for the heart.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, if you take Minoxidil orally, you will very likely grow hair on other parts of your body rather than just on your head. That's a reason why there's Minoxidil in foam and liquid forms so you can use it topically to apply it to the areas of hair loss to help localize the treatment rather than treating it systemically by taking it orally.

That does appeal to me though I find it frustrating that I can't grow a thick beard usually people with male pattern baldness can grow thick beards but mine looks terrible , a bald head without facial hair is a definate no no if your a white man id look like a cancer patient , maybe I'll start using rogaine on my face as well does that work ? Haha

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
That does appeal to me though I find it frustrating that I can't grow a thick beard usually people with male pattern baldness can grow thick beards but mine looks terrible , a bald head without facial hair is a definate no no if your a white man id look like a cancer patient , maybe I'll start using rogaine on my face as well does that work ? Haha

Minoxidil will make hair grow anywhere you apply it on the skin as long as hair follicles are present, including facial hair. Minoxidil prolongs the anagen phase, making more hair follicles in active growth. Science doesn't have an exact explanation to how and why Minoxidil works, but it does help to make hair grow thicker, longer, stronger, darker, and also helps to keep hair from falling out so easily.

But yes, I've noticed that a lot of men with male pattern baldness can grow full beards, especially than I'm one of them. I don't have super thick facial hair, but I do have quite enough to grow a full beard, and it's still getting thicker. And also since I have male pattern baldness, when I apply the Minoxidil, I have a large area to cover on the top of my scalp since I have thinning in a NW6 pattern.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking to use oral minoxidil(loniten) too. The same reasons:-too much hassle, i need to wash hair everyday, otherwise it looks bad with minoxidil bulid-up,and maybe oral form is more efficient.
I've serached the net on other hair-loss forums, it seems that 90% of guys who did it had good results, better than topical, and no major side-effects.
Anyway Loniten lowers blood pressure, and i already have a quite high pressure(almost at the limit between normal and high), so it shouldn't be a major problem.

And i'm thinking, for start, to alternate: use topical 1 day, and oral the next day and so on.

I'm using topical minoxidil for...almost 6 years, in the front it didn't do much, but i feel it keeps the crown ok, basically in 6 years the crown has maintained perfectly.
In the beggining i was content with it helping, wasn't bothered by applying daily, but now after this times it's getting annoying.
A pill should be much more convenient.
Never mind that the absorption of topical minoxidil could be not that great.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking to use oral minoxidil(loniten) too. The same reasons:-too much hassle, i need to wash hair everyday, otherwise it looks bad with minoxidil bulid-up,and maybe oral form is more efficient.
I've serached the net on other hair-loss forums, it seems that 90% of guys who did it had good results, better than topical, and no major side-effects.
Anyway Loniten lowers blood pressure, and i already have a quite high pressure(almost at the limit between normal and high), so it shouldn't be a major problem.

And i'm thinking, for start, to alternate: use topical 1 day, and oral the next day and so on.

I'm using topical minoxidil for...almost 6 years, in the front it didn't do much, but i feel it keeps the crown ok, basically in 6 years the crown has maintained perfectly.
In the beggining i was content with it helping, wasn't bothered by applying daily, but now after this times it's getting annoying.
A pill should be much more convenient.
Never mind that the absorption of topical minoxidil could be not that great.

Yeah Topical minoxidil hasnt been great for me either. It could be because i am inconsistant with applying it everyday, sometimes i go days without applying

Where can I buy Loniten in the UK?

resu

Reaction score
You have to apply it at least once a day, you can go one day but constantly going many days will null the results.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sure you can take it in pill form. But enjoy your blood pressure/ cardiac issues, and hair growing all over your body including face and forehead.

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh Good topic , I also think about that , I think its easier to get the result from pill , But do you guys had any research that is more effective than topical ? If so I think side effects would worth to handle , Since its more easier and more regrowth ! why not?!!

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Oh Good topic , I also think about that , I think its easier to get the result from pill , But do you guys had any research that is more effective than topical ? If so I think side effects would worth to handle , Since its more easier and more regrowth ! why not?!!

Its apparently a lot more dangerous due to fluid/salt retention and cardiac problems. You have to take a diuretic and a beta blocker alongside it to prevent side effects. It is tempting though as it is a lot more effective than topical minoxidil. I do question 5% topical minoxidil effiency for frontal/temple baldness

Norwood2.5

Established Member
Reaction score
I know minoxidil comes with low pressure, but aren't the alleged POTENTIAL cardiac effects due to a study on dogs which also included the effect of theobromine in the same study? Dogs are not representative for humans, if you give a dog a lot of chocolate (containing theobromine) it will die, if you give it to a child, it will ask for more. Both minoxidil and theobromine had an effect on the heart valves of dogs if I remember correctly.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, as i was saying here in jan 2015 i was thinking to try oral minoxidil=loniten.
So i began taking 5 mg loniten per day in february 2015. I also take a small dose of spironolactone with it.
No there are more than 1.5 years on it and i must say it is working much better than topical minoxidil in maintaining, and i think there's even regrowth.
Side effects=none. I of course check my heart and my blood regularly, until now heart is perfectly fine. Before i had slightly high blood pressure, now it has dropped a little, and it is out of the "high blood pressure interval". So i can say it even helped me more than for my hair.
I think loniten is a very good treatment and much more effective than topical minoxidil, and it saves you from the hasse of applying topicals.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im usix minoxidil over 1 year and i didnt mantain any hairs besides on head.

shirubax

My Regimen
Reaction score
So i recently signed up at a clinic in Tokyo, and they put me on a treatment course of shampoo and pills. Included is Zagaro, Minoxidil, and supplements including Zink. The shampoo just says "special proprietary formula", so I am pretty sure that the minoxidil is in one of the pills - though the doctor did say that by far the most effective part is the Zagaro, and the minoxidil just added a small extra boost. They did ask if I had high blood pressure (no).

FERNANDO MAJER

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its apparently a lot more dangerous due to fluid/salt retention and cardiac problems. You have to take a diuretic and a beta blocker alongside it to prevent side effects. It is tempting though as it is a lot more effective than topical minoxidil. I do question 5% topical minoxidil effiency for frontal/temple baldness

I'm trying to understand why would I need to take beta blockers when those are actually used for high blood pressure. Minoxidil is a vasedilator drug which lowers blood pressure