minoxidil & finasteride @ 2mo=RESULTS-just stopped finasteride, start again?

AQ

Reaction score
Rogaine 5% & Propecia for only 2 months = RESULTS, but stopped Propecia, now start back up?

I started taking Propecia and Rogaine Extra Strength 5% at the same time. Had a good amount of shedding within the first week or two. Within 2 months, I had tons of hair growing on the hairline, and sides and temples have lengthened quite a bit. I have used this ONLY on my frontal hairline.

I stopped Propecia for 3 or so weeks, with only slight side effects, and now I don't know whether I need to get back on it.

On the one hand, I think the Rogaine has created most, if not all the progress, and this is mainly because I only took the Propecia for 2 months, and don't see how it could have much, if any effect in that short a time. Also, the Rogaine has been growing hair on other parts of my body (which isn't so great...), so it seems my body is responding quickly and fully to Minoxidil.

Now I'm sitting here thinking that maybe I should take my chances with just Rogaine. Part of this impulse is from the stories that Finasteride stops working after a few years. I have also heard of people responding super well to Rogaine (as I am doing) and the results being permanent, even after stopping.

Here's the timetable:

Started Rogaine 5% and Propecia at the same time, used 60 pills of Propecia then stopped for a month (not a choice, had no control over it). Continued Rogaine over the next 3 or so weeks, just got Propecia again a week or so ago and have taken about 4 pills, and the shedding is already increasing, though not as bad (so far) as when I first started.

So there are 2 scenarios:

1) Let the Propecia go and continue with the Rogaine. If progress doesn't continue as it did in the first 2 months, start up on Propecia again, otherwise let it go permanently.

2) In conjunction with Rogaine, start back up on the Propecia now and play it out fully, so if it stops working in a few years it stops, and I continue Rogaine.

Thoughts? Ideas? I really don't want to become more dependent on Propecia then have it stop working in a few years. Also, I am becoming more optimistic that Rogaine will have permanent effects in light of the many stories I have heard about it being permanent after people have stopped.

I'm open to anything anyone has to say.

p.s. are there any studies comparing rogaine only to propecia only to both together?

If there any topical DHT blockers known to work as well as Propecia, can you move from Propecia to topical and back without any problems?

fatman

Reaction score
the beauty of rogaine and propecia is that you can try to drop propecia and just use rogaine. if you notice more hairloss, just start back up on propecia and not much will have been lost. Just experiment with it yourself, everybody is different. Also, propecia is not as effective down the road is mainly because of yr follicles are more prone to DHT, and not because propecia is not doing its job anymore. So if you think to just stop propecia, so that it will be more effective in the future for you, its not something to expect.