minoxidil: Camping Trip Edition

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm going on a camping trip down in Kentucky with a few buddies next week. Should be a good time.

Quick question-- has anyone used minoxidil twice a day, for a good four or five days without a shower? A friend of mine who is also using it said that his scalp gets slightly irritated and itchy if he goes a few days without showering, so I'm a little worried about that.

Anyone?

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Jump in a river or lake or something. Yeah the stuff irritates your scalp if you leave it in. I have been lazy and substituting hot tub for shower. If I dunk my head there is no real problem. If not I get an extra flaky mess.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
wastingpenguins said:
Okay, so I'm going on a camping trip down in Kentucky with a few buddies next week. Should be a good time.

Quick question-- has anyone used minoxidil twice a day, for a good four or five days without a shower? A friend of mine who is also using it said that his scalp gets slightly irritated and itchy if he goes a few days without showering, so I'm a little worried about that.

Anyone?

I go camping maybe 6 -7 weekends every year. I always bring a few gallon jugs of fresh water w/ me and take a "Camper's shower", i.e. ...

pour the gallon jug of water slowly over my head,
have a wash cloth ready,
use about 1/10th the amt of shampoo I usually do and shampoo my hair,
use my shampooey hands to wash my face and pits,
and then rinse again w/ the water jug.

Very refreshing and takes about 1/2 of a gal jug of water.

- another alternative is just to take a break from minoxidil while camping. won't kill you - and your scalp might even enjoy the break.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Don't know how long you have been on the minoxidil but if you have been on it for over a year i would take this opportunity to take a break from it.

I went to a music festival last month for 5 days and did not wash or minoxidil during that time...yeah my hair was greasy as f*** afterwards but my scalp felt great when i eventually got home and had a shower. No damage whatsoever...

Plus it's been stated by respected hair Docs that taking time off from minoxidil is a positive thing.

Also it takes over 3 months for your hair to shed due to a lack of minoxidil.

Have fun and don't worry about it :D

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Red Nek said:
My brother Earl and me live in a trailer in the kentucky mountains. ...
Red

Do you have another brother named Earl also? (I.E. "this is my brother Earl, and this is my other brother Earl?")

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it really true that a few days off minoxidil has no shedding effect? A couple of months ago I went on a road trip for 6 days. I brought my minoxidil and finasteride but due to circumstances I was only to apply the minoxidil 2 or 3 times. Maybe I imagined it but I thought my hair thinned a bit by the 6th day.

I am only asking because I am thinking of going to a 3 night music festival this summer and it would be impossible to apply my regimen there, especially when I am trying to do it without anyone knowing.