minoxidil @ 4 years.... Young dude, good results

thebravery

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker here for a long time. I thought I'd share my thoughts on what I've done to fight this battle. Anyway, since I've not been active here, I'll give a little background info. my father's bald, probably an nw5. He started losing it in high school. A few months before i started my freshman year of high school, one of my buddies commented that "you look like you're going bald." I rue that day. Ever since then, that thought has been in my mind, especially considering that my dad started losing hair early. Anyway, I went a few years just dealing with it, getting the occasional comment here and there, no big deal. Looking back at pictures, I've always had a somewhat recessed hairline, sort of a U shape. So, throughout high school i had the bedhead look, but shaved it down to a 2 or 3 about 4 years ago. Having not seen myself with a shaved head for that long, i freaked out. My temples looked pretty bad, so i decided to do something about it. I got on minoxidil 5% and have used it since then. For the first month or so, I tried doing it 2x per day, but realized how inconveniencing that was. since then I've been applying it 1x per day, at night. My results so far have been pretty good. Basically, I've kept as much hair as i started with, and have gained a bit on the hairline. I know how much it sucks to be young and dealing with this, so i thought i would share my experience. I'll try to get some photos up so I can show you guys what i'm talking about.

Also, as a sidebar, I'll share a bit of a conversation i had with my grandpa. So, around the holidays, I had my hair longer than usual, maybe 4 to 5 inches. My grandpa says: "you know, your hair looks alot like mine did when i was your age. I had the recessed temples and got a lot of comments about it. Some guy on my football team (with thick hair), who all the girls loved, told me that i'd be bald in 5 years. Well, I saw him a few years after we graduated, and he was slick bald." My grandpa, at 87, is probably an nw2 with thick gray locks.

Hopefully this curse really is passed down from your grandparents....at least for me!

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
your story is very similar to mine. i remember when i was fourteen my buddy commented on my hairline. i think i have a naturally high hairline, but i sstarted to lose a bit of hair at 16 and started rogaine at 18, but unlike you i never was consistent even with just once a day application. ive been thinking about starting it up again, but i didnt like some of the reactions. anyways, its good to here that youve got your situation under control. good luck in the future. we'll be taken care of with the HM!!!

thebravery

Reaction score
oh, and from my experience, keeping your hair buzzed helps immensely when using minoxidil. i kept it buzzed for the 3 to 4 years that i've used it, and i think it helps with results, since it can be applied directly to the scalp. When i grew my hair out longer, i got a bit lazy and didn't always apply it properly which resulted in a bit of a shed. keep up the fight!!