DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair Cloning as 'Silver Bullet'
For Baldness May Take Awhile

By ELLEN SHENG
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
May 4, 2005; Page D5

Walter Unger, a doctor who has performed about 29,000 hair transplants, remembers the time he had to tell one patient that further procedures wouldn't make his hair look thicker.

The patient offered him $100,000 to start research on hair cloning, a process through which hair cells are multiplied, then injected into the head to form new follicles.

The patient had just come out of a hair-transplant procedure and was woozy from painkillers, so Dr. Unger told him, "why don't you tell me that tomorrow after you've had enough time to think about it." The patient returned the next day with a check.

Today, Dr. Unger and researchers at the University of Toronto hold a patent on a hair-cloning procedure. During their five years of research, however, they managed to clone hairs on just four out of 23 people. One of the test subjects had a "nice tuft" of hair, but the other three sprouted hair that was too short, thin or scraggly. The cloning didn't work on the rest of the subjects.

It's likely to be years before someone as bald as actor Bruce Willis will be able to walk into a doctor's office, donate a few hairs for multiplying, return for scalp injections 10 days later and end up with a full head of hair in a matter of months.

Bosley Medical, the single largest provider of hair transplants in the U.S., has been pursuing a solution since 2002. The company, owned by Japanese wig manufacturer Aderans Co., employs 18 researchers. Bosley Chief Executive John Ohanesian thinks his company could get a cloning process to market as soon as 2008.

Initial treatments would likely cost between $8,000 and $12,000 and be offered in addition to a hair transplant, Mr. Ohanesian said. But eventually, as techniques for multiplying hair cells improve, patients could avoid the scalpel altogether and just get injections "like Botox," he said, referring to the Allergan Inc. drug injected to remove skin wrinkles.

Hereditary hair loss affects 80 million men and women in the U.S., according to the American Academy of Dermatology, and Americans spend millions of dollars every year trying to fight it. Merck & Co.'s Propecia, the only FDA-approved prescription drug for hair loss, had global sales of $270 million in 2004. Americans spent $59 million on over-the-counter remedies in 2004, according to MarketResearch.com. Spending on hair pieces and transplants has increased.

Hair cloning "would be the silver bullet" for baldness, said Tony Mangubat, a Seattle-based plastic surgeon and president of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.

Hereditary hair loss stems from sensitivity to the hormone dihydrotestosterone, or DHT. Hair follicles shrink to microscopic size and eventually fail to grow healthy new hairs. Drugs such as Propecia and Pfizer Inc.'s Rogaine work by blocking DHT or the effects of the hormone.

Hair transplants work by shifting hairs from the back of the head to other areas to cover bald spots. Those hairs are genetically different and resistant to the effects of DHT. But a hair transplant usually leaves a patient with a head of thin hair.

Hair cloning takes it a step further by taking some of those genetically resistant hairs from the back of the head and multiplying them. Researchers break down the hairs to different cells, then reproduce the cells in petri dishes. The cells are injected back into the scalp and form hair follicles. Patients would likely need hundreds of tiny injections -- one for each new follicle. Bosley researchers are also looking into a gel or serum that could be applied topically, without injections.

Researchers have grown hair on mice, but getting hair to grow on humans has been a challenge. Dr. Unger, 66, stopped pursuing hair-cloning research two years ago, but Bosley is hard at work and there are other efforts. Intercytex Ltd., a British health-care company, has been doing research in the field and has an agreement with Bosley. Also, Coen Gho of the Gho Clinic in the Netherlands holds a patent on a hair-cloning procedure.

Write to Ellen Sheng at ellen.sheng@dowjones.com

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a reply for this but I wanted to post the article by itself since it's fairly long.

Things to notice in this article:

1. Bosley Chief Executive John Ohanesian thinks his company could get a cloning process to market as soon as 2008.

That's three years folks.

2. This woman barely mentions Intercytex, who we know is at the top of the field. She denotes one line to them as "they are working on it too". Way to throw research out there.

3. Don't be misled by the tone in the article. She's saying its "awhile off" and by saying it, she's insinuating 3 years. For someone not afflicted with this, that seems like a decent amount of time. But for those of us who have been hearing 10 years, 20 years, 3 years is nothing to wait.

4. Finally, there is an actual price quote from a company. 8,000 - 12,000 dollars for hair multiplication. That's a walk in the park as to what they could charge for it. Frankly, it could be 30,000 dollars and I'd pay it.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
my heart about sank when i saw the title "could be awhile" luckily, my fears were replaced with hope :) thanks darkly.. been doing some research myself on the whole topic, i'm wondering though. ARe you gonna get it as soon as it comes out, or wait until they perfect it some?

actually i like your idea of getting a hair transplant as soon as HM comes out so you have that security blanket. How do you feel about the whole possibility of skin cancer? that worries me some, as I do know some things about skin cancer and hair follicles are a prime site due to the constant replication that goes on there. guess I'll wait for the FDAs opinion of it all.

2young

Reaction score
But that price was $8000-$12000, plus a hair transplant. That means it is more like $25000. I guess they were talking about a procedure like Walshenik talked about in one of his interviews; FUE for the hairline, and HM for added density.

Is anybody else worried that Bosley is probably the only place this is going to be available? From what I've read online, they don't do top notch work at all.

Lopfraze

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, but its important to remember that it doesn't matter how much hair you have, if the technique works then they can cover all your head in hair.

if the 'product' comes on the market in 2008, and even if they spend a few years perfecting it, its still all good.

and my favourite bit:

"Bosley researchers are also looking into a gel or serum that could be applied topically, without injections."

a topical you use ONCE in your life to give you a full head of hair the next morning. thats the dream...

2young

Reaction score
That (the gel/serum) would be unbelievable. It's probably still science fiction right now though. I can't see how they could reliably deliver DP cells without injecting them.

Unless things REALLY go down hill between now and then, I will probably wait until HM has been out for 2-3 years before I think about doing it. I want to know what happens 5 years or so down the line, after the new hairs have gone through a complete anagen phase at least once. I'm also hoping somebody will offer a decent procedure that doesn't involve a hair transplant/HM combo. The reason I want HM is to avoid the cutting and the associated scarring from a traditional hair transplant.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I bet you the HM clinics will be back up for months and months from people rushing out to be the first to get HM. Unless they open up a lot more facilities where this procedure could be done.

...maybe not though

thechampishere

Reaction score
we should buy the stocks of these companies when they are about to be realeasing hte procedure.....thats the smartest thing we can do...and make them pay for our hm, if you get my idea

michael barry

Reaction score
Guys,
My only point is this::::::::::::

Wait. Do not run out and get a hair transplant counting on cloning becoming a reality. We never know what trouble they might run into (dissatisfactory appearance, hair falls out after one anagen cylcle, never get direction right, CANCEROUS cell growth).

I have been waiting for this since 97' when I heard about Dolly, the cloned sheep. However, Bosley used to have bad business practices and have led a lot of men along and hurt them badly in the past. The could concievably be leading the public (and a scientifically illiterate) journalist on as long as possible because they are having problems in research.

BELIEVE ME, I want cloning uber bad for myself and will pay for it at 10K. However, we cant count on it until its here. As much as I'd love that gel cream to give me my old hairline back. Have a great eve guys....

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
we should buy the stocks of these companies when they are about to be realeasing hte procedure.....thats the smartest thing we can do...and make them pay for our hm, if you get my idea

That's a really good idea. We should gather the info on them and keep track of stock prices.