maxxy's (long) story

maxxy

Reaction score
Hey guys was checking out this website and I kinda need the support :) So here I am.

Basically, I have no idea if I'm balding or not, because if I am - then it's going real slow.

I'll start the story.

a) I've been having a very hard case of sebhorrieac (sp?) dermatitis since Im 13 years old - the "T" zone on the face, and scalp - including lots of nice scabs on the scalp as well. Anyway I tried a million and one things (including Nizoral shampoo which didnt help much, most of the things i put on were oily creams that were supposed to give moisture) and even though it has deminished quite nicely over the years, there is still lots of dandruff from the scalp, itching and so forth - due to sebhorrea.

b) Another issue is that when I started army duty (yes, I had compulsary duty) then for the first two years I dropped from ~110kg to around 85kg. The big drop was in the first 3 months when I dropped around 20kg. All due to not eating and very very bad nutrition. My teeth even broke easily (when I accidently bit a fork). This lack of nutrition continued for 2 years until I got a grip.

c) I'm a very, very, very (!!!) stressed out guy. Also "contributes" to my acute sebhorrea.

Anyway, I never really paid any attention to my hair because everyone from every side of my family has a full head of thick thick hair. I am the only blonde though. It seems that my hair started thinning around 4-5 years ago (currently 23 years old, started army at 18) and has pretty much stayed the same more or less. My hair is mildly thin on the crown (hair covers it, but you can see scalp, especially under lights) and slightly thinned everywhere else. I do have lots and lots of blonde hairs that are there but pretty invisible (on the crown that is) in everyday light.

Anyway, I've been using all sorts of vitamins since I was 20 (unknowningly of the hair problem, took them due to sebhorrea) - stuff like Vitamin B Complex, Fish Oil and Zinc. Currently using Zinc, Multi Vitamin and another vitamin capsule that contains all kinds of hair-growth stuff like zinc, msm, iron, vitamin b6, aminos and so forth. Been taking it for about 9 months and haven't seen any improvement, but havent seen anything get any worse (I think).

After deciding that it's either treatment or going to a shrink (self esteem...) I decided it would be cheaper to try out minoxidil. I'm currently using minoxidil 5% and putting it twice a day at 2ml a day (per instructions on the bottle). After using it for 2 weeks now I've started to get red rashes on the top of my forehead where the minoxidil is spread. More so, the minoxidil makes the hair on my head have a "wet look" so I can see my scalp more, which doesnt help self esteem as well.
Oh and btw, my temples are pretty normal. I have a big head :) Probably a norwood 1point-something.

Anyway, I have a few questions for you wise people:
a) what to do about the minoxidil rash?
b) I dont have lots of money to spend on these things.. can I use minoxidil only once per day? How long do i have to wait until i see normal results? (based on personal experience).
c) What about using propecia+minoxidil? Im afraid of the non-erection thing and perhaps causing birth defects for my sperm? Or do I have nothing to worry about? Should I freeze sperm before?
d) Considering propecia costs an arm and a leg, can I buy a month worth of it and cut the capsules into smaller pieces? I saw something like 0.2mg so I guess I could cut them into quarters so they would be around 0.25mg? Will save up alot on this.
e) Could this all be due to my sebhorrea and I really have NOTHING to worry about? Im serious, no one in my family has any sign of balding (perhaps a bit of thinning, though) but I am the only with this skin condition? Dermatologists suck... they just say "you're balding take propecia/minoxidil and go away".
f) What about stress? When Im stressed out the sebhorrea breaks out and I do notice more shedding of hairs. Like an on-off period of shedding due to stress outbreaks. Currently unemployed and living at home (waiting for University) so I'm pretty relaxed.. when I was in the army/work I used to shed alot more hair (alot more itching as well).

PLEASE HELP!!!

Sorry for the long scroll.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
maxxy said:
Anyway, I have a few questions for you wise people:
a) what to do about the minoxidil rash?
I've had some success using Nizoral 2x a week, and T/Gel shampoo on other days. I still have a lot of crap on my scalp, but I find that if I don't scratch at it, it doesn't flake off.
maxxy said:
b) I dont have lots of money to spend on these things.. can I use minoxidil only once per day?
No. For best results, you've gotta use the stuff 2x a day. If money's a concern, then you can either switch to generic minoxidil (cheaper than Rogaine), or, you could try Rogaine direct (from http://www.rogaine.com) I think it was $50 for 4 months, which was much better than the $40 a month I've seen for rogaine at the supermarket.
maxxy said:
c) What about using propecia+minoxidil? Im afraid of the non-erection thing and perhaps causing birth defects for my sperm? Or do I have nothing to worry about? Should I freeze sperm before?
Personally, I haven't noticed ANY side effects with propecia, but I've only been on it a couple of weeks. I wouldn't worry about it, just don't let pregnant women touch/take the stuff. Don't worry about freezing sperm. If there are any side effects, they should go away in a couple weeks if you stop taking propecia.
maxxy said:
d) Considering propecia costs an arm and a leg, can I buy a month worth of it and cut the capsules into smaller pieces? I saw something like 0.2mg so I guess I could cut them into quarters so they would be around 0.25mg? Will save up alot on this.
If costs are a problem, there are 2 possibilities:
a) Take generic finasteride (the active ingredient in Propecia). Finpecia, I think it's called.
b) Buy Proscar (5mg of propecia) and cut it up into 4 or 5 pieces. This will give you generally the same dosage as Propecia, at about 1/4 the cost.
maxxy said:
e) Could this all be due to my sebhorrea and I really have NOTHING to worry about? Im serious, no one in my family has any sign of balding (perhaps a bit of thinning, though) but I am the only with this skin condition? Dermatologists suck... they just say "you're balding take propecia/minoxidil and go away".
It's possible, but who knows. I know that itching/scratching can lead to hair loss (http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=252) so this is definitely a possibility. If that's the case, irritating your scalp with Rogaine might actually be hurting your cause :freaked2:

Anyway, I'd find a new dermitoligist, preferably one who specializes in hair loss issues.
maxxy said:
f) What about stress? When Im stressed out the sebhorrea breaks out and I do notice more shedding of hairs. Like an on-off period of shedding due to stress outbreaks. Currently unemployed and living at home (waiting for University) so I'm pretty relaxed.. when I was in the army/work I used to shed alot more hair (alot more itching as well).
Again, this is possible.
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/al ... luvium.htm
I would consult with a good dermitologist to determine if this is your situation.

Good Luck!