male pattern baldness research article on TGF-beta (for Doctor)

michael barry

Reaction score
Got this in my email. I dont subscribe to these folks, but for whatever reason, once in a while they send me an email research update.............................so here it is:

TGF-BETA, The Hair Follicle Assassin

Aptly termed the “hair follicle assassin†in a recent update by New Health and Longevity, transforming growth factor beta 1, (tgf-b one) and its apparently pivotal role in hair loss has been stimulating a lot of interest in the scientific community of late.

What is tgf-b1???
Tgf-b 1 is part of a cytokine super-family in mammals that contains some 30 members. These dimeric proteins regulate the proliferation and apoptosis (destruction) in many cell types and have a central role in the inflammation that is associated with hair follicle miniaturization, fibrosis (rigidification), and its eventual loss.

Numerous researchers have directly implicated tgf-b1, and its localized effects on the hair follicles as the most significant factor in androgenetic alopecia.

So what can we do to neutralize tgf-b1 before it turns us into Kojak??? Several things actually.

There are already at least 2 hair loss drug treatments under development in the biotech industry that suppress tgf-b1 as their primary mechanism of action.

The problem is you’ll have to wait several years to get them.

Fortunately, there are several natural compounds that do just this, with numerous side benefits as opposed to side effects. Some are commonplace in diets of several cultures, which have a statistically low incidence of male pattern baldness.

Following is an excerpt from New Science which gives a succinct overview on Curcumin, a yellow spice widely used in Indian cuisine.

Besides apples and barley procyanidins, the most promising new agent is a spice found in Indian food and mustard. Polyphenols from yellow curry root (a.k.a. turmeric, curcumin) are yet another "unknown" hair loss treatment.

I doubt anyone else is telling you that mustard is a potential hair growth promoter. It may sound a little crazy, until you look at the science behind it. Because turmeric, the pigment that gives mustard its bright yellow color, is the most effective TGF-ß inhibitor known. Can mustard cure hair loss?

Take a look at these comments from researchers studying turmeric/curcumin and TGF-ß:

2000 "Our results showed that genistein and curcumin... inhibited the TGF-beta 1-induced synthesis of fibronectin." 2002 "Curcumin inhibits the expression of ER downstream genes including... TGF-beta." 2003 "Furthermore, curcumin inhibited the increases in... TGF-beta1 expression..." 2004 "When applied 30 minutes before TGF-beta, curcumin dose dependently and dramatically reduced TGF-beta-induced increases..." 2006 "curcumin significantly decreased mRNA expression of... the fibrogenic cytokine, TGF-beta."

Curcumin has not yet been studied for its effects on TGF-ß directly in the follicle. There are no studies on curcumin and hair loss... yet. But I promised you new science, didn't I? This is way ahead of the curve. And I'll make this prediction now: within three years, you will see a study showing the hair growth promoting effects of curcumin.

Can I see the future? Not usually. But this is actually a pretty easy prediction to make, because:

1) As we've seen, TGF-ß is "the next innovative target in hair loss"

2) These researchers are going to be looking for compounds to inhibit TGF-ß

3) Curcumin is clearly the best-studied and most potent TGF-ß inhibitor

Based on these facts, it's inevitable that curcumin will be put to the hair loss test. It's not crazy. It's science. New science.

I’ll briefly review several of our existing hair loss treatment protocol recommendations which inhibit tgf-b1, which at least in part, explain the positive feedback we consistently get as to its fast acting effects.

L-Taurine

L-Taurine is a dirt cheap free form amino acid, and is widely available anywhere in the U.S. It has been studied and patented (in combination with, catechins, resveratrol, and omega 3 fatty acids) as an oral hair loss treatment in Europe by the French cosmetic giant, L’Oreal. Don’t let the modest cost fool you. Oral L-Taurine is a highly effective way to suppress tgf-b and prevent fibrosis, not only in hair follicles, but body wide. If you are not using L-Taurine in your hair loss treatment protocol, then you are leaving one of the best weapons in the battle against hair loss in your holster. 1-2 grams a day is consistent with the amount covered in their patent.

Green Tea Extract

We have recommended Green Tea Extract for many years and for a number of reasons for helping to prevent and treat hair loss. In addition to its ability to regulate androgen activity, and increase Sex Hormone Binding Globulin, (SHBG, levels of which are inversely correlated with hair loss), it is also a potent tgf-b1 inhibitor.

Ginkgo Biloba Extract

Recommended by nutrition author Gary Null as part of a natural hair loss treatment approach, Ginkgo Biloba Extract has been shown to grow hair in rats when orally administered. Studies have shown it to be an inhibitor of tgf-b1.

Other tgf-b1 inhibitors include proanthocyanindins from cocoa, black tea, grape seeds, barley and apples. Green drinks, including barley powder form the cornerstone of Dr. Null’s health promoting hair loss treatment approach. One company has an apple polyphenol compound for topical application, and some seemingly solid data to back it up.

Topically, our protocol addresses inflammation and tgf-b1 in a simultaneous three pronged approach- copper peptides (one ingredient in Dr. Proctors Advanced Hair Regrowth Formula), Ketoconazole (Nizoral Shampoo), and Emu Oil.

Due to the preponderance of data demonstrating curcumin’s ability to inhibit tgf-b1, it will be integrated in our hair loss treatment protocol at a minimal dose of 900 mg , combined with Bioperine (a component of black pepper) to facilitate absorption. To be effectively assimilated into the bloodstream, curcumin must be combined with small amounts of piperine.

Our answer as to which to use is simple-use them all (they are so easily integrated into your diet) or at least 2-3, combined with at least a gram of L-Taurine. The inflammation that is the primary contributor to hair loss will be neutralized, and denser , faster hair growth, as will better health, athletic performance, and cognitive function, ensue.

Me again, .............................Ive slacked off the curcumin, and my hair doesn't feel as lively as it did a month or two ago. Think Im gonna get back on it. Parting note: barley is in beer. Beer and eggs shampoo is said to be super for hair, coincidence?

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about this tgf-b1 thing.

A quick question: how do you suppose it compares to DHT?

We know suppressing DHT helps slow down hair loss, but how significant a factor is this tgf-b1 in hair loss? And once again, is it a case of some of us producing too much of it, or is it that some of us have a predisposed weakness to it?

"Numerous researchers have directly implicated tgf-b1 and its localized effects on the hair follicles as the most significant factor in androgenetic alopecia. "

Which studies is it that make this assertion?

Okay, that was a few questions...

michael barry

Reaction score
stu,

when your dermal papilla's androgen receptor sites uptake androgens (DHT primarily), they release substances to the rest of the follicle that effect its growth. Some substances are growth factors that increase cellular growth like IGF-1 in the follicle. Some are growth inhibitiors of cellular growth, and slow cell division down, and when their levels get high enough, result in a catagen phase.

We know this because scientists added androgens to hair cells for years to determine where things were going wrong. They found that adding androgens to root sheath, or keratinocyte, or epilitheal cells done nothing alone, but if you put dermal papilla cells in the mixture................all the other cells (root sheath, connective tissue, keratinocyte, epilitheal, etc.) will slow down growth.

Thus they concluded that the dermal papilla in male pattern baldness hairs releases chemicals that regulate hair growth in response to male hormones.

We know some of the following substances are inhibitors released by the dermal papilla in human beings (not rats, some rats and rodents have different inhibitory chemicals that have not been shown to do anything to human hair.........yet).

TGF-beta 1
TGF-beta 2
Protien Kinease C
FGF-5
Thrombospondin
DPPK
IL-1

Substances found to inhibit those above are (suprise!) found in alot of old hair growth remedies like Silica (onions, cucumbers) for IL-1 and grape seed extract for PKC and beer and apple cider perhaps for TGF-beta 1 and 2

Where TGF beta 1 is overexpressed in the body, often there will be an autoimmune response. Docj077 has pointed this out many times. APple proanthocyandins inhibit PKC and TGF beta. The immune response seems to include oxides sent at the follicle and excessive collagen deposited around the follicle in the connective tissue sheath and under the follicle, blocking its downward migration at the beginning of anagen phase to where it can get deep enough to expand wide, and make a big hair. The follicle seems to get boxed in against the root sheath collagen that suddenly gets crosslinked, and microcapillaries cant growth through it enough to reach the follicle like they are supposed to, thus malnourishing the follicle.

IN short, of the known growth inhibitors, TGF-beta might be the most detrimental. If we could suppress its expression in the scalp, along with DHT inhibition, we just might be able to keep hair growing (or thats the current thinking). Doctor has pointed out that finas alone cuts TGF beta expression in the scalp by about 30 percent. Other androgens can bind with the papillas receptors (which there are more of when you take finas) and TGF beta gets secreted by the papilla, eliciting an immune response, but not nearly as acute as it would be if you didn't take finas.

This article is saying that with taurine (inhibits the hardening of collagen and crosslinkage thereof), perhaps tgf beta inbibitors would really be helpful along with finas, and prox-n with baldness.

There is a pic on the applepoly site of a guy who took 1 percent topical apple proanthos for one year, and he had minoxidil-like regrwoth on a pretty damn big bald spot. I personally would think that adding a topical with silica to inibiit IL-1 and another PKC inhibitor with the TGFbeta inhibitor and (if there is such a thing yet) a FGF and thrombospondin inbhibitior would also really be helpful in decreasing these catagen inducers up there with no systemic side effects. Thats the hope anyway.

docj077

Reaction score
Curcumin definitely made my hair look and feel better. Plus, I'm almost certain that it helped me maintain throughout the period that I was taking it.

However, I just can't afford to ingest so much curcumin everyday, so I'll probably just wait until some new drugs that target the molecule arrive on the market.

I'm not so sure about buying herbs anymore. I either developed hyperthyroidism from taking propecia or I developed it from impurities in the herbs I was taking. So, I'm just taking it easy and letting my hair do its own thing.

I can't stay young forever.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that very informative reply Michael!

How do you think Dutasteride compares in its inhibition of TGF beta in the scalp to the 30% of finasteride? I guess there's going to be more even androgens floating around due to the increase in testosterone; but does the benefit of inhibiting the TGF beta outweigh the cost of increasing the presence of other substances - due to upregulation of testosterone? And am I understanding this corrently?

Another thing, after a cursory consultation with google I found the following in a post on another forum:

"Three of the antigens that have been discovered are TGF-beta 1, Protien Kinease C (PKC) and TNF-alpha. These three are negative growth factors. TGF beta 1 helps protect people from cancer in other tissues, but it slows the growth of every kinda cell it touches. Where there is TGF-beta one in other tissues, fibrosis and autoimmune events seem to occur at times."

So would inhibiting TGF-beta 1 bodywide - via L-Taurine - decrease the body's ability to fight cancer?

And is this 'apple proanthos' the same as that apple poly stuff I've been hearing about?

Thanks again!

PS: One more thing, I have seborrheic dermatitis and have been using a topical steroid called betamethasone to help alleviate it (with little success for the moment). I know it can't be used for too long as it can cause thinning of the skin and photosensitivity, but do you think the anti-infammitory properties would be beneficial for hair loss? To quote wikipedia:

"Betamethasone is a moderate-potent glucocorticoid steroid with anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive abilities
"

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This was posted in another forum by someone else.

Phlorotannins in Ecklonia cava extract inhibit matrix metalloproteinase activity

Life Sci. 2006 Sep 5;79(15):1436-43.
Phlorotannins in Ecklonia cava extract inhibit matrix metalloproteinase activity.

* Kim MM, * Ta QV, * Mendis E, * Rajapakse N, * Jung WK, * Byun HG, * Jeon YJ, * Kim SK.

Marine Bioprocess Research Center, Pukyong National University, Busan 608-737, Republic of Korea.

Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibitors have been identified as potential therapeutic candidates for metastasis, arthritis, chronic inflammation and wrinkle formation. For the first time here we report a detailed study on the inhibitory effects of phlorotannins in brown algae, Ecklonia cava (EC) on MMP activities in cultured human cell lines. A novel gelatin digestion assay could visualize complete inhibition of bacterial collagenase-1 activity at 20 microg/ml of EC extract during preliminary screening studies. Sensitive fluorometric assay revealed that EC extract can specifically inhibit both MMP-2 and MMP-9 activities significantly (P < 0.001) at 10 microg/ml. In addition, artificially induced activities of MMP-2 and MMP-9 in human dermal fibroblasts and HT1080 cells were inhibited by EC extract in a more or less similar manner to the positive control doxycycline. Even though the expression levels of MMPs differ from one cell type to the other, gelatin zymography clearly revealed that both MMP expression and activity in cells can be inhibited by EC extract. More interestingly, EC extract did not exert any cytotoxic effect even at 100 microg/ml anticipating its potential use as a safe MMP inhibitor.

Ecklonia Cava is significantly more potent than EGCG (Green Tea Extract).

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pomegranate also helps fight against TGF-B.

Can anyone locate any actual studies on the Mustard Seed?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DOCJ
you said curcumin helped. it also seem to have other good properties. What are the side effects ? Upset stomach ?

[ wonder why guys from india rarely loose hair ]

docj077

Reaction score
waynakyo said:
DOCJ
you said curcumin helped. it also seem to have other good properties. What are the side effects ? Upset stomach ?

Initially, I had some intestinal upset. That lasted about 2 weeks and was limited to some diarrhea. I did not have any nausea and vomiting.

The only other effect that I had was that I initially lost a little weight while on curcumin and if I cut myself I definitely had some difficulty getting the cut to clot.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how much curcumin one should take orally?

They sell curcumin supplements at the vitamin shop, but how much should be taken to possibly help the hair out?

How many mg I mean?

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
youngbaldie said:

They sell curcumin supplements at the vitamin shop, but how much should be taken to possibly help the hair out?

How many mg I mean?

Most of things can be added to our diets - its no big deal?!

Ive been taking Turmeric all my life and im still thinning.

What is needed is a topical that reverses the IMMUNAL response TOPICALLY - something that is better thought out than the stuff currently available.

Regards
Pete

powersam

Reaction score
waynakyo said:
DOCJ

i've met a lot of indian people and baldness seems just as common as it is among caucasians.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
docj077 said:
waynakyo said:
DOCJ

Initially, I had some intestinal upset. That lasted about 2 weeks and was limited to some diarrhea. I did not have any nausea and vomiting.

The only other effect that I had was that I initially lost a little weight while on curcumin and if I cut myself I definitely had some difficulty getting the cut to clot.

docj...how much turmeric per day were you taking?? I take 450mg 2x a day...I never felt any side effects at all? maybe i have an iron kettle..haha

I realize your a med student but its not very expensive...i get 100 450mg pills for like 7 bucks.

docj077

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
docj077 said:
waynakyo said:
DOCJ

docj...how much turmeric per day were you taking?? I take 450mg 2x a day...I never felt any side effects at all? maybe i have an iron kettle..haha

I realize your a med student but its not very expensive...i get 100 450mg pills for like 7 bucks.

Same dose and a similar expense for me. Unfortunately, I woke up one day and had to figure out what was worth spending money on and what was not worth the hassle.

Hair loss takes up too much time and too many mental and monetary resources. It's not worth it. At least, not to me.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
docj077 said:
hair today gone tomorrow said:
docj077 said:
waynakyo said:
DOCJ

Same dose and a similar expense for me. Unfortunately, I woke up one day and had to figure out what was worth spending money on and what was not worth the hassle.

Hair loss takes up too much time and too many mental and monetary resources. It's not worth it. At least, not to me.

I hear ya...maybe im just a little more vain than you are...haha

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Curcumin definitely made my hair look and feel better. Plus, I'm almost certain that it helped me maintain throughout the period that I was taking it.

However, I just can't afford to ingest so much curcumin everyday, so I'll probably just wait until some new drugs that target the molecule arrive on the market.

I'm not so sure about buying herbs anymore. I either developed hyperthyroidism from taking propecia or I developed it from impurities in the herbs I was taking. So, I'm just taking it easy and letting my hair do its own thing.

I can't stay young forever.

Man...just buy some turmeric and put it in various foods! It's extremely cheap if you buy it from an ethnic food store rather than health food supplier.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pete said:
youngbaldie said:

How many mg I mean?

Most of things can be added to our diets - its no big deal?!

Ive been taking Turmeric all my life and im still thinning.

What is needed is a topical that reverses the IMMUNAL response TOPICALLY - something that is better thought out than the stuff currently available.

Regards
Pete

What about Dr. Proctor's Advanced Thinning Treatment? Has anyone here tried that? It's one of the main ingredients in male pattern baldness Research's hair loss treatment protocol. I'm trying to figure out a way to delay my temple/frontal diffusion at the least.

http://www.hairloss-research.org/newprotformen-06.html?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it I would get it. It is scientifically sound and hits Androgenetic Alopecia from a variety of different areas.