[Male 18] - is my crown thinning or is this just a natural hair whorl?

hairer

Reaction score
18 year old male. Have baldness in the family, but my hair has always been very thick. Here is my crown though.

20151206_230757.jpg20151206_230844.jpg20151206_231002.jpg20151206_231058.jpg20151210_125059.jpg20151210_130856.jpg20151210_131145.jpg20151210_131215.jpg

If my crown is thinning then what are my options to stop it?

hairer

Reaction score
Yupp its thinning.
1. Get on Finasteride ASAP.
2. Add minoxidil after 6 months if u are not happy with results.

****, I knew it was thinning :( better to accept the results I guess and do what I can to stop it rather than just live in denial.

1. How do I get on Finasteride? Who do I go to/where do I get it from?
2. Can I have minoxidil while I'm on finasteride?

P.S, I'm in the UK.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Go to a dermatologist and get a prescription for 1 mg Finasteride. Get on it.
Yes you can be on minoxidil while you are on Finasteride. But its a hassle.
Plus you have very minor thinning. I think Finasteride would be more than enough for you.

hairer

Reaction score
Go to a dermatologist and get a prescription for 1 mg Finasteride. Get on it.
Yes you can be on minoxidil while you are on Finasteride. But its a hassle.
Plus you have very minor thinning. I think Finasteride would be more than enough for you.

Just a general dermatologist? Okay. But how does this work? Do I go in and ask for the prescription, or do I tell him that I think my crown is thinning and he will prescribe it based on that?

I might just start with fina, just curious should I add Rogaine? I heard it's good for the crown.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Hahaha sounds like you are new to this.
Yeah just go to him and ask for it. That's what I did. Trust me when I tell you to stick to Finasteride. You will thank me after 6 months.
Rogaine can be added later if u feel.

hairer

Reaction score
Hahaha sounds like you are new to this.
Yeah just go to him and ask for it. That's what I did. Trust me when I tell you to stick to Finasteride. You will thank me after 6 months.
Rogaine can be added later if u feel.

Did it work for you? Does it just regrow hair on the crown or prevent further thinning?

Yeah lol i am new to this.

Reaction score
It says Propercia is the only prescription medicine for hair loss. Nothing about finnerstride?

Edit: That might have been a dumb point. Propercia is finnestride?

Yes, Finasteride is the generic version of Propecia. Also, I would suggest you just get a prescription from a dermatologist and not buy it from a very questionable online pharmacy.

shookwun

Reaction score
That famous X pattern. it literally is the beginning signs of out's to come.

I had one myself before hopping on finasteride.

dhtfighter98

Reaction score
Possibly thinning due to family history

I don't think you're thinning. You just may be prematurely concerned due to your family history. If you're concerned, though, it doesn't hurt to jump on minoxidil / nizoral right now — hold off on Propecia for now, as you're only 18 and may still be growing, and your pattern isn't extensive yet.

hairer

Reaction score
I don't think you're thinning. You just may be prematurely concerned due to your family history. If you're concerned, though, it doesn't hurt to jump on minoxidil / nizoral right now — hold off on Propecia for now, as you're only 18 and may still be growing, and your pattern isn't extensive yet.

I already jumped on Propecia, but I didn't really get a face-to-face evaluation with a GP, I had to fill out the form online but was surprised to see that I was accepted. I only started two days ago though...

I might still be growing but does Finasteride effect height? I'm already 6ft1, and my parents are both short, I don't see myself growing much more. So far I don't seem to have any sides at all, I still have the raging morning boners and all that jazz...

- - - Updated - - -

That famous X pattern. it literally is the beginning signs of out's to come.

I had one myself before hopping on finasteride.

I started finasteride two days ago.

My front hair is also half-way between a Norwood 0 and Norwood 1. My temples look like they are going to recede but they are miniaturized, only really visible if I pull my scalp backwards.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Go and see a dermatologist and find out for sure if it is thinning or not. Taking finasteride especially at a young age is not a decision someone should take lightly...it is a hormone blocking drug. The hormone you are blocking is normal and is supposed to be there. No idiot here can tell you from those pictures whether you are thinning or not. 5 years ago i posted pics of my crown and people told me i would be bald within 5 years...no treatments ever taken and i am slightly worse off but not much. Some people don't notice i have hair loss.

hairer

Reaction score
Go and see a dermatologist and find out for sure if it is thinning or not. Taking finasteride especially at a young age is not a decision someone should take lightly...it is a hormone blocking drug. The hormone you are blocking is normal and is supposed to be there. No idiot here can tell you from those pictures whether you are thinning or not. 5 years ago i posted pics of my crown and people told me i would be bald within 5 years...no treatments ever taken and i am slightly worse off but not much. Some people don't notice i have hair loss.

How can I get referred to one though? It's not easy.

jd_uk

Reaction score
How can I get referred to one though? It's not easy.

A GP may be able to tell you (although they may also not be that great at it)...but if you tell them you are concerned then they could also refer you. If you are able to afford to pay privately then it is possible that you could ask for a referral on the basis you pay if they don't want to refer you on the NHS.

Failing that there are trichologists which wont require referral (just be careful to research that they are trustworthy and not wanting to sell you a product). I would say though - if you have loss, it is very early. You are young so please don't waste your best years obsessing and stressing over something as pointless as hair. Baldness is a natural thing whatever happens and it looks like it probably wont happen to you in a hurry.