lowered libido. but not finasteride's fault (?)

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
ive had some troubling developments in the past couple months. it started when i was getting a little playful with a gal pal. we ended up under the sheets, but i was surprised to see how difficult it was for me to get and maintain an erection. this happened again a month later. then i got to some thinking, and i realized that i havent been as "excitable" as i used to be. my erections just aren't as hard anymore. also, i no longer wake up to a random boner (which i used to find really annoying, especially when i want to take a piss after waking up).

of course, i went to thinking about the propecia. but here's the thing: i've been taking it regularly (or mostly regularly) for 2 and a half years and i've never had a problem. so even if it was the propecia, why would it start to happen now? it doesn't make sense. i added some saw palmetto to my regiment a few months back, but i think it's hardly potent enough to cause impotence.

one of my theories is that the minoxidil might be the culprit (though this is a VERY half-baked theory, and i don't really trust in my own word). i got a routine check-up and the doctor said my blood pressure was kinda low. i thought, isn't minoxidil used to lower blood pressure? and maybe the topical stuff has entered my body systematically? and don't you need good circulation for a good erection (since blood has to flow down to your groin)?

anyway. these are just a lot of conjectures. anyone have an idea as to whats happening?

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
jonsie150 said:
[...]

one of my theories is that the minoxidil might be the culprit (though this is a VERY half-baked theory, and i don't really trust in my own word). i got a routine check-up and the doctor said my blood pressure was kinda low. i thought, isn't minoxidil used to lower blood pressure? and maybe the topical stuff has entered my body systematically? and don't you need good circulation for a good erection (since blood has to flow down to your groin)?

[...]

Don't worry, josie.

Nobody's infallible and it is perfectly normal to fail every now and then. Anxiety, stress and depression can have a negative impact on a man's sex life. But that doesn't mean you're sick or impotent. Try to relax and I'm sure things will improve with time. If, however, the situation persists for more than three months, go see a urologist.

I'm not a doctor but I doubt that minoxidil can have sexual side effects. It is a topical treatment and, as far as I know, it doesn't affect hormone levels. In fact, minoxidil was once tested for the treatment of ED because it is a vasodilator and can improve blood circulation!

As for your low blood pressure, well, I'm not a doctor but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's quite the opposite: HIGH blood pressure is one of the main causes of ED. And there's a new ED drug called VIGAMED (oral phentolamine) that also lowers BP. v****, if I'm not mistaken, has the same side effect.

Again, if you have any questions, consult a urologist.

tony had

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
ive had some troubling developments in the past couple months. it started when i was getting a little playful with a gal pal. we ended up under the sheets, but i was surprised to see how difficult it was for me to get and maintain an erection. this happened again a month later. then i got to some thinking, and i realized that i havent been as "excitable" as i used to be. my erections just aren't as hard anymore. also, i no longer wake up to a random boner (which i used to find really annoying, especially when i want to take a piss after waking up).

of course, i went to thinking about the propecia. but here's the thing: i've been taking it regularly (or mostly regularly) for 2 and a half years and i've never had a problem. so even if it was the propecia, why would it start to happen now? it doesn't make sense. i added some saw palmetto to my regiment a few months back, but i think it's hardly potent enough to cause impotence.

anyway. these are just a lot of conjectures. anyone have an idea as to whats happening?

Yes there are hundreds of reports of loss of libido and erections from minoxidil. There is no official literature about it or documented clinical evidence and it just seems like every time someone mentions the link between libido and minoxidil to a doctor, they get dismissed and the side effect goes unreported. This is a prime example of how our health care system has FAILED us. I have stopped minoxidil for 3 months and still no improvment. My libido is non-existant

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i've been taking it regularly (or mostly regularly) for 2 and a half years and i've never had a problem. so even if it was the propecia, why would it start to happen now?
Of course it's possible. It's common that sides slowly creep up on long term users (me included)