Losing Hairline At 20? Or Maturing? Agh..

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,

Been ghosting these forums for a bit now, and I finally gave in to registering to get some more information on my situation. I'm worried about my hairline receding, but hoping that maybe it's just maturing.

A little about why I'm here...So last year I had shoulder length hair. I first started getting a little paranoid after finding a daily clump of hair in the shower, or when just running my hand through my hair. Didn't seem normal but I justified to myself that it was just normal shedding. Several months later got a haircut, and that's when I started taking notice to my hairline. I thought it had started receding at the temples just a bit and looked thinner in front. Everything seemed to add up that I was starting to lose some hair.

Now I was worried, because both of my grandfathers went bald rather early. My dad still has a thick head of hair, and he credits that to Rogaine. He and my mom recommended I start as well in order to keep what I have, so I did. He said if you catch it early, you've got a better chance of keeping your hair--so heck, I had to do something.

That was about 5 months ago, and I've been applying the 5% solution once a day. Since then, I've noticed my hair seems thicker--which is good! And my vertex is fine as of now, just has a cow lick. Density is fine. But I'm not convinced about my temples. My hair still seems like it's receding there, although I notice some smaller hairs around the area (see pics--is it regrowth or miniturization? My mom says it's regrowth and not to worry..)

So here are some pics. Does it look like a maturing hairline, or am I losing my hair? I hate obsessing over this but I was just hoping for some external input..as of right now, I'm going to continue Rogaine once a day but the last couple days I'm starting to see some bags under my eyes...hope I'm not getting sides and am just tired. Pardon the bedhead.

20190606_092426.jpg
20190606_092144.jpg
20190606_092112.jpg

20190606_092301.jpg

Anyways, all input is appreciated. Don't feel like you have to sugarcoat it. Just looking for advice on my next course of action, and hopefully I can put my mind at ease. Thanks!

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say that your hairline is too thin for a non balding person. So yes, you are unfortunately balding (welcome to the club).
Crap...can't I blame the lighting? ;)

What do you guys recommend I do to stop it in its tracks? Like I said, the minoxidil does seem to have thickened it overall. My temples just have small hairs, and can't tell if it's regrowth or miniturization.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's a pic from Feb (2 months after Minoxidil) compared to now (about 6 months after). Wouldn't you guys say it looks thicker in front?
20190606_102432.jpg

20190606_102407.jpg

BigOl'BaldingHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Crap...can't I blame the lighting? ;)

What do you guys recommend I do to stop it in its tracks? Like I said, the minoxidil does seem to have thickened it overall. My temples just have small hairs, and can't tell if it's regrowth or miniturization.

Start using finasteride and microneedling on the temples. That should help you maintain, and maybe offer you some regrowth as well.

Here's a pic from Feb (2 months after Minoxidil) compared to now (about 6 months after). Wouldn't you guys say it looks thicker in front?
View attachment 120697

View attachment 120696

Yes, it looks slightly thicker.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your hair looks great when it comes to density, although I am questioning the frontal section. You should use finasteride/dutasteride along with the minoxidil and see how it goes.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah, the front is what's worrying me right now. I haven't done too much research on finasteride but I know it has some nasty side effects. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to start that at 20 unless my hair loss gets pretty severe. I might have to wait and observe a while..

BigOl'BaldingHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah, the front is what's worrying me right now. I haven't done too much research on finasteride but I know it has some nasty side effects. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to start that at 20 unless my hair loss gets pretty severe. I might have to wait and observe a while..

When do you see yourself jumping on finasteride because most of the regrowth will be lost in <1 year? So if you don't mind maintaining a slightly better version of your hair you had before Minoxidil you can wait with finasteride. But you can always try topical finasteride, it has the same safety profile but because it is topical you will feel safer.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When do you see yourself jumping on finasteride because most of the regrowth will be lost in <1 year? So if you don't mind maintaining a slightly better version of your hair you had before Minoxidil you can wait with finasteride. But you can always try topical finasteride, it has the same safety profile but because it is topical you will feel safer.
You mean the Minoxidil regrowth I've had is gone within a year? And not sure I'm clear what you mean with this part:
So if you don't mind maintaining a slightly better version of your hair you had before Minoxidil you can wait with finasteride.

BigOl'BaldingHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
bjd470297.fig1a.jpg

Min starts off with explosive regrowth that you will lose over time. And I meant that since you will keep balding that you will eventually get back to baseline. So I hope that you are fine with how you looked during that period. But that will probably take 2-5 years.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 120705

Min starts off with explosive regrowth that you will lose over time. And I meant that since you will keep balding that you will eventually get back to baseline. So I hope that you are fine with how you looked during that period. But that will probably take 2-5 years.
Interesting, thanks for the information...so after a certain period of time minoxidil loses its effectiveness? And combining it with finasteride would be a more effective option?

I was ok with how I looked then, but the regrowth I've gotten has been much better. I don't want to lose any more than I have now, but I know that's unrealistic.

BigOl'BaldingHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the information...so after a certain period of time minoxidil loses its effectiveness? And combining it with finasteride would be a more effective option?

I was ok with how I looked then, but the regrowth I've gotten has been much better. I don't want to lose any more than I have now, but I know that's unrealistic.

Finasteride and minoxidil work synergetic. Minoxidil itself does not do anything to stop the balding process, it only offers regrowth. You need finasteride or something similar for that.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I read several discussions about if people my age should get on finasteride, and it seems the consensus is that I shouldn't start it at this point. I just don't know when the right time is to try it. Is it really necessary given my current situation?

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I read several discussions about if people my age should get on finasteride, and it seems the consensus is that I shouldn't start it at this point. I just don't know when the right time is to try it. Is it really necessary given my current situation?

It’s your choice. You should browse online and view the pros and cons of using it, and come to a conclusion.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk but hairline looks fine in the last pic. Sone what simmilar to mine.
Thanks for the reply. In some pictures it looks fine to me and in others it doesn't. What concerns me is how the hairline is thicker at the center than at the temples right now. I can kinda see through the hair at the temples, and I didn't used to have a widow's peak..

Appreciate the confidence boost though.

Iambatmanco

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is absolutely normal to have some form of hairloss at your age. Your hair density is also great. Hopefully when you start to see actual hairloss, by that time a cure may be there

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is absolutely normal to have some form of hairloss at your age. Your hair density is also great. Hopefully when you start to see actual hairloss, by that time a cure may be there
Here's to that. Hopefully Rogaine can do the trick for a while. More and more thinking I don't want to risk my future with finasteride yet...

Are there any recommended vitamin supplements to combine with Rogaine?