losing hair young sucks

soccerguy11

Reaction score
In the past 6 months I lost almost all my hair. 2 year ago in high school, I was popular and according to most girls had the BEST hair in my grade (thick curly brown-blond hair). Now I'm not even old enough to legally drink and I've lost my hair,as well as any motivation to do anything.

I'm currently studying abroad in China but have no interest in studying, or interacting with anyone or anything. Also, people simply don't believe me when I say my age.

I'm not suicidal, but I think I'm at that point right above that, where its really a struggle to want to get out of bed in the morning.

Last year at college i was playing in an intermural soccer game against a fraternity (my hair loss wasn't even nearly as bad at that point), and a bunch of guys from the other fraternity watching started shouting "ROGAINE" whenever I touched the ball. that was really cool.

Speaking of which, theres a good chance I'll drop out of college at the end of the summer, I really don't want to see anybody my age anymore.

I guess I'm not looking for either advise or support, because neither will change reality, but it was nice to get that off my chest anyways. good luck to all of you.

lnknstyl

Reaction score
Have you considered options such as topicals, propecia, hair transplant or hair systems?

I started losing my hair young (18-19), but it kinda helps to put your foot forward and look for a solution that would fit your particular situation.

It really does suck though...believe me, no one will understand your situation, if they are not experiencing hairloss already. Do not talk to anyone (parents, friends) about it. However, I have found this site to be very informative and supportive.

G

okay i have two options for you.

first is if you have money(about 15k or more) then do a hair transplant. but with fue not strip.

if you dont have enough money then get a hair system. though i know thats not for everyone.

3rd option is go on living like you do and get over it.[/list]

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
soccerguy11 said:
Speaking of which, theres a good chance I'll drop out of college at the end of the summer, I really don't want to see anybody my age anymore.

I know you're not soliciting advice but I feel compelled to interject. Entertaining dropping out of school, because of your hair, is pure foolishness. Yes, your hair bothers you now. It may bother you to some extent forever. I guarantee, however, that it will become less and less important to you over time - because you will eventually realize that you can operate in all facets of life without a perfect head of hair. That means women, career, everything. In fact, you can right now - you probably just can't get yourself to try.

One thing's for certain. If you quit school, you're giving yourself a lifetime sentence of reduced opportunity. That's not to say that people that don't go to school can't be successful - they certainly can - but the odds are definitely not in their favor. For those who have the opportunity to go to school, it's unthinkable to waste it. Believe me when I say that you'll regret, for the rest of you life, dropping out. Your concerns over hair won't even begin to approach the feeling you will have. Statistics show that those who do drop out usually don't return. Don't even think about letting it happen.

G

okay hairwegoagain, edison dropped out of school too and so did henry ford and many other great personalities. einstein too.

i would be careful to say that he *must* go on going to school.

but soccerguy i dont say its good to drop out of school. or college. but see, as long as you dont have something else to do and to earn money you should stay in school.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Edison and Henry Ford are famous for being exceptions to the rule. They are also products of a different age. I agree with Hairwegoagain and I have to say that in an era where job applications are sifted at an extremely basic level, not having gone to school is a considerable handicap.

One of my friends is having to work a temp job at £9 an hour because he got a B and two C's in his A-levels at school. This despite having a top Biochemistry doctorate. Employers don't bother to look at this qualification, but instead look at the two B's and a C and automatically reject him. It's crazy I know, but you can either rage against the hoops and get nowhere, or jump through them.

Either that or be a truly outstanding individual, have a game plan so hot that people will be licking your *** left right and centre, and break the mould.

soccerguy11

Reaction score
luckily my family does have money, and they do realize how bad this situation is for me, but with my diffuse thinning and my age, 90% of the people say I should wait at least a year before surgery., or else I'm screwing myself over.

Its the worst situation for surgery: diffusion plus young age...few doctors want to touch anyone like that. I'm on minoxidil and propecia, started 2 wks ago.

Trust me if surgery would help right now I'd be on it like white on rice, but realistically I think the shockloss would over-take the transplants. I guess another year of hell and waiting.

G

Losing hair young sucks indeed but it would suck even more to have cancer or to lose a leg or an arm. Put things into perspective, dude.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It does. Its especially bad if you start to see it at high school. I can say it affected my confidence alot.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
DonaldAnderson said:
Yeah. It does. Its especially bad if you start to see it at high school. I can say it affected my confidence alot.

I can relate to that, I noticed my hairline receding in the summer before sophomore year of high school. Plus getting jokes from people doesn't help. Then began my awful regimen of parting it in the middle. I looked so bad with that,

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
helpme007 said:
okay hairwegoagain, edison dropped out of school too and so did henry ford and many other great personalities. einstein too.

i would be careful to say that he *must* go on going to school.

Yes, doofus. That's why I qualified my original post. Since you brought it up though, why don't you do a collegechemistrystudent exercise and add up all of those no-school success stories, dividing by the total number of successful folks in the general population. Then tell me if those odds are promising enough for someone to reject the opportunity of a formal education.

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, i know i have a reputation for making many calculations based on assumptions, saying them like they are facts, and they getting a rebuttal from a study someone posts.

the only time to not complete college is if you have a business opportunity in your lap and are working on it and don't have time for college because it is promissing and you have finances to burn. my friend wes climbed the corporate ladder fast before graduating, and wished later that he had graduated first. i forget why. I think he said he'd be making twice as much at his job if he had a degree.

CCS

Reaction score
just ride the bus when you know a car would get you to fun places, and stress over financing basics, and not have enough money to do much, and you will see that there is more you can miss in life than not having a girlfriend. At least with a degree you can make money to go have some fun.

two B's and one C? i have more bad grades than that. My GPA is 2.3, and I'm halfway through. I hope if I do well in my upper division classes, and volunteer for professors in their labs, I can make up for that. The average gpa at my school and most of the country is 3.2.

CCS

Reaction score
my chemical engineering professor is letting me do research for him this summer. he is impressed with my thought process, but says my knowledge base is so small that many of my assumptions are wrong. And i've been averaging about 10 hours of work for him and spending 60 researching hair loss. summer is almost over, and i have to learn the last chapter in a class i did not do well in last semester because my thermodynamics class picks up where the other left off in the same book. life would be easier if i'd stop researching hair loss and trying to figure out how to test drugs. a lot easier.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I feel for you re: thermo. We had a nickname for that class that's not appropriate for the forum. The only thing worse than Thermo was Thermo II, closely followed by Heat Transfer. I still have nightmares about pebble bed heat exchangers and regenerative steam turbine design.

On that unsavory note, time for bed.

pkpkpk!

Reaction score
I'd be on it like white on rice

Booyah ... I'll be borrowing that!

Guy ... I'm in the same boat as you. Norwood 4 diffuse at early 20's? EXCEPT my family is poor and so am I. hair transplant? Haaaa, never.

Basically I just said "@#$ it" and forgot about my hairloss and just shaved it off at 20, hit the gym and did what I was good at (SWIM COMPETITIVELY).

Look, real girls dig humour and confidence. Bite the bald jokes and just laugh with them. What are you gonna do? Defend and say you're not bald? It's a bloody shiny dome. And stash up wth a repitoire of things to say back.

"I save $1000's from hair products"
"You win some and you lose some (literally), but I'll be wining again when I kick your sorry a55 when I ____ ... "

Put some effort, life aint' that easy.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen some guys that have it worse than me. I can give an example of someone who was thinning heavily in his junior year of high school. I see him working one day after HS graduation and it looks like he shaved his head.

I saw him again one time a few months ago and he is a Norwood 6 or 7 at 22. He doesn't really mind either. Just when I thought my loss was bad, someone else's was worse.

There is an old saying is there is someone who has it worse than you.

With the insults in college soccerguy, don't let those insults bother you and drop out because of it. What a bunch of insecure guys. I didn't even get one insult about my hair in college.

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
ok soccerguy. your hairloss is definitely a shocker and not turned 21.

i can see that it must be very difficult to come to terms with hairloss as virulent as that. you see all your friends with full bouncing heads of hair and envy wells up inside you.

however the good news: you have a great shape head for carrying off the shaved look.

also you dont seem to have delayed in taking the shaved approach. thats good also. some blokes take ages deliberating over whether to try hiding baldness with all kinds of silly combovers.

you done what you can...now leave it alone. you done your best and that's all you can do.

get your college degree.