Losing hair on only one side of your head

Felk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive had an awful shock today. It's always been obvious that the right temple has receding more than the left (and ive read the explanations for why this happens), and the left side of my head has a much better look, but now ive realised something.

I have around twice the density on my left side of my head on the frontal region that on my right. I tilt my head to the light and there are big gaps in the hair on the right, and the left is solid. This makes my amount of hair loss so obvious, as all i have to do is compare the two.

This is a horrible effect - the left side is much curlier as well as thicker and less receded, and im wondering if it's down to something else, as its more than the typical uneven recession.

Im wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences?

bodysnatcher

Established Member
Reaction score
Obviously no one on here can tell the extent of you un-symetrical hair loss without pics.

It's a possibility your imagination is blowing it out of proprtion.

Is the lighting in this room with a mirror directly above/behind you or is it to one side?

If your convinced though, my opinion is ask a doctor.

DownTheDrain

Reaction score
Felk said:
Hey guys,

I have around twice the density on my left side of my head on the frontal region that on my right. I tilt my head to the light and there are big gaps in the hair on the right, and the left is solid. This makes my amount of hair loss so obvious, as all i have to do is compare the two.

Im wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences?

Yeah I have the same thing. I have more temple recession on the right side of my head, and I thought it was because I have a right parting where I comb it the most. I think this is the first time when I thought that I was losing hair.

I was puzzled at first thinking is it because I comb too much to on one side of my head??? So I took some vitamins (mainly Nourkrin) to strengthen my hair and hopefully lower the amount of fallout. At the moment, I think my recession has not gotten any worse, nor any better.

When I see myself in the mirror it does look wierd.

dark_one

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably not what you care to hear, but you are on your way most likely (if you are a diffuse thinner) to becoming fully bald on top, if you weren't on any treatment. You see what is happening on your right side? Especially if you are not responding to treatment, the same will eventually begin on your left side. This time gap yields the asymmetrical pattern that you currently notice. In the end the result will be the same regardless of the path your male pattern baldness is taking, assuming your male pattern baldness will progress to NW6 or 7.

G

yes, i have this problem tooo.. my right temple is a lot worser than my left one.. not only more receeded, but less density. i need toppik there

but i don't need to put toppik on my left one. i think that says all.

i have seen this problem i a lot of hollywood stars too, so i guess is pretty common for male pattern baldness sufferers.

Tom Hanks for exmaple has the right one more receeded:

15tz3.jpg

G

LostWind said:
I heard the two sides are un even because there is a better blood circulation on the left side because that is where the heart is.

is this a joke?

I have seen a lot of people lately, doing a link between blood circulation, and level of hairloss.

I thought all that was a MYTH..

Now im confused.

I get bothered when i see lots of sites saying "this or that" is a MYTH.

Then i see alot of guys saying that all those things ar enot myths..

DAMN, this disease must be one of the most confusing ones in earth. :-x

G

and here is my irregular hairline, you can see my right temple is more receeded and less density than left one..

day by day, i believe the norwood scale is totally obsolete nowadays.. lots of guys don't match any of the norwood scale levels.. norwood scale is old, is from the 70's or 80's.. they need an update urgently.

the current norwood scale is obsolete for many of us.

hairline0xh.jpg

The Gardener

Reaction score
What you describe is VERY normal.

All humans have a 'stronger' side to their hair than the other. Men will always have one temple that is receeded further than the other, and it is usually their right temple that is the worst side.

This is because hair does NOT grow from rear to front, it grows in a spiral pattern starting at the crown (where some have a "cowlick"), and working out. And, follicles in male pattern baldness sufferers are programmed to miniaturize in a certain sequential pattern. So, for those whose hair grows in a clockwise spiral the right hand side thins the worst because the hairs there are affected for being temple hairs, and also hairs on the outermost ring of your spiral growth pattern.

nwspiral5ne.jpg

powersam

Reaction score
haha no its not because the heart is on the left side of your body. please.

and yes circulation does seem to play some small role in balding. actually i just decided i cant be bothered finding the other thread where this was mentioned so i wont..