Looking for any advice that might help

29andloseing

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Maria and I am 29 and I have been losing my hair off and on again since I was about 16. I noticed I first started losing my hair when I was about 16. It started it a bit of a itchy scalp and then that went away but my hair kept getting thinner. I noticed when I started taking birth control that my hair started to grow back not as thick as it was when I first started losing but it did start to grow back. Also I was having migraines and when I started my birth control they went to where I hardly ever had one. I have gone to a dermatologist and he did some scalp biopsies and said that it was just female patter baldness. But if that was the case my hair would not grow back while on birth control. I was wondering what test other people might have had and suggest that I get. I have had my thyroid tested and it was normal. But I do have low iron. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. But I have lost my insurance and am having to pay for my future test out of my own pocket and am looking for some advice on which ones I should get done. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Maria

stayingpositive

Reaction score
Hi Maria,

I am in the same boat as you. I recently saw my Dr. and she told me that I might have PCOS. I have very regular periods so I have ruled that out but she said that it might still be a possibility. I have to see an endocrinologist to have them do extensive hormonal testing. It costs a bit of money but I am thinking of getting health insurance just to be able to pay for the tests since they are very expensive. I wish you luck!

Girlygirl

Reaction score
Low iron can have alot to do with your hair loss if it's extremely low. Try over the counter iron with vitamin c so it absorbs better. Your iron has to be a certain level to maintain healthy hair. My iron is also low not to bad though but enough for my doctor to be concerned. I believe it was 114 and I go back to get it checked in a couple weeks. Some other tests to rule out would be getting your hormones tested and scalp ringworm. I'm also in the same boat with no insurance but if there's a community health center in your area. Give it a shot. They go based on your income and also do lab work. I pay $ 5 a visit including my lab work which is where I tested my thyroid and iron and also gotten my perscriptions. Best of wishes hunny.