laser hair removal - stop autoimmune attack?

rml

Reaction score
Does anyone have any first or second hand experience with using laser hair removal to remove all hair in a person with alopecia areata? The idea is to shave my head but do it in a way to eliminate the other effects of alopecia (red/pink spots, itchiness) so I can "simply" be comfortably bald...

I am ready to "throw in the towel" after 4 or 5 periodic (every 18-24 mos) bouts of increasingly more severe hair loss over the last decade. But if/when I shave my head I am concerned that the alopecia flare ups will still "surface" as pink or red spots on my scalp and still come with the itchy uncomfortable feeling associated with the hair loss.

When I pushed my dermatologist towards giving up on the various treatments (primarily topical steroids + minoxidil) and instead shaving my head, he raised those concerns and suggested that laser hair removal *might* change the architecture of the hair follicles under attack and shut down alopecia process. But it was a educated guess without evidence that it will work.

In short, I'm all good with getting rid of what is normally a full head of hair to close the books on this condition for good....but I want to be comfortably and cleanly bald.....

Any input?

Thank you.

Albertsmith

Reaction score
Though it is always best to check with a reputed skin center. Also, laser hair removal is known to be best treatment to remove the hairs permanently.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Rml, Sorry for your desperate state . How long has your doctor been treating scalp you with topical steroids? Thanx for indulging my curiosity.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I just realized I'm replying to a 3+ old thread. Hey Rml if you're still in radar how are things going for you and your hair issue status?
Rml, Sorry for your desperate state . How long has your doctor been treating scalp you with topical steroids? Thanx for indulging my curiosity.