Korean Wave's Story [20, nizoral 2%]

Korean Wave

Reaction score
Although this is my first post, I have been on these forums a lot longer under a different username. My story, under my old username does exist, I just cannot find it.

Ok cut to the chase. I am 20 and have been suffering from hair loss since the age of 16. I have taken photos today and I honestly did not believe my hair was this bad. I used to be on finasteride, but stopped that due to fear of sexual sides. So now I use Nizoral 2% on a regular basis, as well as Nioxin Shampoo. I also include vitamins in my diet (as supplements) such as vitamin D, Zinc and Biotin. I am looking for an overview on my hair loss as well as a suggested route to recovery.

My past, well... Grandad NW6 by mid 20's, as well as his son (my uncle). Dad NW5 mid 20's.

Here are the pics.

Late 2010 (Age 17)

pic 4.jpgpic 5.jpgpic 6.jpg

2013 Present (Age 20)

Pic 1.jpgpic 2.jpgpic 3.jpg

I have not taken any pics of my crown as it looks decent. However in my post 3 years back, my crown was suffering quite a bit. I think finasteride saved it though.

Advice please? :)

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi there! looks like it's thinning quite aggressively at temples and in the front for you young age. You need to get back on finasteride as soon as possible. There is no reason you should worry about sides when you haven't expereienced them yet. Start with a low dose if concerned about sides. Also have you considered using Minoxidil at all?

By the way, out of curiosity, why 'Korean Wave'? you don't look korean:fun:

Korean Wave

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply talmoode. In comparison to those older photos, how bad has my hair loss been in those 2 years?

Experiences of finasteride have been a little bad, and I'm not just on about the paranoia of sides. When I used finasteride, it seemed to help my hair but ruined the density of the hair as a whole. I was on 1.25mg of Proscar. Was it too much of a high dose?

I've used minoxidill at the age of 16. It was very messy, stressful and I got side effects such as wrinkles. I hated the idea of having to apply it over my whole scalp and shorter hair does not suit me.

To your last question, I named myself "Korean Wave" as their culture have such perfect hair which never becomes damaged through their diet, what they do to their hair. They're very lucky. It was a little last minute when thinking of the user name,

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No worries!

looks like frontal hair's got thinner:sobbing: how long were you on finasteride before stopping? maybe it was an initial shedding?
I don't think 1.25mg was too much but if you consider starting it again, maybe try 0.5mg first for a few weeks then up the does. It normally takes 1 to 2 years for finasteride to work so be patient!!

FYI. I am korean and believe me 1/5 of korean population suffer from some forms of hair loss. They are just very good at disguising their hair loss!!!!

Korean Wave

Reaction score
No worries!

looks like frontal hair's got thinner:sobbing: how long were you on finasteride before stopping? maybe it was an initial shedding?
I don't think 1.25mg was too much but if you consider starting it again, maybe try 0.5mg first for a few weeks then up the does. It normally takes 1 to 2 years for finasteride to work so be patient!!

FYI. I am korean and believe me 1/5 of korean population suffer from some forms of hair loss. They are just very good at disguising their hair loss!!!!

I am very worried that finasteride will destroy my hair like last time. The density of my hair seemed to have decreased and my hairline did not improve either. I know finasteride won't work miracles, but it seemed to damage my hair more than anything else. I wish there was a straight forward explanation to this.

My regime at the minute is the following;
Nizoral 2% - 2 - 3 times a week
Nioxin System 2 - 2 - 3 times a week
Vitamin D supplement
Zinc supplement
Biotin supplement

Reaction score
Man... biotin, a zinc supplement, vitamin D? your current treatment won't do anything for you, at all. And yeah, I know there are some studies around there saying Nizoral can help you improve a little bit... but I don't think it will help you by itself... your hair is certainly thinner than before, and it seems like your father's and your gramp's loss was quite agressive. With this antecedents and this treatment well... you're ****ed... good luck though...

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey elephant night stop scaring the guy! lol. Neways ive personally experienced the whole messy minoxidil and finasteride shedding phase and i quit treatment a while ago because i didnt want to ride out the sheds.. neways finasteride and minoxidil are the only proven treatments for male pattern baldness till now and from your pic it looks like you have a bit of recession. I personally think you should ride out the finasteride shedding phase and try to maintain what you have.. even im going through the same dilemma as you.. im going to start treatment again. BTW did you notice any side effects when you used finasteride before? and did your thinned hair grow back?

Korean Wave

Reaction score
My crown was the only thing that improved. The density of my hair was ruined since beginning finasteride, especially around the hairline. That is why I am so scared of finasteride. I don't think I got sides. Where is the best place to buy finasteride from in the UK?

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Korean wave, it looks like you did maintain and regrow hair on finasteride before. Maybe the thin hairs were from your shed? How long did you use finasteride for?. I believe finasteride wrecked my hairline too, Ive even posted a thread on it . Im not sure where to purchase finasteride in the uk. Tell me if you're starting finasteride soon, maybe I can join you. Btw have you considered dutasteride or ru?

Korean Wave

Reaction score
Hey Korean wave, it looks like you did maintain and regrow hair on finasteride before. Maybe the thin hairs were from your shed? How long did you use finasteride for?. I believe finasteride wrecked my hairline too, Ive even posted a thread on it . Im not sure where to purchase finasteride in the uk. Tell me if you're starting finasteride soon, maybe I can join you. Btw have you considered dutasteride or ru?

I've seen your story and your thread in regards to your hairline. You hair is fine. I wouldn't even start the treatments until you DO notice a reasonable change. I might consider finasteride, I will just keep an eye out on my hair and get opinions from doctors and hairdressers. I will not consider RU, however I may consider dutasteride depending on my results with finasteride.

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Korean wave, dutasteride maybe your only hope of regrowing all that hair in the frontal region, finasteride will only maintain with minimal regrowth at best. And I started minoxidil and finasteride due to vertex hair loss not temporal thinning but finasteride and minoxidil did make my frontal region very thin. I guess it was the shedding and I should have rode it out, neways I'm going to start a new thread with an update soon. So are you starting finasteride? And you did not tell me how long you had used it before you quit the last time? Give finasteride a try hopefully it will work this time.

Korean Wave

Reaction score
Hey Korean wave, dutasteride maybe your only hope of regrowing all that hair in the frontal region, finasteride will only maintain with minimal regrowth at best. And I started minoxidil and finasteride due to vertex hair loss not temporal thinning but finasteride and minoxidil did make my frontal region very thin. I guess it was the shedding and I should have rode it out, neways I'm going to start a new thread with an update soon. So are you starting finasteride? And you did not tell me how long you had used it before you quit the last time? Give finasteride a try hopefully it will work this time.

I was using finasteride for over 7 months, and then I wanted to stop since I was pretty sure it was wrecking my hair. I will possibly start it again soon.

Korean Wave

Reaction score
Would like to update you all on my traumatic battle with male pattern baldness.

Treatments:

Nizoral 2% every three days
Regenepure
Avodart 0.5 every day (past year and a half)

My hair over the last month has got increasingly worse. The density of my hair has dramatically fell and I am worried since I am taking the best oral treatment for hair loss. What would people suggest?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 393

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
did the onset of your shedding start suddenly the past month, or have you been steadily shedding the past year while on avodart? reason i ask is because you may just be experiencing a shedding phase--you're body is breaking off the old hairs and newer ones will grow in their place.

Korean Wave

Reaction score
I did have my hair short around this time last year, and I was unpleasantly surprised by the density of my hair.

Here are some pics..

I kept my hair quite long after that, so I could determine whether new hairs grew back, or I was just disguising it...

My scalp get greasy with sebum very quickly, and the drug has not has any negative impact on my sexual health at all which makes me worry that the drug isn't working?

Here is a photograph of myself, was wondering if anyone can guess whether I'd make an okay bald just for a piece of mind...

Attachments

• aug 15 162.jpg
    aug 15 162.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 477
  • aug 15 219.jpg
    aug 15 219.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 449
  • 2016-06-14 14.44.56.jpg
    2016-06-14 14.44.56.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 470

Korean Wave

Reaction score
Would wondering if someone could recommend advice.

My hairline has drastically decreased in density.

On 0.5mg of Dutasteride for over a year now, use a dermaroller, Nizoral.

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would wondering if someone could recommend advice.

My hairline has drastically decreased in density.

On 0.5mg of Dutasteride for over a year now, use a dermaroller, Nizoral.

Hey bud, long time. I've been thinking about antiandrogens (finasteride/dutasteride), Imo they only maintain, some people see great regrowth though. I see your pics and your balding is barely noticeable, very minor diffuse thinning. I am on finasteride 4 years and dutasteride 3 months now, and honestly i seem to have the same issues as you.

Have you considered adding minoxidil?. I am seriously thinking of doing the big 3 seriously. I dropped minoxidil years ago due to it exacerbating my seborrheic dermatitis. I think minoxidil would thicken up those hairs of yours. Right now your on the big 2 which means that youll maintain with dutasteride and keto. If you want cosmetic thickening minoxidil seems logical.

Korean Wave

Reaction score
Barely noticeable... I hardly think I am maintains. My hair feels like a toilet brush recently. Here are some more photos... Please someone help. What should I do. dutasteride is doing f*** all for my hair...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

phoisgood

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that this is an old old thread, but I hope that things worked out for you. God, that must have been horribly traumatic :\ Best wishes to you and anybody who might be reading this.